ddr400 on ddr333?

koomba

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2002
I know most good boards dont have a problem with memory that is faster than its officially supported speed, but i was fixing to buy an abit it7-max2 v2 and i wanted to go with some pc3200 ram if possible, for upgradeability purposes when i go to dual channel ddr. does anyone know from personal experience if this will run in my board? Or can anyone point me to a review that says one way or another? Also, think this is my best bet for a 845pe chip? I like the others, asus, gb, etc dont get me wrong, but abit are known for their overclocking so you know ;) sorry for so many questions, thanks for all your help in advance!

Jeff68005

Distinguished
May 4, 2001
From the ABIT-USA website:
<font color=purple>
Why there is no DRAM Clock for 200MHz (DDR 400) option in BIOS while use AT7-MAX2 and KD7 series with 333MHz FSB CPU?

The Ration (FSB: AGP:pCI) in BIOS will adjust the default to 5:2:1 while you use 333MHz FSB CPU, the DRAM Clock will not provide 200MHz(DDR400) for choosing at this moment. Besides, the default setting will set to 166MHz because of the limitation on North Bridge Chipset. Therefore, the option of DRAM Clock to 200MHz can not offer 333MHz FSB for CPU to choose. The overall system performance will reach the peak of perfection at 333MHz CPU plus DDR 333 because synchronous mode is always the best choice and can get optimal performance. </font color=purple>

_IF_ PC2100 or PC2700 will work, then there should be no problem using PC3200.
My reading of the memory section of this forum says true Dual DDR is a completely different form of memory.
There is some psudo Dual Channel memory technology which is a matter of the design of the motherboard. For example, Gigabyte has the latter but it is capped at PC2100. Yuch !!

Every working computer must be improved .... or replaced ...

zepper

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2003
I have had to update BIOSes to get some mobos to recognize the SPD on higher speed modules than were commonly available at the time the mobo was designed. Or if your mobo's BIOS allows, you can tell it to ignore the SPD and set your memory settings manually.
.bh.

----------
Perhaps the only reason for your existence is to act as a warning to others...