802.11 B and G speed factor

Last response: in Wireless Networking
Share
August 21, 2004 2:11:04 PM

Monday I am going to one of the electronic stores to pick up a wireless
router and adapter for Verizon DSL.
Is there any noticable speed distance between B and G technology?? I will
mostly use it for internet, can't see doing many file transfers between home
computers. I see these advertisements pushing G routers
for their great speed.....but swith DSL internet not sure it really matters.
The bargains are with the 802.11b routers....so it's tempting to go with
them and replace it down the road if need be. Seems the technology changes
yearly anyways. Any insight into speed factor appreciated. Likely will go
with B, unless a good argument can be made for the G Broadband.

More about : 802 speed factor

August 21, 2004 4:39:45 PM

Yes, I was wondering if distance plays a role in speed for through-put of
data. Sounds like it may in situations. I heard both arguments. B is just a
good as G for the internet. Other argument is G is slightly better
for wireless reception.
"snow" <dlessard@powerlink.net> wrote in message
> Monday I am going to one of the electronic stores to pick up a wireless
> router and adapter for Verizon DSL.
> Is there any noticable speed distance between B and G technology?? I will
> mostly use it for internet, can't see doing many file transfers between
home
> computers. I see these advertisements pushing G routers
> for their great speed.....but swith DSL internet not sure it really
matters.
> The bargains are with the 802.11b routers....so it's tempting to go with
> them and replace it down the road if need be. Seems the technology changes
> yearly anyways. Any insight into speed factor appreciated. Likely will go
> with B, unless a good argument can be made for the G Broadband.

Anonymous
August 21, 2004 7:54:39 PM

fwiw
I mapped all the drives on my laptop from my old reliable desktop and use
all the desktop programs on my laptop via G wifi .. my laptop only has
3.5g/b of used C HDD space but has the whole alphabet of D,E,F,G etc of
drives too - remote storage out the gazzoo ;)  wifi-G works well but is
somewhat slow with large program loading or larger graphic saves, don't
think I'd be happy with B.
As you distance yourself from the AP/Router the through-put drops and you
might find B is slowing you down a bit sooner than G will.

"snow" <dlessard@powerlink.net> wrote in message
> Monday I am going to one of the electronic stores to pick up a wireless
> router and adapter for Verizon DSL.
> Is there any noticable speed distance between B and G technology?? I will
> mostly use it for internet, can't see doing many file transfers between
home
> computers. I see these advertisements pushing G routers
> for their great speed.....but swith DSL internet not sure it really
matters.
> The bargains are with the 802.11b routers....so it's tempting to go with
> them and replace it down the road if need be. Seems the technology changes
> yearly anyways. Any insight into speed factor appreciated. Likely will go
> with B, unless a good argument can be made for the G Broadband.

Related resources
August 21, 2004 9:18:54 PM

> Yes, I was wondering if distance plays a role in speed for through-put of
> data. Sounds like it may in situations. I heard both arguments. B is just
> good as G for the internet. Other argument is G is slightly better
> for wireless reception.

Everything I've read indicates that B and G differ very little in terms of
range. And they respond similarly to absorbing construction materials,
because that depends on frequency and not encoding technique. 802.11g has a
slight edge in that it is less sensitive to multipath echo.

> "snow" <dlessard@powerlink.net> wrote in message
> > Monday I am going to one of the electronic stores to pick up a wireless
> > router and adapter for Verizon DSL.
> > Is there any noticable speed distance between B and G technology?? I
will
> > mostly use it for internet, can't see doing many file transfers between
> home
> > computers. I see these advertisements pushing G routers
> > for their great speed.....but swith DSL internet not sure it really
> matters.
> > The bargains are with the 802.11b routers....so it's tempting to go with
> > them and replace it down the road if need be. Seems the technology
changes
> > yearly anyways. Any insight into speed factor appreciated. Likely will
go
> > with B, unless a good argument can be made for the G Broadband.

Anonymous
August 22, 2004 3:51:29 AM

"snow" <dlessard@powerlink.net> wrote in message
> Monday I am going to one of the electronic stores to pick up a wireless
> router and adapter for Verizon DSL.
> Is there any noticable speed distance between B and G technology?? I will
> mostly use it for internet, can't see doing many file transfers between
home
> computers. I see these advertisements pushing G routers
> for their great speed.....but swith DSL internet not sure it really
matters.
> The bargains are with the 802.11b routers....so it's tempting to go with
> them and replace it down the road if need be. Seems the technology changes
> yearly anyways. Any insight into speed factor appreciated. Likely will go
> with B, unless a good argument can be made for the G Broadband.

Since the ADSL link is the bottleneck for Internet use, there won't be a
speed difference between 802.11B and 802.11G devices.

However, 802.11B has a security problem, so if you're concerned about
preventing eavesdropping or wardrivers, choose the "G" model.

FWIW.

William

(Filter noise from my address for direct replies.)
Anonymous
August 22, 2004 4:33:56 PM

"William Warren" <william_warren_nonoise@comcast.net> wrote in

> Since the ADSL link is the bottleneck for Internet use, there won't be a
> speed difference between 802.11B and 802.11G devices.
>
> However, 802.11B has a security problem, so if you're concerned about
> preventing eavesdropping or wardrivers, choose the "G" model.

What security issue exists for 802.11b that does not apply to 802.11g?

--
Tom McCune
August 22, 2004 7:03:22 PM

"Tom McCune" <news@DELETE_THISmccune.cc> wrote in message
> "William Warren" <william_warren_nonoise@comcast.net> wrote in
>
> > Since the ADSL link is the bottleneck for Internet use, there won't be a
> > speed difference between 802.11B and 802.11G devices.
> >
> > However, 802.11B has a security problem, so if you're concerned about
> > preventing eavesdropping or wardrivers, choose the "G" model.
>
> What security issue exists for 802.11b that does not apply to 802.11g?
>
> --
> Tom McCune
> My PGP Page & FAQ: http://www.McCune.cc/PGP.htm

At the standards level, none. However, the OP asked which device to buy, and
manufacturers have chosen to include WPA features in their 802.11G devices,
which is an improvement over the WEP security found in 802.11B equipment.

Those interested in the standards process may consult

http://csrc.nist.gov/publications/nistpubs/800-48/NIST_... for an
excellent treatise on WEP security issues
http://standards.ieee.org/getieee802/ for information on progress in 802.1X
and 802.11i.

HTH.

William

(Filter noise from my address for direct replies.)
Anonymous
August 23, 2004 2:23:10 AM

On Sat, 21 Aug 2004 10:11:04 -0400, in alt.internet.wireless , "snow"
<dlessard@powerlink.net> wrote:

>Monday I am going to one of the electronic stores to pick up a wireless
>router and adapter for Verizon DSL.
>Is there any noticable speed distance between B and G technology?? I

B is 11Mb max, G is 50Mb max. Apart from that.... :-)

> will mostly use it for internet, can't see doing many file transfers between home
>computers.

In that case, unless you have a 100meg internet connection, you'll see
absolutely no difference.

--
Mark McIntyre
CLC FAQ <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/C-faq/top.html&gt;