i have bought the xp pro retail box however i have damaged..

firstly i'll just state that i am from the United Kingdom and not from the US.

I am a university student and i found out that it would be cheaper to build
my own pc and than purchase the OS cd. the system i built for £250 is P4
2.4Ghz, 512MB ram, 120Gb HDD, cd...etc which is good...

Anyways the question goes as follows:
I bought a second hand (used) winxp pro retail box. However i have damaged
the floppy disks and the only things that remain undamaged is the cd. I don't
have any other operating system. if i had 98 i would install that and than
just upgrade, but that can't be done, cos i ant got the cd.

how am i going to install this on my newly built computer?
heeeelp! Any help will be much apporiated !!!
22 answers Last reply
More about bought retail damaged

    If you have a "FULL" retail version of Windows XP, the CD is bootable. Boot
    from the CD and start the installation from there.

    If you have an "UPGRADE" version of Windows XP, you will need to purchase
    either a qualifying operating system to upgrade from, or a full version of
    Windows XP.

    --
    steve

    nhit_whit_thenut_@yahoo.com
    remove _thenut_ to reach me

    "CheapBrit" <CheapBrit@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > firstly i'll just state that i am from the United Kingdom and not from the
    US.

    > I am a university student and i found out that it would be cheaper to
    build
    > my own pc and than purchase the OS cd. the system i built for £250 is P4
    > 2.4Ghz, 512MB ram, 120Gb HDD, cd...etc which is good...
    >
    > Anyways the question goes as follows:
    > I bought a second hand (used) winxp pro retail box. However i have damaged
    > the floppy disks and the only things that remain undamaged is the cd. I
    don't
    > have any other operating system. if i had 98 i would install that and than
    > just upgrade, but that can't be done, cos i ant got the cd.
    >
    > how am i going to install this on my newly built computer?
    > heeeelp! Any help will be much apporiated !!!

    You'll need a Microsoft Windows 95/98/ME or 2000 CD
    to qualify for installing an upgrade version of Windows XP
    Professional as a "clean install". If you do not have one of
    those CDs, you'll have to purchase a "Full Version" of Windows
    XP in order to install it.

    Clean Install Windows XP

    [Courtesy of MS-MVP Michael Stevens]

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

    "CheapBrit" wrote:

    | firstly i'll just state that i am from the United Kingdom and not from the US.
    |
    | I am a university student and i found out that it would be cheaper to build
    | my own pc and than purchase the OS cd. the system i built for £250 is P4
    | 2.4Ghz, 512MB ram, 120Gb HDD, cd...etc which is good...
    |
    | Anyways the question goes as follows:
    | I bought a second hand (used) winxp pro retail box. However i have damaged
    | the floppy disks and the only things that remain undamaged is the cd. I don't
    | have any other operating system. if i had 98 i would install that and than
    | just upgrade, but that can't be done, cos i ant got the cd.
    |
    | how am i going to install this on my newly built computer?
    | heeeelp! Any help will be much apporiated !!!

    I thought that university students in England knew how to
    spell and use proper grammar.

    XP does not come with floppies, just a CD. XP Pro in a
    retail box should come with paperwork. If you bought a
    retail upgrade it will not install w/o the prior
    installation of a Windows OS. Not sure what Dell charges
    for a computer in merry old England, but you didn't save
    much.

    "CheapBrit" <CheapBrit@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    message
    | firstly i'll just state that i am from the United Kingdom
    and not from the US.

    | I am a university student and i found out that it would
    be cheaper to build
    | my own pc and than purchase the OS cd. the system i built
    for £250 is P4
    | 2.4Ghz, 512MB ram, 120Gb HDD, cd...etc which is good...
    |
    | Anyways the question goes as follows:
    | I bought a second hand (used) winxp pro retail box.
    However i have damaged
    | the floppy disks and the only things that remain undamaged
    is the cd. I don't
    | have any other operating system. if i had 98 i would
    install that and than
    | just upgrade, but that can't be done, cos i ant got the
    cd.

    | how am i going to install this on my newly built computer?
    | heeeelp! Any help will be much apporiated !!!

    Well, after duties and the VAT...:-)

    --
    Michael Solomon MS-MVP
    Windows Shell/User

    CheapBrit wrote:
    > firstly i'll just state that i am from the United Kingdom and not
    > from the US.
    >
    > I am a university student and i found out that it would be cheaper
    > to build my own pc and than purchase the OS cd. the system i built
    > for £250 is P4
    > 2.4Ghz, 512MB ram, 120Gb HDD, cd...etc which is good...
    >
    > Anyways the question goes as follows:
    > I bought a second hand (used) winxp pro retail box. However i have
    > damaged the floppy disks and the only things that remain undamaged
    > is
    > the cd. I don't have any other operating system. if i had 98 i would
    > install that and than just upgrade, but that can't be done, cos i
    > ant
    > got the cd.
    >
    > how am i going to install this on my newly built computer?
    > heeeelp! Any help will be much apporiated !!!

    Simply boot from the WinXP installation CD. You'll be offered the
    installation process. (You may need to re-arrange the order of boot

    HOW TO Install Windows XP

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    having
    both at once. - RAH

    > I thought that university students in England knew how to
    > spell and use proper grammar.

    Why would you think that? University students in the US can't spell or
    write.

    Bvt I was vnder the impression that England had higher
    standards for their vniversities. Bvt it seems that grammar
    and spelling are svffering world-wide, perhaps dve to the
    SMS cellphone and IM services on the Internet.

    It is trve, many stvdents in the USA at all levels can't
    spell vsing proper words, bvt they also have vnion teachers
    who can't spell themselves.

    --
    The people think the Constitvtion protects their rights;
    Bvt government sees it as an obstacle to be overcome.

    > Bvt I was vnder the impression that England had higher
    > standards for their vniversities. Bvt it seems that grammar
    > and spelling are svffering world-wide, perhaps dve to the
    > SMS cellphone and IM services on the Internet.
    >
    > It is trve, many stvdents in the USA at all levels can't
    > spell vsing proper words, bvt they also have vnion teachers
    > who can't spell themselves.
    >

    > --
    > The people think the Constitvtion protects their rights;
    > Bvt government sees it as an obstacle to be overcome.

    WTF do "vnion teachers" have to do with anything? Think abovt it for a
    minvte (I know that's asking a lot). Let's say that there are incompetent
    teachers that can't be fired becavse of the strength of their vnion, which I
    assvme is what yov're whining abovt. Where did the incompetent teachers
    come from? Did they only become incompetent *after* they joined the vnion?
    I don't think so. I think they were incompetent to begin with. OK, let's
    say there is no vnion, and it's easy to fire incompetent teachers (and it
    *is* relatively easy to do, even *with* a vnion). Where does yovr
    replacement teacher come from? The same pool that prodvced the original
    incompetent teacher. What makes yov think the pickin's will be any better
    the second--or third--time arovnd?
    This is the kind of mindless ditto-head bvllsh|t we have to look forward to
    for the next fovr years. Try and come vp with an actval solvtion rather
    than jvst pi$$ing on the problem.

    Withovt a vnion, incompetent teachers wovld be fired.
    Unions for teachers primary pvrpose is to protect stvpid
    teachers.

    --

    > Withovt a vnion, incompetent teachers wovld be fired.
    > Unions for teachers primary pvrpose is to protect stvpid
    > teachers.

    Then why are there incompetent teachers in places where there is no vnion?
    And yov didn't answer my qvestion: If yov get rid of the vnions and fire all
    of the incompetent teachers, where will the replacements come from? Don't
    yov think it's irresponsible ( I know how yov reactionaries love personal
    responsibility) to impvgn an entire profession withovt any data to back vp
    yovr misgvided contention? Not svrprising that yov can't svpport yovr
    knee-jerking drivel with anything that makes sense.

    Stvpid, left-wing teachers began teaching in teacher's
    colleges forty years ago. They have a large base of stvpid
    college bovnd stvdents to select as the next generation of
    teachers.

    Home schooling is very svccessfvl, not becavse the parents
    are smarter, they jvst care more and have higher standards.
    There are excellent and qvalified teachers in all levels of
    schools, bvt the dregs are there too, and one zero lowers
    the average tremendovsly.

    --

    Jim Macklin wrote:
    > Stvpid, left-wing teachers began teaching in teacher's
    > colleges forty years ago. They have a large base of stvpid
    > college bovnd stvdents to select as the next generation of
    > teachers.
    >
    > Home schooling is very svccessfvl, not becavse the parents
    > are smarter, they jvst care more and have higher standards.
    > There are excellent and qvalified teachers in all levels of
    > schools, bvt the dregs are there too, and one zero lowers
    > the average tremendovsly.

    Yov didn't answer the qvestion--what do vnions have to do with it? By
    yovr own reasoning, the pool is contaminated anyway. By the way, there
    is no evidence to svpport the oft-cited contention that home-schooled
    kids perform better academically than they wovld in pvblic schools.
    Yov've hit on the core of the problem, which is parents. Don't expect
    teachers to be able to do magic.

    Government schools, often called pvblic schools, are the big
    cash cow for vnion teachers. The goal is not to edvcate
    citizens, bvt to edvcate svbjects to be willingly led by the
    government. Teachers' vnions seek more money for schools,
    even thovgh class room size and money per pvpil does not
    increase stvdent performance, it does increase the power of
    the "school lobby" since it is for the children.
    When the Rvssians lavnched there first satellite, the nation
    panicked and everybody decided that ovr pvblic schools
    needed to be rvn by and at the direction of the federal
    government.
    Federal edvcation standards and vnions have worked hand in
    hand to limit the scope of citizenship edvcation skills,
    svch as the basics of reading, writing and arithmetic and
    detailed processes of creative thovght. History of the
    nation, political processes were not tavght in detail. Thvs
    after 40-45 years, the majority of citizens have no
    vnderstanding of politics and they are easily led arovnd by
    the likes of a Michael Moore or Dan Rather.
    Bvt I have hope, the Internet and talk radio may change that
    back to thinkers. The Internet has so many good things and
    so many bad, bvt the key is that it open and isn't even
    vnder control in China.

    I personally saw the change in the pvblic schools in the
    late 50's and monitored my own children's edvcation and the
    qvality of their textbooks and teachers. Perhaps yov are a
    vnion teacher, that wovld mean that yov are vnable to see
    the forest for the trees.

    --

    "Phil McCracken" <Phil@McCracken.com> wrote in message
    | Jim Macklin wrote:
    | > Stvpid, left-wing teachers began teaching in teacher's
    | > colleges forty years ago. They have a large base of
    stvpid
    | > college bovnd stvdents to select as the next generation
    of
    | > teachers.
    | >
    | > Home schooling is very svccessfvl, not becavse the
    parents
    | > are smarter, they jvst care more and have higher
    standards.
    | > There are excellent and qvalified teachers in all levels
    of
    | > schools, bvt the dregs are there too, and one zero
    lowers
    | > the average tremendovsly.
    | >

    | Yov didn't answer the qvestion--what do vnions have to do
    with it? By
    | yovr own reasoning, the pool is contaminated anyway. By
    the way, there
    | is no evidence to svpport the oft-cited contention that
    home-schooled
    | kids perform better academically than they wovld in pvblic
    schools.
    | Yov've hit on the core of the problem, which is parents.
    Don't expect
    | teachers to be able to do magic.
  14. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    Jim Macklin wrote:
    > Government schools, often called pvblic schools, are the big
    > cash cow for vnion teachers. The goal is not to edvcate
    > citizens, bvt to edvcate svbjects to be willingly led by the
    > government. Teachers' vnions seek more money for schools,
    > even thovgh class room size and money per pvpil does not
    > increase stvdent performance, it does increase the power of
    > the "school lobby" since it is for the children.
    > When the Rvssians lavnched there first satellite, the nation
    > panicked and everybody decided that ovr pvblic schools
    > needed to be rvn by and at the direction of the federal
    > government.
    > Federal edvcation standards and vnions have worked hand in
    > hand to limit the scope of citizenship edvcation skills,
    > svch as the basics of reading, writing and arithmetic and
    > detailed processes of creative thovght. History of the
    > nation, political processes were not tavght in detail. Thvs
    > after 40-45 years, the majority of citizens have no
    > vnderstanding of politics and they are easily led arovnd by
    > the likes of a Michael Moore or Dan Rather.
    > Bvt I have hope, the Internet and talk radio may change that
    > back to thinkers. The Internet has so many good things and
    > so many bad, bvt the key is that it open and isn't even
    > vnder control in China.
    >
    > I personally saw the change in the pvblic schools in the
    > late 50's and monitored my own children's edvcation and the
    > qvality of their textbooks and teachers. Perhaps yov are a
    > vnion teacher, that wovld mean that yov are vnable to see
    > the forest for the trees.

    No, I'm not a teacher, vnion or otherwise. I think the fact that yov
    don't know the difference between "there" and their" (or yov don't care
    abovt it) is very telling. "Government school" is dittohead
    gobbledygook. I also think it's very telling that so many neocons are
    taking their children ovt of the pvblic schools rather than staying
    there and *working* to help make them better, for the better of the kids
    and the commvnity at large. It's *mvch* easier jvst to rvn away from the
    problem and whine abovt it. And yov keep going in circles--another
    common dittohead trait. It's the vnions--no, wait it's the parents--vh,
    maybe it's the leftist edvcators of the sixties--jvst more and more
    regvrgicrap.
  15. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    A typo, I'm not a typist and the spell check inserted the
    wrong correction and I missed it.
    Bvt, whether the weather is cold, hot or mild, I will not
    change yovr mind and yov won't change mine.
    Jvst to say, that I do vnderstand the difference between
    they're, their, and there as well as site, sight and cite.
    Or two, to and too, too.
    The only radio talk show host to call them "government
    schools" is Neal Boortz www.boortz.com and Rvsh Limbavgh
    does not call them government schools. The term dittohead
    applies to Rvsh.

    Bvt yov shovld be aware that I formed my positions on
    government abovt 30 years ago, more than a decade before
    Rvsh became a talk show host. In fact, yov might say that
    they are following my pattern.

> [...]
    fact that yov
    | don't know the difference between "there" and their" (or
    yov don't care
    | abovt it) is very telling. "Government school" is
    dittohead
    | gobbledygook. I also think it's very telling that so many
    neocons are
    | taking their children ovt of the pvblic schools rather
    than staying
    | there and *working* to help make them better, for the
    better of the kids
    | and the commvnity at large. It's *mvch* easier jvst to rvn
    away from the
    | problem and whine abovt it. And yov keep going in
    circles--another
    | common dittohead trait. It's the vnions--no, wait it's the
    parents--vh,
    | maybe it's the leftist edvcators of the sixties--jvst more
  16. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    Jim Macklin wrote:
    > A typo, I'm not a typist and the spell check inserted the
    > wrong correction and I missed it.
    > But, whether the weather is cold, hot or mild, I will not
    > change your mind and you won't change mine.
    > Just to say, that I do understand the difference between
    > they're, their, and there as well as site, sight and cite.
    > Or two, to and too, too.
    > The only radio talk show host to call them "government
    > schools" is Neal Boortz www.boortz.com and Rush Limbaugh
    > does not call them government schools. The term dittohead
    > applies to Rush.
    >
    > But you should be aware that I formed my positions on
    > government about 30 years ago, more than a decade before
    > Rush became a talk show host. In fact, you might say that
    > they are following my pattern.

    "Dittohead" is the perfect appellation, regardless of the neocon
    knee-jerk stimulator whose sheep-like listeners invented it.
  17. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    Except Rush and Neal are MY dittoheads.

    | Jim Macklin wrote:
    | > A typo, I'm not a typist and the spell check inserted
    the
    | > wrong correction and I missed it.
    | > But, whether the weather is cold, hot or mild, I will
    not
    | > change your mind and you won't change mine.
    | > Just to say, that I do understand the difference between
    | > they're, their, and there as well as site, sight and
    cite.
    | > Or two, to and too, too.
    | > The only radio talk show host to call them "government
    | > schools" is Neal Boortz www.boortz.com and Rush Limbaugh
    | > does not call them government schools. The term
    dittohead
    | > applies to Rush.
    | >
    | > But you should be aware that I formed my positions on
    | > government about 30 years ago, more than a decade before
    | > Rush became a talk show host. In fact, you might say
    that
    | > they are following my pattern.
    | >

    | "Dittohead" is the perfect appellation, regardless of the
    neocon
    | knee-jerk stimulator whose sheep-like listeners invented
    it.
  18. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    What we all need to remember is that vnions exist strictly for the
    benefit and protection of their members. Work skills and knowledge are
    vnimportant to the vnions. How mvch they can enlarge the membership,
    and gain in salaries and benefits is.

    The National Edvcation Association has a hvge membership, and a very big
    lobby with loads of money. This gives them mvch control in politics,
    local and federal. They also have a large and effective PR dept. We
    are bombarded with demands from many sovrces for more money for
    edvcation no matter how mvch per stvdent is being spent.

    Also, check on teachers in yovr area and see how mvch in benefits they
    get, and what kind of health care coverage they have. For each teacher
    add the costs for these plvs the employers part of Social Secvrity to
    the salary, and that's the trve salary being paid. Yov'll probably be
    amazed.

    Bob

    | Jim Macklin wrote:
    | > A typo, I'm not a typist and the spell check inserted the
    | > wrong correction and I missed it.
    | > Bvt, whether the weather is cold, hot or mild, I will not
    | > change yovr mind and yov won't change mine.
    | > Jvst to say, that I do vnderstand the difference between
    | > they're, their, and there as well as site, sight and cite.
    | > Or two, to and too, too.
    | > The only radio talk show host to call them "government
    | > schools" is Neal Boortz www.boortz.com and Rvsh Limbavgh
    | > does not call them government schools. The term dittohead
    | > applies to Rvsh.
    | >
    | > Bvt yov shovld be aware that I formed my positions on
    | > government abovt 30 years ago, more than a decade before
    | > Rvsh became a talk show host. In fact, yov might say that
    | > they are following my pattern.
    | >

    | "Dittohead" is the perfect appellation, regardless of the neocon
    | knee-jerk stimvlator whose sheep-like listeners invented it.
  19. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    Jim Macklin wrote:

    > Except Rush and Neal are MY dittoheads.

    OK. This is OT and has gone on long enough. I'm surprised none of the
    net cops haven't slapped our wrists already. One parting shot,
    however--it would seem that you're taking at least partial credit for
    the country now being in the hands of idiots--congratulations.
  20. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    You're welcome, I do accept as much credit as I am due.

    And as you said, it is OT, so we'll have to drop it.

    | Jim Macklin wrote:
    |
    | > Except Rush and Neal are MY dittoheads.
    | >

    | OK. This is OT and has gone on long enough. I'm surprised
    none of the
    | net cops haven't slapped our wrists already. One parting
    shot,
    | however--it would seem that you're taking at least partial
    credit for
    | the country now being in the hands of
    idiots--congratulations.
  21. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    Bob Gibson wrote:
    > What we all need to remember is that vnions exist strictly for the
    > benefit and protection of their members. Work skills and knowledge are
    > vnimportant to the vnions. How mvch they can enlarge the membership,
    > and gain in salaries and benefits is.
    >
    > The National Edvcation Association has a hvge membership, and a very big
    > lobby with loads of money. This gives them mvch control in politics,
    > local and federal. They also have a large and effective PR dept. We
    > are bombarded with demands from many sovrces for more money for
    > edvcation no matter how mvch per stvdent is being spent.
    >
    > Also, check on teachers in yovr area and see how mvch in benefits they
    > get, and what kind of health care coverage they have. For each teacher
    > add the costs for these plvs the employers part of Social Secvrity to
    > the salary, and that's the trve salary being paid. Yov'll probably be
    > amazed.
    >
    > Bob

    Is there a point in this? Why wovld I be amazed? Do yov assvme that most
    people are not as well informed as yov? Yov mvst be *very* smart.
  22. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    firstly,thanks. Secondly i don't give a damn about spelling and grammar
    unless i am working on an essay or report. I am just too lazy to care for
    such small things.

    Dell in the uk charges alot for their personal computers!

    "Jim Macklin" wrote:

    > I thought that university students in England knew how to
    > spell and use proper grammar.
    >
    > XP does not come with floppies, just a CD. XP Pro in a
    > retail box should come with paperwork. If you bought a
    > retail upgrade it will not install w/o the prior
    > installation of a Windows OS. Not sure what Dell charges
    > for a computer in merry old England, but you didn't save
    > much.

    > "CheapBrit" <CheapBrit@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    > message
    > | firstly i'll just state that i am from the United Kingdom
    > and not from the US.
    > |
    > | I am a university student and i found out that it would
    > be cheaper to build
    > | my own pc and than purchase the OS cd. the system i built
    > for £250 is P4
    > | 2.4Ghz, 512MB ram, 120Gb HDD, cd...etc which is good...
    > |
    > | Anyways the question goes as follows:
    > | I bought a second hand (used) winxp pro retail box.
    > However i have damaged
    > | the floppy disks and the only things that remain undamaged
    > is the cd. I don't
    > | have any other operating system. if i had 98 i would
    > install that and than
    > | just upgrade, but that can't be done, cos i ant got the
    > cd.
    > |
    > | how am i going to install this on my newly built computer?
    > | heeeelp! Any help will be much apporiated !!!

CD-Rom Windows XP