browser hijacking

Something keeps changing my IE homepage to ads.revenue websites that are
trying to sell me things like gambling, tours, etc. I have changed it back
each time in the "options" menu, but it changes it right back. How do I find
the .exe that is causing this and permanently delete it? It is also adding
desktop shortcuts that direct you to the various ads.revenue websites.

Hi repo548,

Have a look at the information provided here:
THE PARASITE FIGHT
http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm

Regards,

--
Patti MacLeod
Microsoft MVP - Windows Shell/User

"repo548" <repo548@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Something keeps changing my IE homepage to ads.revenue websites that are
> trying to sell me things like gambling, tours, etc. I have changed it
back
> each time in the "options" menu, but it changes it right back. How do I
find
> the .exe that is causing this and permanently delete it? It is also
adding
> desktop shortcuts that direct you to the various ads.revenue websites.

Willem

Distinguished
May 17, 2004

Hi Patti I am a new user. What is a Microsoft MVP - Windows Shell/User

willem

"Patti MacLeod" wrote:

> Hi repo548,
>
> Have a look at the information provided here:
> THE PARASITE FIGHT
> http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
>

> Regards,
>
> --
> Patti MacLeod
> Microsoft MVP - Windows Shell/User
>
> "repo548" <repo548@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Something keeps changing my IE homepage to ads.revenue websites that are
> > trying to sell me things like gambling, tours, etc. I have changed it
> back
> > each time in the "options" menu, but it changes it right back. How do I
> find
> > the .exe that is causing this and permanently delete it? It is also
> adding
> > desktop shortcuts that direct you to the various ads.revenue websites.

willem,

All of the answers to your questions can be found there.

MowGreen [MVP]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

willem wrote:

> Hi Patti I am a new user. What is a Microsoft MVP - Windows Shell/User
>
> willem
>
> "Patti MacLeod" wrote:
>

>>Hi repo548,
>>
>>Have a look at the information provided here:
>>THE PARASITE FIGHT
>>http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
>>

>>Regards,
>>
>>--
>>Patti MacLeod
>>Microsoft MVP - Windows Shell/User
>>
>>"repo548" <repo548@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>Something keeps changing my IE homepage to ads.revenue websites that are
>>>trying to sell me things like gambling, tours, etc. I have changed it
>>
>>back
>>
>>>each time in the "options" menu, but it changes it right back. How do I
>>
>>find
>>
>>>the .exe that is causing this and permanently delete it? It is also
>>
>>adding
>>
>>>desktop shortcuts that direct you to the various ads.revenue websites.

On Thu, 4 Nov 2004 11:56:25 -0800, willem <willem@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

Just a FWIW: The site does have many good links but I'd think twice about what
else the site recommends when they recommended something to remove Kazaa that's
going to also destroy something you NEED.

I was glad to see that someone has finally noticed the destructive things
Weatherbug does to your machine.

When I installed weatherbug [how neat current weather right their in your tray
24/7] The removal information was non existent. the information that came with
weatherbug on how to remove it pointed to a 404 website. The add/remove entry
was protected against removal except for win98 power tweak tools.
I had to hand remove [and write down every registry entry] every registry entry
several times. Weatherbug rebuilt itself if you didn't get the important stuff
on the 1st try.
When I found it Ad-aware hadn't even heard of it yet.
No one had any removal info on it.

>> Have a look at the information provided here:
>> THE PARASITE FIGHT
>> http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
>>

>> Regards,
>>
>> --
>> Patti MacLeod
>> Microsoft MVP - Windows Shell/User

> Just a FWIW: The site does have many good links but I'd think twice about what
> else the site recommends when they recommended something to remove Kazaa that's
> going to also destroy something you NEED.

You are totally wrong in your statement. What was recommended to
remove Kazaa resulting in what becomes destroyed ?

" Therefore, before running it, download LSPFix so you can repair
the damage from the repair from the DAMAGE OF HAVING INSTALLED
Kazaaa! <whew!> "

That's what the page says. The damage is from the various forms of
crudware that KAZAA installs, not from any tool recommended on the
page. Get your facts straight.

MowGreen [MVP]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

Husky wrote:

> On Thu, 4 Nov 2004 11:56:25 -0800, willem <willem@discussions.microsoft.com>
> wrote:
>
> Just a FWIW: The site does have many good links but I'd think twice about what
> else the site recommends when they recommended something to remove Kazaa that's
> going to also destroy something you NEED.
>
> I was glad to see that someone has finally noticed the destructive things
> Weatherbug does to your machine.
>
> When I installed weatherbug [how neat current weather right their in your tray
> 24/7] The removal information was non existent. the information that came with
> weatherbug on how to remove it pointed to a 404 website. The add/remove entry
> was protected against removal except for win98 power tweak tools.
> I had to hand remove [and write down every registry entry] every registry entry
> several times. Weatherbug rebuilt itself if you didn't get the important stuff
> on the 1st try.
> When I found it Ad-aware hadn't even heard of it yet.
> No one had any removal info on it.
>

>>>Have a look at the information provided here:
>>>THE PARASITE FIGHT
>>>http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
>>>

>>>Regards,
>>>
>>>--