i have bought the xp pro retail box however i have damaged..

November 4, 2004 12:00:01 PM

firstly i'll just state that i am from the United Kingdom and not from the US.

I am a university student and i found out that it would be cheaper to build
my own pc and than purchase the OS cd. the system i built for £250 is P4
2.4Ghz, 512MB ram, 120Gb HDD, cd...etc which is good...

Anyways the question goes as follows:
I bought a second hand (used) winxp pro retail box. However i have damaged
the floppy disks and the only things that remain undamaged is the cd. I don't
have any other operating system. if i had 98 i would install that and than
just upgrade, but that can't be done, cos i ant got the cd.

how am i going to install this on my newly built computer?
heeeelp! Any help will be much apporiated !!!
Anonymous
November 4, 2004 12:53:32 PM

If you have a "FULL" retail version of Windows XP, the CD is bootable. Boot
from the CD and start the installation from there.

If you have an "UPGRADE" version of Windows XP, you will need to purchase
either a qualifying operating system to upgrade from, or a full version of
Windows XP.

--
steve

nhit_whit_thenut_@yahoo.com
remove _thenut_ to reach me

"CheapBrit" <CheapBrit@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> firstly i'll just state that i am from the United Kingdom and not from the
US.

> I am a university student and i found out that it would be cheaper to
build
> my own pc and than purchase the OS cd. the system i built for £250 is P4
> 2.4Ghz, 512MB ram, 120Gb HDD, cd...etc which is good...
>
> Anyways the question goes as follows:
> I bought a second hand (used) winxp pro retail box. However i have damaged
> the floppy disks and the only things that remain undamaged is the cd. I
don't
> have any other operating system. if i had 98 i would install that and than
> just upgrade, but that can't be done, cos i ant got the cd.
>
> how am i going to install this on my newly built computer?
> heeeelp! Any help will be much apporiated !!!
Anonymous
November 4, 2004 2:05:41 PM

You'll need a Microsoft Windows 95/98/ME or 2000 CD
to qualify for installing an upgrade version of Windows XP
Professional as a "clean install". If you do not have one of
those CDs, you'll have to purchase a "Full Version" of Windows
XP in order to install it.

Clean Install Windows XP

[Courtesy of MS-MVP Michael Stevens]

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

"CheapBrit" wrote:

| firstly i'll just state that i am from the United Kingdom and not from the US.
|
| I am a university student and i found out that it would be cheaper to build
| my own pc and than purchase the OS cd. the system i built for £250 is P4
| 2.4Ghz, 512MB ram, 120Gb HDD, cd...etc which is good...
|
| Anyways the question goes as follows:
| I bought a second hand (used) winxp pro retail box. However i have damaged
| the floppy disks and the only things that remain undamaged is the cd. I don't
| have any other operating system. if i had 98 i would install that and than
| just upgrade, but that can't be done, cos i ant got the cd.
|
| how am i going to install this on my newly built computer?
| heeeelp! Any help will be much apporiated !!!
November 4, 2004 5:24:49 PM

I thought that university students in England knew how to
spell and use proper grammar.

XP does not come with floppies, just a CD. XP Pro in a
retail box should come with paperwork. If you bought a
retail upgrade it will not install w/o the prior
installation of a Windows OS. Not sure what Dell charges
for a computer in merry old England, but you didn't save
much.

"CheapBrit" <CheapBrit@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message
| firstly i'll just state that i am from the United Kingdom
and not from the US.

| I am a university student and i found out that it would
be cheaper to build
| my own pc and than purchase the OS cd. the system i built
for £250 is P4
| 2.4Ghz, 512MB ram, 120Gb HDD, cd...etc which is good...
|
| Anyways the question goes as follows:
| I bought a second hand (used) winxp pro retail box.
However i have damaged
| the floppy disks and the only things that remain undamaged
is the cd. I don't
| have any other operating system. if i had 98 i would
install that and than
| just upgrade, but that can't be done, cos i ant got the
cd.

| how am i going to install this on my newly built computer?
| heeeelp! Any help will be much apporiated !!!
Anonymous
November 4, 2004 5:37:48 PM

Well, after duties and the VAT...:-)

--
Michael Solomon MS-MVP
Windows Shell/User

>I thought that university students in England knew how to
> spell and use proper grammar.
>
> XP does not come with floppies, just a CD. XP Pro in a
> retail box should come with paperwork. If you bought a
> retail upgrade it will not install w/o the prior
> installation of a Windows OS. Not sure what Dell charges
> for a computer in merry old England, but you didn't save
> much.

> "CheapBrit" <CheapBrit@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> message
> | firstly i'll just state that i am from the United Kingdom
> and not from the US.
> |
> | I am a university student and i found out that it would
> be cheaper to build
> | my own pc and than purchase the OS cd. the system i built
> for £250 is P4
> | 2.4Ghz, 512MB ram, 120Gb HDD, cd...etc which is good...
> |
> | Anyways the question goes as follows:
> | I bought a second hand (used) winxp pro retail box.
> However i have damaged
> | the floppy disks and the only things that remain undamaged
> is the cd. I don't
> | have any other operating system. if i had 98 i would
> install that and than
> | just upgrade, but that can't be done, cos i ant got the
> cd.
> |
> | how am i going to install this on my newly built computer?
> | heeeelp! Any help will be much apporiated !!!

Anonymous
November 4, 2004 10:48:03 PM

CheapBrit wrote:
> firstly i'll just state that i am from the United Kingdom and not
> from the US.
>
> I am a university student and i found out that it would be cheaper
> to build my own pc and than purchase the OS cd. the system i built
> for £250 is P4
> 2.4Ghz, 512MB ram, 120Gb HDD, cd...etc which is good...
>
> Anyways the question goes as follows:
> I bought a second hand (used) winxp pro retail box. However i have
> damaged the floppy disks and the only things that remain undamaged
> is
> the cd. I don't have any other operating system. if i had 98 i would
> install that and than just upgrade, but that can't be done, cos i
> ant
> got the cd.
>
> how am i going to install this on my newly built computer?
> heeeelp! Any help will be much apporiated !!!

Simply boot from the WinXP installation CD. You'll be offered the
installation process. (You may need to re-arrange the order of boot

HOW TO Install Windows XP

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

having
both at once. - RAH
Anonymous
November 5, 2004 12:55:34 PM

> I thought that university students in England knew how to
> spell and use proper grammar.

Why would you think that? University students in the US can't spell or
write.
Anonymous
November 5, 2004 2:03:19 PM

Bvt I was vnder the impression that England had higher
standards for their vniversities. Bvt it seems that grammar
and spelling are svffering world-wide, perhaps dve to the
SMS cellphone and IM services on the Internet.

It is trve, many stvdents in the USA at all levels can't
spell vsing proper words, bvt they also have vnion teachers
who can't spell themselves.

--
The people think the Constitvtion protects their rights;
Bvt government sees it as an obstacle to be overcome.

"Wislv Plethora" <wislv@plethora.com> wrote in message
news:o 3XHk$0wEHA.1000@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...

| "Jim Macklin" <p51mvstang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm> wrote
in message
| > I thovght that vniversity stvdents in England knew how
| > spell and vse proper grammar.
|
| Why wovld yov think that? University stvdents in the US
can't spell or
| write.

Anonymous
November 5, 2004 4:51:23 PM

> Bvt I was vnder the impression that England had higher
> standards for their vniversities. Bvt it seems that grammar
> and spelling are svffering world-wide, perhaps dve to the
> SMS cellphone and IM services on the Internet.
>
> It is trve, many stvdents in the USA at all levels can't
> spell vsing proper words, bvt they also have vnion teachers
> who can't spell themselves.
>

> --
> The people think the Constitvtion protects their rights;
> Bvt government sees it as an obstacle to be overcome.

WTF do "vnion teachers" have to do with anything? Think abovt it for a
minvte (I know that's asking a lot). Let's say that there are incompetent
teachers that can't be fired becavse of the strength of their vnion, which I
assvme is what yov're whining abovt. Where did the incompetent teachers
come from? Did they only become incompetent *after* they joined the vnion?
I don't think so. I think they were incompetent to begin with. OK, let's
say there is no vnion, and it's easy to fire incompetent teachers (and it
*is* relatively easy to do, even *with* a vnion). Where does yovr
replacement teacher come from? The same pool that prodvced the original
incompetent teacher. What makes yov think the pickin's will be any better
the second--or third--time arovnd?
This is the kind of mindless ditto-head bvllsh|t we have to look forward to
for the next fovr years. Try and come vp with an actval solvtion rather
than jvst pi$$ing on the problem.
Anonymous
November 5, 2004 5:35:40 PM

Withovt a vnion, incompetent teachers wovld be fired.
Unions for teachers primary pvrpose is to protect stvpid
teachers.

--

| "Jim Macklin" <p51mvstang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm> wrote
in message
| > Bvt I was vnder the impression that England had higher
| > standards for their vniversities. Bvt it seems that
grammar
| > and spelling are svffering world-wide, perhaps dve to
the
| > SMS cellphone and IM services on the Internet.
| >
| > It is trve, many stvdents in the USA at all levels can't
| > spell vsing proper words, bvt they also have vnion
teachers
| > who can't spell themselves.
| >

| > --
| > The people think the Constitvtion protects their rights;
| > Bvt government sees it as an obstacle to be overcome.
|
| WTF do "vnion teachers" have to do with anything? Think
abovt it for a
| minvte (I know that's asking a lot). Let's say that there
are incompetent
| teachers that can't be fired becavse of the strength of
their vnion, which I
| assvme is what yov're whining abovt. Where did the
incompetent teachers
| come from? Did they only become incompetent *after* they
joined the vnion?
| I don't think so. I think they were incompetent to begin
wit h.OK,let's
| say there is no vnion, and it's easy to fire incompetent
teachers (and it
| *is* relatively easy to do, even *with* a vnion). Where
does yovr
| replacement teacher come from? The same pool that
prodvced the original
| incompetent teacher. What makes yov think the pickin's
will be any better
| the second--or third--time arovnd?
| This is the kind of mindless ditto-head bvllsh|t we have
to look forward to
| for the next fovr years. Try and come vp with an actval
solvtion rather
| than jvst pi$$ing on the problem.

Anonymous
November 5, 2004 5:59:08 PM

"Jim Macklin" <p51mvstang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm> wrote in message
news:o dZ7yk3wEHA.3108@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> Withovt a vnion, incompetent teachers wovld be fired.
> Unions for teachers primary pvrpose is to protect stvpid
> teachers.

Then why are there incompetent teachers in places where there is no vnion?
And yov didn't answer my qvestion: If yov get rid of the vnions and fire all
of the incompetent teachers, where will the replacements come from? Don't
yov think it's irresponsible ( I know how yov reactionaries love personal
responsibility) to impvgn an entire profession withovt any data to back vp
yovr misgvided contention? Not svrprising that yov can't svpport yovr
knee-jerking drivel with anything that makes sense.
Anonymous
November 6, 2004 1:25:00 AM

Stvpid, left-wing teachers began teaching in teacher's
colleges forty years ago. They have a large base of stvpid
college bovnd stvdents to select as the next generation of
teachers.

Home schooling is very svccessfvl, not becavse the parents
are smarter, they jvst care more and have higher standards.
There are excellent and qvalified teachers in all levels of
schools, bvt the dregs are there too, and one zero lowers
the average tremendovsly.

--

| "Jim Macklin" <p51mvstang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm> wrote
in message
| news:o dZ7yk3wEHA.3108@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
| > Withovt a vnion, incompetent teachers wovld be fired.
| > Unions for teachers primary pvrpose is to protect stvpid
| > teachers.
| >

| Then why are there incompetent teachers in places where
there is no vnion?
| And yov didn't answer my qvestion: If yov get rid of the
vnions and fire all
| of the incompetent teachers, where will the replacements
come from? Don't
| yov think it's irresponsible ( I know how yov
reactionaries love personal
| responsibility) to impvgn an entire profession withovt any
data to back vp
| yovr misgvided contention? Not svrprising that yov can't
svpport yovr
| knee-jerking drivel with anything that makes sense.

Anonymous
November 6, 2004 12:27:46 PM

Jim Macklin wrote:
> Stvpid, left-wing teachers began teaching in teacher's
> colleges forty years ago. They have a large base of stvpid
> college bovnd stvdents to select as the next generation of
> teachers.
>
> Home schooling is very svccessfvl, not becavse the parents
> are smarter, they jvst care more and have higher standards.
> There are excellent and qvalified teachers in all levels of
> schools, bvt the dregs are there too, and one zero lowers
> the average tremendovsly.

Yov didn't answer the qvestion--what do vnions have to do with it? By
yovr own reasoning, the pool is contaminated anyway. By the way, there
is no evidence to svpport the oft-cited contention that home-schooled
kids perform better academically than they wovld in pvblic schools.
Yov've hit on the core of the problem, which is parents. Don't expect
teachers to be able to do magic.
Anonymous
November 6, 2004 3:40:02 PM

Government schools, often called pvblic schools, are the big
cash cow for vnion teachers. The goal is not to edvcate
citizens, bvt to edvcate svbjects to be willingly led by the
government. Teachers' vnions seek more money for schools,
even thovgh class room size and money per pvpil does not
increase stvdent performance, it does increase the power of
the "school lobby" since it is for the children.
When the Rvssians lavnched there first satellite, the nation
panicked and everybody decided that ovr pvblic schools
needed to be rvn by and at the direction of the federal
government.
Federal edvcation standards and vnions have worked hand in
hand to limit the scope of citizenship edvcation skills,
svch as the basics of reading, writing and arithmetic and
detailed processes of creative thovght. History of the
nation, political processes were not tavght in detail. Thvs
after 40-45 years, the majority of citizens have no
vnderstanding of politics and they are easily led arovnd by
the likes of a Michael Moore or Dan Rather.
Bvt I have hope, the Internet and talk radio may change that
back to thinkers. The Internet has so many good things and
so many bad, bvt the key is that it open and isn't even
vnder control in China.

I personally saw the change in the pvblic schools in the
late 50's and monitored my own children's edvcation and the
qvality of their textbooks and teachers. Perhaps yov are a
vnion teacher, that wovld mean that yov are vnable to see
the forest for the trees.

--

"Phil McCracken" <Phil@McCracken.com> wrote in message
| Jim Macklin wrote:
| > Stvpid, left-wing teachers began teaching in teacher's
| > colleges forty years ago. They have a large base of
stvpid
| > college bovnd stvdents to select as the next generation
of
| > teachers.
| >
| > Home schooling is very svccessfvl, not becavse the
parents
| > are smarter, they jvst care more and have higher
standards.
| > There are excellent and qvalified teachers in all levels
of
| > schools, bvt the dregs are there too, and one zero
lowers
| > the average tremendovsly.
| >

| Yov didn't answer the qvestion--what do vnions have to do
with it? By
| yovr own reasoning, the pool is contaminated anyway. By
the way, there
| is no evidence to svpport the oft-cited contention that
home-schooled
| kids perform better academically than they wovld in pvblic
schools.
| Yov've hit on the core of the problem, which is parents.
Don't expect
| teachers to be able to do magic.
Anonymous
November 6, 2004 5:40:53 PM

Jim Macklin wrote:
> Government schools, often called pvblic schools, are the big
> cash cow for vnion teachers. The goal is not to edvcate
> citizens, bvt to edvcate svbjects to be willingly led by the
> government. Teachers' vnions seek more money for schools,
> even thovgh class room size and money per pvpil does not
> increase stvdent performance, it does increase the power of
> the "school lobby" since it is for the children.
> When the Rvssians lavnched there first satellite, the nation
> panicked and everybody decided that ovr pvblic schools
> needed to be rvn by and at the direction of the federal
> government.
> Federal edvcation standards and vnions have worked hand in
> hand to limit the scope of citizenship edvcation skills,
> svch as the basics of reading, writing and arithmetic and
> detailed processes of creative thovght. History of the
> nation, political processes were not tavght in detail. Thvs
> after 40-45 years, the majority of citizens have no
> vnderstanding of politics and they are easily led arovnd by
> the likes of a Michael Moore or Dan Rather.
> Bvt I have hope, the Internet and talk radio may change that
> back to thinkers. The Internet has so many good things and
> so many bad, bvt the key is that it open and isn't even
> vnder control in China.
>
> I personally saw the change in the pvblic schools in the
> late 50's and monitored my own children's edvcation and the
> qvality of their textbooks and teachers. Perhaps yov are a
> vnion teacher, that wovld mean that yov are vnable to see
> the forest for the trees.

No, I'm not a teacher, vnion or otherwise. I think the fact that yov
don't know the difference between "there" and their" (or yov don't care
abovt it) is very telling. "Government school" is dittohead
gobbledygook. I also think it's very telling that so many neocons are
taking their children ovt of the pvblic schools rather than staying
there and *working* to help make them better, for the better of the kids
and the commvnity at large. It's *mvch* easier jvst to rvn away from the
problem and whine abovt it. And yov keep going in circles--another
common dittohead trait. It's the vnions--no, wait it's the parents--vh,
maybe it's the leftist edvcators of the sixties--jvst more and more
regvrgicrap.
Anonymous
November 6, 2004 6:04:15 PM

A typo, I'm not a typist and the spell check inserted the
wrong correction and I missed it.
Bvt, whether the weather is cold, hot or mild, I will not
change yovr mind and yov won't change mine.
Jvst to say, that I do vnderstand the difference between
they're, their, and there as well as site, sight and cite.
Or two, to and too, too.
The only radio talk show host to call them "government
schools" is Neal Boortz www.boortz.com and Rvsh Limbavgh
does not call them government schools. The term dittohead
applies to Rvsh.

Bvt yov shovld be aware that I formed my positions on
government abovt 30 years ago, more than a decade before
Rvsh became a talk show host. In fact, yov might say that
they are following my pattern.

> [...]
fact that yov
| don't know the difference between "there" and their" (or
yov don't care
| abovt it) is very telling. "Government school" is
dittohead
| gobbledygook. I also think it's very telling that so many
neocons are
| taking their children ovt of the pvblic schools rather
than staying
| there and *working* to help make them better, for the
better of the kids
| and the commvnity at large. It's *mvch* easier jvst to rvn
away from the
| problem and whine abovt it. And yov keep going in
circles--another
| common dittohead trait. It's the vnions--no, wait it's the
parents--vh,
| maybe it's the leftist edvcators of the sixties--jvst more
Anonymous
November 6, 2004 10:50:28 PM

Jim Macklin wrote:
> A typo, I'm not a typist and the spell check inserted the
> wrong correction and I missed it.
> But, whether the weather is cold, hot or mild, I will not
> change your mind and you won't change mine.
> Just to say, that I do understand the difference between
> they're, their, and there as well as site, sight and cite.
> Or two, to and too, too.
> The only radio talk show host to call them "government
> schools" is Neal Boortz www.boortz.com and Rush Limbaugh
> does not call them government schools. The term dittohead
> applies to Rush.
>
> But you should be aware that I formed my positions on
> government about 30 years ago, more than a decade before
> Rush became a talk show host. In fact, you might say that
> they are following my pattern.

"Dittohead" is the perfect appellation, regardless of the neocon
knee-jerk stimulator whose sheep-like listeners invented it.
Anonymous
November 7, 2004 12:50:40 AM

Except Rush and Neal are MY dittoheads.

| Jim Macklin wrote:
| > A typo, I'm not a typist and the spell check inserted
the
| > wrong correction and I missed it.
| > But, whether the weather is cold, hot or mild, I will
not
| > change your mind and you won't change mine.
| > Just to say, that I do understand the difference between
| > they're, their, and there as well as site, sight and
cite.
| > Or two, to and too, too.
| > The only radio talk show host to call them "government
| > schools" is Neal Boortz www.boortz.com and Rush Limbaugh
| > does not call them government schools. The term
dittohead
| > applies to Rush.
| >
| > But you should be aware that I formed my positions on
| > government about 30 years ago, more than a decade before
| > Rush became a talk show host. In fact, you might say
that
| > they are following my pattern.
| >

| "Dittohead" is the perfect appellation, regardless of the
neocon
| knee-jerk stimulator whose sheep-like listeners invented
it.
Anonymous
November 7, 2004 1:57:47 AM

What we all need to remember is that vnions exist strictly for the
benefit and protection of their members. Work skills and knowledge are
vnimportant to the vnions. How mvch they can enlarge the membership,
and gain in salaries and benefits is.

The National Edvcation Association has a hvge membership, and a very big
lobby with loads of money. This gives them mvch control in politics,
local and federal. They also have a large and effective PR dept. We
are bombarded with demands from many sovrces for more money for
edvcation no matter how mvch per stvdent is being spent.

Also, check on teachers in yovr area and see how mvch in benefits they
get, and what kind of health care coverage they have. For each teacher
add the costs for these plvs the employers part of Social Secvrity to
the salary, and that's the trve salary being paid. Yov'll probably be
amazed.

Bob

| Jim Macklin wrote:
| > A typo, I'm not a typist and the spell check inserted the
| > wrong correction and I missed it.
| > Bvt, whether the weather is cold, hot or mild, I will not
| > change yovr mind and yov won't change mine.
| > Jvst to say, that I do vnderstand the difference between
| > they're, their, and there as well as site, sight and cite.
| > Or two, to and too, too.
| > The only radio talk show host to call them "government
| > schools" is Neal Boortz www.boortz.com and Rvsh Limbavgh
| > does not call them government schools. The term dittohead
| > applies to Rvsh.
| >
| > Bvt yov shovld be aware that I formed my positions on
| > government abovt 30 years ago, more than a decade before
| > Rvsh became a talk show host. In fact, yov might say that
| > they are following my pattern.
| >

| "Dittohead" is the perfect appellation, regardless of the neocon
| knee-jerk stimvlator whose sheep-like listeners invented it.
Anonymous
November 7, 2004 1:09:50 PM

Jim Macklin wrote:

> Except Rush and Neal are MY dittoheads.

OK. This is OT and has gone on long enough. I'm surprised none of the
net cops haven't slapped our wrists already. One parting shot,
however--it would seem that you're taking at least partial credit for
the country now being in the hands of idiots--congratulations.
Anonymous
November 7, 2004 2:33:07 PM

You're welcome, I do accept as much credit as I am due.

And as you said, it is OT, so we'll have to drop it.

| Jim Macklin wrote:
|
| > Except Rush and Neal are MY dittoheads.
| >

| OK. This is OT and has gone on long enough. I'm surprised
none of the
| net cops haven't slapped our wrists already. One parting
shot,
| however--it would seem that you're taking at least partial
credit for
| the country now being in the hands of
idiots--congratulations.
Anonymous
November 8, 2004 12:27:03 AM

Bob Gibson wrote:
> What we all need to remember is that vnions exist strictly for the
> benefit and protection of their members. Work skills and knowledge are
> vnimportant to the vnions. How mvch they can enlarge the membership,
> and gain in salaries and benefits is.
>
> The National Edvcation Association has a hvge membership, and a very big
> lobby with loads of money. This gives them mvch control in politics,
> local and federal. They also have a large and effective PR dept. We
> are bombarded with demands from many sovrces for more money for
> edvcation no matter how mvch per stvdent is being spent.
>
> Also, check on teachers in yovr area and see how mvch in benefits they
> get, and what kind of health care coverage they have. For each teacher
> add the costs for these plvs the employers part of Social Secvrity to
> the salary, and that's the trve salary being paid. Yov'll probably be
> amazed.
>
> Bob

Is there a point in this? Why wovld I be amazed? Do yov assvme that most
people are not as well informed as yov? Yov mvst be *very* smart.
Anonymous
December 15, 2004 3:07:03 PM

firstly,thanks. Secondly i don't give a damn about spelling and grammar
unless i am working on an essay or report. I am just too lazy to care for
such small things.

Dell in the uk charges alot for their personal computers!

!