I recently bought a notebook and it comes with a OEM
version of XP. Naturally, the sales shop technician has
chosen the language option as English when he first start
the system. The questions:

1. If I need a non english "interface" XP, do I have to
get another copy of that particular language version of XP
cd to make reinstallation?

2. If it is true on 1, what should I do on the existing
XP, since it contain certain special programs like
recovery program from the manufacturer?

Thanks for the help.

Is it XP Home or XP Pro? XP Pro has multi-language
support, XP Home does not.
To actually change the menu language, you have to buy a copy
of XP in that language and either do a clean install or
setup a dual-boot system.
Contact the notebook mfg'r for options to upgrade your
software if you want to retain support and warranty service.

"rikeyu" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:2e9501c4c259$537941b0$a401280a@phx.gbl...
|I recently bought a notebook and it comes with a OEM
| version of XP. Naturally, the sales shop technician has
| chosen the language option as English when he first start
| the system. The questions:
|
| 1. If I need a non english "interface" XP, do I have to
| get another copy of that particular language version of XP
| cd to make reinstallation?
|
| 2. If it is true on 1, what should I do on the existing
| XP, since it contain certain special programs like
| recovery program from the manufacturer?
|
| Thanks for the help.

Hi Rikeyu,

> 1. If I need a non english "interface" XP, do I have to
> get another copy of that particular language version of XP
> cd to make reinstallation?

Yes. And it has to be a clean installation, not a repair installation or
"over the top". The only exception to this is the MUI available to volume
license holders (generally these are only large corporations).

> 2. If it is true on 1, what should I do on the existing
> XP, since it contain certain special programs like
> recovery program from the manufacturer?

They would be useless to you and cannot be ported over to the new
installation for two reasons: 1) They have to be reinstalled from the
original installation media and 2) they may require english language files
for support, and you won't have these anymore.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"rikeyu" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I recently bought a notebook and it comes with a OEM
> version of XP. Naturally, the sales shop technician has
> chosen the language option as English when he first start
> the system. The questions:
>
> 1. If I need a non english "interface" XP, do I have to
> get another copy of that particular language version of XP
> cd to make reinstallation?
>
> 2. If it is true on 1, what should I do on the existing
> XP, since it contain certain special programs like
> recovery program from the manufacturer?
>
> Thanks for the help.

Jim;
The Multilingual User Interface is only available to Volume License
customers:
http://www.microsoft.com/globaldev/DrIntl/faqs/MUIFaq.mspx
See Question 6.

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/

> Is it XP Home or XP Pro? XP Pro has multi-language
> support, XP Home does not.
> To actually change the menu language, you have to buy a copy
> of XP in that language and either do a clean install or
> setup a dual-boot system.
> Contact the notebook mfg'r for options to upgrade your
> software if you want to retain support and warranty service.

> "rikeyu" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> message news:2e9501c4c259$537941b0$a401280a@phx.gbl...
> |I recently bought a notebook and it comes with a OEM
> | version of XP. Naturally, the sales shop technician has
> | chosen the language option as English when he first start
> | the system. The questions:
> |
> | 1. If I need a non english "interface" XP, do I have to
> | get another copy of that particular language version of XP
> | cd to make reinstallation?
> |
> | 2. If it is true on 1, what should I do on the existing
> | XP, since it contain certain special programs like
> | recovery program from the manufacturer?
> |
> | Thanks for the help.

Thanks, I was thinking about the options in Regional and
Language in Pro.

"Jupiter Jones [MVP]" <jones_jupiter@hotnomail.com> wrote in
message news:unIkGOswEHA.2540@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
| Jim;
| The Multilingual User Interface is only available to
Volume License
| customers:
| http://www.microsoft.com/globaldev/DrIntl/faqs/MUIFaq.mspx
| See Question 6.
|
| --
| Jupiter Jones [MVP]
| http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/

in message
| > Is it XP Home or XP Pro? XP Pro has multi-language
| > support, XP Home does not.
| > To actually change the menu language, you have to buy a
copy
| > of XP in that language and either do a clean install or
| > setup a dual-boot system.
| > Contact the notebook mfg'r for options to upgrade your
| > software if you want to retain support and warranty
service.

| > --
| >

| > "rikeyu" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
| > message news:2e9501c4c259$537941b0$a401280a@phx.gbl...
| > |I recently bought a notebook and it comes with a OEM
| > | version of XP. Naturally, the sales shop technician
has
| > | chosen the language option as English when he first
start
| > | the system. The questions:
| > |
| > | 1. If I need a non english "interface" XP, do I have
| > | get another copy of that particular language version
of XP
| > | cd to make reinstallation?
| > |
| > | 2. If it is true on 1, what should I do on the
existing
| > | XP, since it contain certain special programs like
| > | recovery program from the manufacturer?
| > |
| > | Thanks for the help.

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

A final question to solve my problem:

IS IT OK TO INSTALL A JAPANESE VERSION OF MSOFFICE XP/2002 TO A ENGLISH
VERSION OF XP HOME SP2(WITH THE SETTING OF JAP "LOCALE" THING)?

"Jupiter Jones [MVP]" wrote:

> Jim;
> The Multilingual User Interface is only available to Volume License
> customers:
> http://www.microsoft.com/globaldev/DrIntl/faqs/MUIFaq.mspx
> See Question 6.
>
> --
> Jupiter Jones [MVP]
> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/
>

> "Jim Macklin" <p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm> wrote in message
> > Is it XP Home or XP Pro? XP Pro has multi-language
> > support, XP Home does not.
> > To actually change the menu language, you have to buy a copy
> > of XP in that language and either do a clean install or
> > setup a dual-boot system.
> > Contact the notebook mfg'r for options to upgrade your
> > software if you want to retain support and warranty service.
> >
> > --
> > The people think the Constitution protects their rights;
> > But government sees it as an obstacle to be overcome.
> >

> > "rikeyu" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> > message news:2e9501c4c259$537941b0$a401280a@phx.gbl...
> > |I recently bought a notebook and it comes with a OEM
> > | version of XP. Naturally, the sales shop technician has
> > | chosen the language option as English when he first start
> > | the system. The questions:
> > |
> > | 1. If I need a non english "interface" XP, do I have to
> > | get another copy of that particular language version of XP
> > | cd to make reinstallation?
> > |
> > | 2. If it is true on 1, what should I do on the existing
> > | XP, since it contain certain special programs like
> > | recovery program from the manufacturer?
> > |
> > | Thanks for the help.

I think it will work, but I don't know for sure.