Can't delete a .dll files

I'm using Windows XP (SP1).

When I try to delete a particular .dll file (not an XP system file), an
error message displays saying file cannot be accessed, disk full or write
protected. Does anyone know how I can delete the file? Thanks...
--
rlambert1

Hi,

First you must disable whatever program or process is using the file. If you
are unsure of which it is, download and run a process viewer, there are many
freeware ones available.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"rlambert1" <rlambert1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm using Windows XP (SP1).
>
> When I try to delete a particular .dll file (not an XP system file), an
> error message displays saying file cannot be accessed, disk full or write
> protected. Does anyone know how I can delete the file? Thanks...
> --
> rlambert1

Do you have a boot up disk? If so, you can boot up using this disk and then
search for all instances of this .dll under DOS. There may be two copies of
this .dll. I'm uncertain of your computer skill level, but you have to be
at least somewhat familiar with DOS commands to search for and delete the
files. You must remove all copies or else the system will simply revert
back to one of them because .dll's are system file protected.

If you do not have a boot up disk, then you must turn off the system file
protection and then remove all copies of the .dll. To turn off the system
file protection mean editing various items in your registry settings then
undoing these edits later. Again, I'm uncertain of your computer skill
level, but novice computer users shouldn't editing registry settings because
if they make a mistake, it can really cause problems. Sorry, I'm not able
to inform you as to which registry settings need to be edited for this
particular task.

Please reply to the newsgroup.
Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and
confers no rights.

"rlambert1" <rlambert1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm using Windows XP (SP1).
>
> When I try to delete a particular .dll file (not an XP system file), an
> error message displays saying file cannot be accessed, disk full or write
> protected. Does anyone know how I can delete the file? Thanks...
> --
> rlambert1

Of course if the OP's disk is formatted as NTFS, booting from a standard DOS
boot disk will be a pointless exercise in futility, because DOS is unaware
of NTFS and is, thus, unable to read NTFS partitions.

Yes, I am aware that SysInternals has developed a version of DOS that can
read NTFS partitions.

--
steve

nhit_whit_thenut_@yahoo.com
remove _thenut_ to reach me

"M Lew [MSFT]" <mlew@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Do you have a boot up disk? If so, you can boot up using this disk and
then
> search for all instances of this .dll under DOS. There may be two copies
of
> this .dll. I'm uncertain of your computer skill level, but you have to be
> at least somewhat familiar with DOS commands to search for and delete the
> files. You must remove all copies or else the system will simply revert
> back to one of them because .dll's are system file protected.
>
> If you do not have a boot up disk, then you must turn off the system file
> protection and then remove all copies of the .dll. To turn off the system
> file protection mean editing various items in your registry settings then
> undoing these edits later. Again, I'm uncertain of your computer skill
> level, but novice computer users shouldn't editing registry settings
because
> if they make a mistake, it can really cause problems. Sorry, I'm not able
> to inform you as to which registry settings need to be edited for this
> particular task.
>

> Please reply to the newsgroup.
> Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and
> confers no rights.
>

> "rlambert1" <rlambert1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I'm using Windows XP (SP1).
> >
> > When I try to delete a particular .dll file (not an XP system file), an
> > error message displays saying file cannot be accessed, disk full or
write
> > protected. Does anyone know how I can delete the file? Thanks...
> > --
> > rlambert1

pop

Boot to Safe Mode and try the delete from there. To get to Safe
Mode, press F8 before windows starts to load.

Pop