system recommendations

skunther

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2003
I'm building my first computer from scratch, and am looking for advice/recommendations from knowledgeable people. I'll spend what is necessary to make a killer system, but don't want to break the bank for a minimal improvement over something more reasonably priced. I've decided on a P4 (unless I'm convinced otherwise) and am thinking about an intel 7205 chipset with an asus p4g8x mobo. Is this a good combo? Is there a better one?
I want to stream/download live video and audio (radio, tv, mp3, dvd, live surf cams), produce and record music, game online (though I'm not a hardcore gamer), edit digital video, photoshop, and essentially create a personal multimedia powerhouse. I'd like to be able to do everything fast, glitch free, and bombproof. Any recommendations (and reasoning) regarding platforms, sound cards, video cards, hard drives, monitors, dvd drives, cd-rw drives, peripherals is greatly appreciated.

Much thanks!

he who hesitates misses the cake.

HolyShiznit

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2002
Bump.......and what kind of budget are you thinking of? If you are thinking of being somewhat economical, then an Athlon XP system might be worth looking into.

<font color=blue>
--------------------------------------------------
Guns kill people just like spoons make Rosie O'Donnell fat.
<font color=blue><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by holyshiznit on 01/17/03 01:34 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

Jeff68005

Distinguished
May 4, 2001
<A HREF="http://www6.tomshardware.com/mainboard/20021125/intel_granitebay-04.html" target="_new"> See review article on Tom's Hardware site.</A> Read some of the other article pages

Personally, I'm not sold on the new gereration of motherboards. They seem like more rush to market than whallop. While they do offer a psydo Dual channel, they seem to have a memory speed constraint. I'm not ready to go that route. Someone recently posted a link to a new Gigabyte board that is up and coming. I'm going to wait for a while. I just bought another of the boards that I recommend below.

You can do what you describe with a Gigabyte
<A HREF="http://www.giga-byte.com/products/8pe667ultra.htm" target="_new">GA-8PE667 Ultra with Intel®845PE Chipset</A> and a good video card. The board is certified for PC2700. If you use the PC3200, you describe, there has to be some room for overclocking if you decide to do so.
I'm running a P4 2.4 533 at 2.7 and PC2700 333B memory at 375 on that board. I run 100 percent of the FPU 100 per cent of the time at about 46 C temp.
I am a fan of the ATI All In Wonder series video cards. You should be able to do what you want with any of them 7500 or higher.

Every working computer must be improved .... or replaced ...