Problem After OS Reinstall

Jeff9

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2008
I recently reinstalled XP Pro on my system to clean it out and start fresh. Seeing as I had done this multiple times in the past, I didn't think it would be a big deal. This time, I didn't install internet because it was not needed (I did install directx though). However, when I loaded Flight Simulator 2004, my FPS were 10-15 less than they were before the OS reinstall. So, I figured that a setting was tweaked wrong and reinstalled the OS again...and again to no avail. I double-checked my settings and defraged, etc. Next I zoned in on hardware after a member of another forum thought that my hard drive might be the issue. I ordered one, but it didn't help. I'm truly at a loss as of what to do. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

My system is...
3.4 GHz P4
2GB Corsair RAM
256MB ATI X800XL
160GB WD HD

Here's what I know-
1. reinstalling the OS doesn't help
2. the hard drive is not the culprit
3. all of my other programs run as a fast as before (maybe a graphics issue?)

All of this is leading me to believe I have a video card issue, but what would spark a problem by reinstalling the OS?

Help me please!

Jeff

ainarssems

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2008
Have You all the latest drivers? Also could be overheating or dying PSU. Start with trying newest drivers or the versions that You had before reinstall if You remember.

Jeff9

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2008
My updated the video drivers, what other drivers should I look at? I don't think my PSU is overheating, possibly dying though?

Jeff9

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2008
All of the exact same settings. Usually I would be able to diagnose the problem into software or hardware and then go from there but this problem really confuses me. I don't know where to start.

rtfm

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2007
Install os with internet and install all xp updates, plus download driver for your gfx card from ati website and latest mopbo drivers (again from internet) and see if that makes a difference. Good luck!

rtfm

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2007
Found a patch (Flight Simulator 2004 9.1) :

Which is described as:
"
This update for Microsoft Flight Simulator 2004: A Century of Flight fixes numerous bugs discovered since the games release:

Addressed slow frame rates for flights repeatedly in and out of a common area. Frame rate decreases have been corrected by fixes to Autogen scenery behavior and memory allocation."

Just google "Flight Simulator 2004 9.1"

Jeff9

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2008
I will reinstall the drivers mentioned when I reinstall the OS again today. I'll double check, but I think my version of FS9 was through the patch. Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I'll post my results later.

Jeff

Jeff9

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2008
Ok so I installed the chipset drivers, an updated directX, the 9.1 patch and no increase in performance. I honestly am starting to think its my video card. Here's the clue- whenever I lower terrain texture size and terrain mesh complexity to minimum values, my performance is unusually better. I say unusually because these settings used to have barely, if any, effect when everything was working properly. Maybe my card (X800XL, 3 years old) is having trouble processing/rendering the textures? What do you guys think?

Jeff