New System Help

Phyrestar

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2003
I just finished building my new system with an Asus A7N8X Deluxe, AMD XP 2600 w/333 FSB, 2X512MB OCZ 3500 EL RAM, Liteon CD-RW, WD 80GB HD w/8MB cache, and my old Radeon . Upon booting it for the first everything went well except i have no signal to the monitor. At first i was not going to install a video card as i was going to use the onboard graphics to hold out until i could afford a new GeForce FX or whatever ATI has to offer when the time comes. SO when i went to connect the monitor to the motherboard in the back, there was no port for it. So i took my Radeon 32MB SDR out form my old computer and installed it in my new one as it had a port to connect the monitor to. I did this and then tried booting but now i get no signal to the monitor. Anybody have any idea whats going on here? All help would be appreciated.

stupid_tech_geek

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2002
I have heard that the Nforce2 board doesn't play nice with the Radeon cards (go figure, I mean they are competitors in the graphics card market right?) but I don't know if there's any truth to that. I have a g force 2 and my rig worked from the first post. What bios are you using? Check to see if the onboard video is disabled. Is the card an agp or pci? If it's an agp check the settings in the bios and try to tweak them a bit. You can change it back to 4x or 2x if it doesn't work at 8x. Also you might want to check the other settings in the bios. I've heard that some people are getting boards without default settings. Good luck.

Another Gatesware Drone. You WILL Be Assimilated.
My rig:
Asus A7N8X Deluxe
AMD Athlon XP1700
Abit Siluro GForce2 AGP
2x 256m crucial ram

Spitfire_x86

Splendid
Jun 26, 2002
If your card is a 3.3V AGP 2x card, then it won't work with nForce2. nForce2 works only with AGP 4x and AGP 8x cards

<A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/community/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=26708#26708" target="_new"> Go to my CPU Vendor Poll </A>

KWPLunchbox

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2003
I don't know the voltage off the top of my head for the old Radeon but it should be okay. There will be a red LED lit up under the AGP slot if it won't work.

Most likely it is your OCZ PC3500 ram. You need to flash your bios or change the settings manually. Read the other threads for the settings. Of course, you need some older/slower DDR to do so.

<font color=purple> You know its bad when license plate letters all look like file extensions </font color=purple>

stupid_tech_geek

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2002
Actually that's not exactly true about the agp 2 video cards not working in this board. I am running an abit siluro gf2 agp card in my system. Before I bought this board I read the white pages from the asus web site and they claim that it is backward compatable. I am running the 1001.g bios with agp 8x enabled' recent detonator(xp) nvidia drivers and the all in one 1.16 driver on my system.

Another Gatesware Drone. You WILL Be Assimilated.
My rig:
Asus A7N8X Deluxe
AMD Athlon XP1700
Abit Siluro GForce2 AGP
2x 256m crucial ram