Phil

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2001

Installed XP today and one out of 4 software won't load. Says can't find set
up for it. Any Idea's
--
Thanks, Phil

On Thu, 4 Nov 2004 18:40:03 -0800, Phil wrote:

> Installed XP today and one out of 4 software won't load. Says can't find set
> up for it. Any Idea's

Installing from CD? If the setup program is not autostarting, open Windows
Explorer. Locate the setup.exe file on the CD and double click it to start
the setup.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows XP Shell/User

Phil

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2001

Hi Sharon, when I used explorer to open it said setup.exe not found. I loaded
this software on another computer and it worked fine.When I insert in cd
drive of this computer it sputers for serveral minutes like its trying to
open. Any help would be helpful.Thanks, Phil

On Fri, 5 Nov 2004 06:01:08 -0800, Phil wrote:

> Hi Sharon, when I used explorer to open it said setup.exe not found. I loaded
> this software on another computer and it worked fine.When I insert in cd
> drive of this computer it sputers for serveral minutes like its trying to
> open. Any help would be helpful.Thanks, Phil

Phil, when you open the CD in Windows Explorer, did you look for the file
or use search to locate it? Try finding it manually. You can list the files
by name or type to make it a little easier.

Is the CDrom drive on the machine having any troubles with other CDs? Music
or data?

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows XP Shell/User

Phil

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2001

Hi Sharon, I have no other problems with the drive. I tried to manually open
files and its like there's nothing there on this machine, yet cd works in
other machine. Its so strange. Any other thoughts. Thanks, Phil

On Sat, 6 Nov 2004 03:57:01 -0800, Phil wrote:

> Hi Sharon, I have no other problems with the drive. I tried to manually open
> files and its like there's nothing there on this machine, yet cd works in
> other machine. Its so strange. Any other thoughts. Thanks, Phil

Perhaps a cleaning of the CDs or of the drive would help. It's possible
that the drive is suffering some kind of mechanical failure. Check the
drive by inserting other CDs to see if it can read *any* of them. Try data
CDs as well as other install CDs.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows XP Shell/User

Phil

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2001

Hi Sharon, thanks for your patience. I sent another post about loading it in
4 computers. it works in 2 a Toshiba laptop with windows 98 and a new HP
desktop with XP but doesn't work in 2 other laptops with XP a toshiba and a
new Dell with same results can't even open file manually. Thanks, Phil

On Sun, 7 Nov 2004 19:05:02 -0800, Phil wrote:

> Hi Sharon, thanks for your patience. I sent another post about loading it in
> 4 computers. it works in 2 a Toshiba laptop with windows 98 and a new HP
> desktop with XP but doesn't work in 2 other laptops with XP a toshiba and a
> new Dell with same results can't even open file manually. Thanks, Phil

That sounds like wear and tear to me. No way to tell if it's the CD that is
dicey or if the drives on 2 machines need cleaning or adjusting. There are
cleaning kits for both: CDs and for drives.

Also, some drives do better reading with a particular brand of media. In
other words, if you switch to a different and lesser quality brand of CD, a
working drive may not be able to read the disk. Switch back to better
quality media and the drive functions again.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows XP Shell/User

Jimmy

I downloaded a program and it will install but not run. I have a newer
Toshiba laptop and I tried it on a friends older laptop and it worked fine.
When I try and run the program my hourglass shows briefly and "ta da" thats
it. I turned off all spyware, anti-viirus, etc. programs before dl but
nothing helps. Any ideas?
Please help save my sanity!

"Sharon F" wrote:

> On Sun, 7 Nov 2004 19:05:02 -0800, Phil wrote:
>
> > Hi Sharon, thanks for your patience. I sent another post about loading it in
> > 4 computers. it works in 2 a Toshiba laptop with windows 98 and a new HP
> > desktop with XP but doesn't work in 2 other laptops with XP a toshiba and a
> > new Dell with same results can't even open file manually. Thanks, Phil
>
> That sounds like wear and tear to me. No way to tell if it's the CD that is
> dicey or if the drives on 2 machines need cleaning or adjusting. There are
> cleaning kits for both: CDs and for drives.
>
> Also, some drives do better reading with a particular brand of media. In
> other words, if you switch to a different and lesser quality brand of CD, a
> working drive may not be able to read the disk. Switch back to better
> quality media and the drive functions again.
>
> --
> Sharon F
> MS-MVP ~ Windows XP Shell/User

Have you contacted the technical support web site for this unnamed program?
--
Ted Zieglar

"Jimmy" <Jimmy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I downloaded a program and it will install but not run. I have a newer
> Toshiba laptop and I tried it on a friends older laptop and it worked
fine.
> When I try and run the program my hourglass shows briefly and "ta da"
thats
> it. I turned off all spyware, anti-viirus, etc. programs before dl but
> nothing helps. Any ideas?
> Please help save my sanity!
>
> "Sharon F" wrote:
>
> > On Sun, 7 Nov 2004 19:05:02 -0800, Phil wrote:
> >
> > > Hi Sharon, thanks for your patience. I sent another post about loading
it in
> > > 4 computers. it works in 2 a Toshiba laptop with windows 98 and a new
HP
> > > desktop with XP but doesn't work in 2 other laptops with XP a toshiba
and a
> > > new Dell with same results can't even open file manually. Thanks, Phil
> >
> > That sounds like wear and tear to me. No way to tell if it's the CD that
is
> > dicey or if the drives on 2 machines need cleaning or adjusting. There
are
> > cleaning kits for both: CDs and for drives.
> >
> > Also, some drives do better reading with a particular brand of media. In
> > other words, if you switch to a different and lesser quality brand of
CD, a
> > working drive may not be able to read the disk. Switch back to better
> > quality media and the drive functions again.
> >
> > --
> > Sharon F
> > MS-MVP ~ Windows XP Shell/User

TRENDING THREADS