DVD decoders

Is It neccessary to purchase them or am I not looking in the right place.Any
help would be great. Thanks, Phil
--
Thanks, Phil
4 answers Last reply

    Yes it is necessary to purchase them, they are not included in any version
    of Windows.

    If you just want the decoders, www.gocyberlink.com and www.intervideo.com
    have them.... they also have PowerDVD and WinDVD which are software
    applications that include the decoders. The decoder only package will
    enable you to play DVDs with WindowsMediaPlayer.
    www.coribright.com

    Phil wrote:
    > Is It neccessary to purchase them or am I not looking in the right
    > place.Any help would be great. Thanks, Phil

    Hi, Phil;

    Just to tag onto what Cari posted: it depends. <g>

    Check the software that came with your DVD, and the software you have
    installed to play files on that DVD device. I'd recommend that until you
    encounter a situation where your DVD issues an error something like "encoder
    missing" or "cannot play this file because there is no encoder installed"
    etc., etc. then you not go out and start buying things you may not need.

    --

    ....Sky

    ================

    How to Check if DVD Decoder Software is Installed
    By default, Windows XP does not come with compatible DVD decoder software
    installed. To confirm if you have Windows XP-compatible DVD decoder software
    on your system:

    Start | Run | Type: dvdupgrd /detect | OK |

    A Windows dialog box will open with identifying information about the
    installed software. If No decoders found is displayed, no decoder is
    installed

    Supported Software MPEG-2 DVD Decoders in Windows Media Player for Windows
    XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];306331

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.
    Wes

    In news:496BB9F6-395C-4AC2-936B-4947584A7643@microsoft.com,
    Phil <Phil@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    > Is It neccessary to purchase them or am I not looking in the right
    > place.Any help would be great. Thanks, Phil

    Hi Sky, I just loaded XP full version from ME and the DVD's used to work but
    now I get the error no decoder. Microsoft strikes again. Phil

    "Sky King" wrote:

    > Phil wrote:
    > > Is It neccessary to purchase them or am I not looking in the right
    > > place.Any help would be great. Thanks, Phil
    >
    > Hi, Phil;
    >
    > Just to tag onto what Cari posted: it depends. <g>
    >
    > Check the software that came with your DVD, and the software you have
    > installed to play files on that DVD device. I'd recommend that until you
    > encounter a situation where your DVD issues an error something like "encoder
    > missing" or "cannot play this file because there is no encoder installed"
    > etc., etc. then you not go out and start buying things you may not need.
    >
    > --
    >
    > ....Sky

DVD Microsoft Windows XP