Should NTBACKUP be running in the background (as a svc?)??

Hi - upgraded a few weeks ago from 98SE to XP Home on a well-equipped
pentium III. I'm still entirely on FAT-32. All runs well. However,
this evening I was coping some big files (i depend on disk-to-disk
backups), from a WIN98SE machine on my local 100Mb network TO my XP
machine, and i noticed the copy was going real slow. Anti-virus was
off, so I brought up the task manager, and, for some reason NTBACKUP was
running at about 99% utilization of my CPU. I killed the process and
the copy got much faster.

I can't understand why NTBACKUP was running and what it was doing, does
anyone know?

/j

Also - since I'm all FAT-32, should i disable VSS (volume shadow
service)? I get errors in the event log whenever I run NTbackup ( I do
a daily system state backup and move the file to another PC).

T H A N K S!!

/j

Did you have Backup scheduled prior to the upgrade?

--

Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

"Jeff W" <ms-newsRemoveForSpam@kwcpa.com> wrote in message
> Hi - upgraded a few weeks ago from 98SE to XP Home on a well-equipped
> pentium III. I'm still entirely on FAT-32. All runs well. However,
> this evening I was coping some big files (i depend on disk-to-disk
> backups), from a WIN98SE machine on my local 100Mb network TO my XP
> machine, and i noticed the copy was going real slow. Anti-virus was
> off, so I brought up the task manager, and, for some reason NTBACKUP was
> running at about 99% utilization of my CPU. I killed the process and
> the copy got much faster.
>
> I can't understand why NTBACKUP was running and what it was doing, does
> anyone know?
>
> /j
>
> Also - since I'm all FAT-32, should i disable VSS (volume shadow
> service)? I get errors in the event log whenever I run NTbackup ( I do
> a daily system state backup and move the file to another PC).
>
> T H A N K S!!
>
> /j

no