Should NTBACKUP be running in the background (as a svc?)??

Hi - upgraded a few weeks ago from 98SE to XP Home on a well-equipped
pentium III. I'm still entirely on FAT-32. All runs well. However,
this evening I was coping some big files (i depend on disk-to-disk
backups), from a WIN98SE machine on my local 100Mb network TO my XP
machine, and i noticed the copy was going real slow. Anti-virus was
off, so I brought up the task manager, and, for some reason NTBACKUP was
running at about 99% utilization of my CPU. I killed the process and
the copy got much faster.

I can't understand why NTBACKUP was running and what it was doing, does
anyone know?

/j

Also - since I'm all FAT-32, should i disable VSS (volume shadow
service)? I get errors in the event log whenever I run NTbackup ( I do
a daily system state backup and move the file to another PC).

T H A N K S!!

/j
2 answers Last reply
More about should ntbackup running background

    Did you have Backup scheduled prior to the upgrade?

    --

    Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
    www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

    "Jeff W" <ms-newsRemoveForSpam@kwcpa.com> wrote in message
    > Hi - upgraded a few weeks ago from 98SE to XP Home on a well-equipped
    > pentium III. I'm still entirely on FAT-32. All runs well. However,
    > this evening I was coping some big files (i depend on disk-to-disk
    > backups), from a WIN98SE machine on my local 100Mb network TO my XP
    > machine, and i noticed the copy was going real slow. Anti-virus was
    > off, so I brought up the task manager, and, for some reason NTBACKUP was
    > running at about 99% utilization of my CPU. I killed the process and
    > the copy got much faster.
    >
    > I can't understand why NTBACKUP was running and what it was doing, does
    > anyone know?
    >
    > /j
    >
    > Also - since I'm all FAT-32, should i disable VSS (volume shadow
    > service)? I get errors in the event log whenever I run NTbackup ( I do
    > a daily system state backup and move the file to another PC).
    >
    > T H A N K S!!
    >
    > /j

    no

    Harry Ohrn wrote:

    >Did you have Backup scheduled prior to the upgrade?

Windows XP