Font Problem

I have a special font installed in my Documents and Settings folder. When I
try to use it, it shows up as something totally different, as if there is a
foreign language pack installed in my computer. I have an eMachines D4362,
and am running XP Home with SP2. Please advise what to do, I am getting very
frustrated with not being able to use this font.
--
Confused

Fonts are typically installed in C:\Windows\Fonts.
See Control Panel/Fonts to install.

"Doxiemom" wrote:

> I have a special font installed in my Documents and Settings folder. When I
> try to use it, it shows up as something totally different, as if there is a
> foreign language pack installed in my computer. I have an eMachines D4362,
> and am running XP Home with SP2. Please advise what to do, I am getting very
> frustrated with not being able to use this font.
> --
> Confused

It is installed in the C:\Windows\Fonts folder as well. I don't have a lot
of fonts in Windows, as I don't want to slow computer down. The font that is
installed looks different to me than it does to anyone else. I am wondering
if it's my computer, or what could be causing the problem. What I type with
it looks like gobbledy beloved patriot, but others can read it. Then they type back and
it's illegible to me, looks like foreign letters, but it's a special type
that is perfectly readable to them. Could there possibly be some kind of
foreign language pack installed on my computer?

"Hugh" wrote:

> Fonts are typically installed in C:\Windows\Fonts.
> See Control Panel/Fonts to install.
>
> "Doxiemom" wrote:
>
> > I have a special font installed in my Documents and Settings folder. When I
> > try to use it, it shows up as something totally different, as if there is a
> > foreign language pack installed in my computer. I have an eMachines D4362,
> > and am running XP Home with SP2. Please advise what to do, I am getting very
> > frustrated with not being able to use this font.
> > --
> > Confused

What is the font? Full name includng extension.
When you "type", what program are you using?
I wouldn't worry too much about slowing down the computer with fonts unless
you get over 500 or so.

"Doxiemom" wrote:

> It is installed in the C:\Windows\Fonts folder as well. I don't have a lot
> of fonts in Windows, as I don't want to slow computer down. The font that is
> installed looks different to me than it does to anyone else. I am wondering
> if it's my computer, or what could be causing the problem. What I type with
> it looks like gobbledy beloved patriot, but others can read it. Then they type back and
> it's illegible to me, looks like foreign letters, but it's a special type
> that is perfectly readable to them. Could there possibly be some kind of
> foreign language pack installed on my computer?
>
> "Hugh" wrote:
>
> > Fonts are typically installed in C:\Windows\Fonts.
> > See Control Panel/Fonts to install.
> >
> > "Doxiemom" wrote:
> >
> > > I have a special font installed in my Documents and Settings folder. When I
> > > try to use it, it shows up as something totally different, as if there is a
> > > foreign language pack installed in my computer. I have an eMachines D4362,
> > > and am running XP Home with SP2. Please advise what to do, I am getting very
> > > frustrated with not being able to use this font.
> > > --
> > > Confused

I am trying to use Billboard.ttf
I am trying to use it in PSP8. I have a separate font folder, since I have
over 1200 fonts, only about 500 in Windows. I also have a font reader
program, however I don't believe that is the problem, since I have had the
Billboard font for over two years. I just did not know that the font was
supposed to look differently than I had seen it.

"Hugh" wrote:

> What is the font? Full name includng extension.
> When you "type", what program are you using?
> I wouldn't worry too much about slowing down the computer with fonts unless
> you get over 500 or so.
>
> "Doxiemom" wrote:
>
> > It is installed in the C:\Windows\Fonts folder as well. I don't have a lot
> > of fonts in Windows, as I don't want to slow computer down. The font that is
> > installed looks different to me than it does to anyone else. I am wondering
> > if it's my computer, or what could be causing the problem. What I type with
> > it looks like gobbledy beloved patriot, but others can read it. Then they type back and
> > it's illegible to me, looks like foreign letters, but it's a special type
> > that is perfectly readable to them. Could there possibly be some kind of
> > foreign language pack installed on my computer?
> >
> > "Hugh" wrote:
> >
> > > Fonts are typically installed in C:\Windows\Fonts.
> > > See Control Panel/Fonts to install.

I'm not a font expert, but this font seems to be weird for a .ttf It
bitmaps easily and I'm not sure what one would do with it in any case.
I suspect the problem is in the font, not your computer. It's possible there
is more than one version out there.

On Tue, 9 Nov 2004 20:51:02 -0800, Doxiemom wrote:

> I am trying to use Billboard.ttf
> I am trying to use it in PSP8. I have a separate font folder, since I have
> over 1200 fonts, only about 500 in Windows. I also have a font reader
> program, however I don't believe that is the problem, since I have had the
> Billboard font for over two years. I just did not know that the font was
> supposed to look differently than I had seen it.

What happens if you double click the Billboard.ttf font file? Does it open
a Windows Font Viewer window and does it show the font correctly?

If yes, you do not have to install the font to use it. Instead, you can
leave the viewer window open. It will then be available in your PSP8 font
dropdown list. You probably need to delete the copy in Windows\Fonts
beforehand since that installation of the font is not working correctly.

Also, you'll want to keep create the text on a separate layer (default
behavior for PSP). Then merge it into the saved file so that it is
converted from a font to a graphic element. That means it is no longer a
font - it is a part of the picture. People will see it as you intended
whether they have that font or not.

If the original image is one that you like to add different text to on a
regular basis, save a master copy of the image without any text. After
adding text, use Save As and assign a different name to the resulting file
so that original master image is preserved.

If, on the other hand, you do not get a good view of the font in the
viewer window, your copy of the font file may be corrupt. Try a different
copy.

NOTE: Some font files in the graphics community do not contain valid fonts.
Instead they are a collection of bitmaps stuffed into a .ttf file. If you
continue to have trouble with this particular font, suggest contacting the
original author for tips on how to make the .ttf file work in XP.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows XP Shell/User