re-installing windows xp pro

Hi I am getting a new hard drive so I thought I would install Windows XP Pro
afresh. Do I need to install SP1 before I install SP2? I have the network
file for SP2.

Thanks Tricia

Hello Tricia

After you installed your Windows XP, please use an SP2 CD to update your
system, if you do not have one please go to the update page of Microsoft
windows.
Before you do that, please first install an virus checker and an firewall
(these you have reinstall or update later to get rid of problems after
worths).

After you did so, updating to SP2 you do not have to instal service pack 1
since these files are overwritten by service pack 2.
The changes are already notable since the firewall settings and display are
different like also the viruswarning in the safety center of Windows XP SP2
version.
After updating to SP2 there are limmited files available for updating your
system, since most of them are inserted to SP2.

Greetings and freindly regards from the Netherlands.
Frank

"Tricia" wrote:

> Hi I am getting a new hard drive so I thought I would install Windows XP Pro
> afresh. Do I need to install SP1 before I install SP2? I have the network
> file for SP2.
>
> Thanks Tricia

No. SP2 also contains all the files that were on SP1. Just install windows
xp pro followed by SP2

--
John Barnett MVP
Associate Expert

"Tricia" <tricialal2000@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> Hi I am getting a new hard drive so I thought I would install Windows XP
> Pro afresh. Do I need to install SP1 before I install SP2? I have the
> network file for SP2.
>
> Thanks Tricia

As the others said, SP1 is not needed, it's superseeded by SP2. But where is
that "network file for SP2"? If on the hard disk that's gonna be changed,
have you any means of burning it to CD?? Or will that HD stay in the
machine, either a) as master HD or b) as slave disk?

If a) you don't have to install XP again, just install the new HD as slave
on primary IDE, boot XP and run diskmgmt.msc from Start->Run
Select the new unpartitioned/unformatted drive in rigth windows and
partition/format it, then just use it

If b) UNPLUG network cable, install new drive as master on primary IDE,
install XP. Power down, install old HD as slave (jumper!) on same cable, run
SP2 from old drive (might need to take ownership)....

--
Tumppi
Reply to group

"Tricia" <tricialal2000@yahoo.co.uk> kirjoitti viestissä