WAP54G and Speed 1.0 Mbps

Last response: in Wireless Networking
a b F Wireless
August 21, 2004 11:32:42 PM

Hi,
Is there someone out there who can explain the following.
My wireless connection between the Linksys access point WAP54G (G-mode, WPA,
firmware 2.08) and the USB adapter WUSB54G (firmware 1.08.0) was working
very well before a short break: signal level = excellent and a speed
indication of 54 Mbps.
So far so good.

When I fired up the equipment after a few days (same equipment, same place
in the house), the wireless connection was still there and surfing the Net
seems to work as good as before.

BUT ... the Linksys monitor and Network connections - Status are showing a
speed of 1.0 Mbps.
I have restarted the PC, AP, disabled/enabled WPA but the speed stays at 1.0
Mbps.

Any ideas?

/rob
p.s. I didn't had the opportunity yet to test the AP with another wireless
device or use a PC with another WLAN card.
Something to try when I get can access to other equipment.

--
This e-mail has been scanned by Norton AntiVirus.

More about : wap54g speed mbps

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
August 21, 2004 11:55:17 PM

Hi again,
The problem has been solved by removing the USB adapter from the system with
the Device Manager (an Uninstall though the Control Panel didn't work).
Connect the USB adapter again => new device found and configured as ...
Wireless Connection 3.
The speed is back to 54 Mbps.

Two questions though:
- Any idea what could have messed up my connection?

/rob

"Robban" <robbansoft@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
> Is there someone out there who can explain the following.
> My wireless connection between the Linksys access point WAP54G (G-mode,
WPA,
> firmware 2.08) and the USB adapter WUSB54G (firmware 1.08.0) was working
> very well before a short break: signal level = excellent and a speed
> indication of 54 Mbps.
> So far so good.
>
> When I fired up the equipment after a few days (same equipment, same
place
> in the house), the wireless connection was still there and surfing the Net
> seems to work as good as before.
>
> BUT ... the Linksys monitor and Network connections - Status are showing a
> speed of 1.0 Mbps.
> I have restarted the PC, AP, disabled/enabled WPA but the speed stays at
1.0
> Mbps.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> /rob
> p.s. I didn't had the opportunity yet to test the AP with another wireless
> device or use a PC with another WLAN card.
> Something to try when I get can access to other equipment.
>
> --
> This e-mail has been scanned by Norton AntiVirus.

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
August 22, 2004 12:09:09 AM

> Hi again,
> The problem has been solved by removing the USB adapter
from the system with
> the Device Manager (an Uninstall though the Control Panel
didn't work).
> Connect the USB adapter again => new device found and
configured as ...
> Wireless Connection 3.
> The speed is back to 54 Mbps.
>
> Two questions though:
> - Any idea what could have messed up my connection?

are you certain the actual connexion ws running at 1Mb, or
showing as 1Mb?. My 108G stuff usually shows 11Mb, but
shifts up a few gears when required..

P.
a b F Wireless
August 22, 2004 3:26:55 AM

Hard to say if the real speed was 1 Mbps. I only know that the speed
indication during the last month always showed 54 Mbps (sometimes 24 Mbps,
but never lower than that).
The "1.0 Mbps problem" was gone after the new install.

/rob

"PJB" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message

> "Robban" <robbansoft@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Hi again,
> > The problem has been solved by removing the USB adapter
> from the system with
> > the Device Manager (an Uninstall though the Control Panel
> didn't work).
> > Connect the USB adapter again => new device found and
> configured as ...
> > Wireless Connection 3.
> > The speed is back to 54 Mbps.
> >
> > Two questions though:
> > - Any idea what could have messed up my connection?
>
> are you certain the actual connexion ws running at 1Mb, or
> showing as 1Mb?. My 108G stuff usually shows 11Mb, but
> shifts up a few gears when required..
>
> P.

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
August 22, 2004 9:08:23 PM

On Sat, 21 Aug 2004 19:55:17 +0200, Robban spoketh

>Hi again,
>The problem has been solved by removing the USB adapter from the system with
>the Device Manager (an Uninstall though the Control Panel didn't work).
>Connect the USB adapter again => new device found and configured as ...
>Wireless Connection 3.
>The speed is back to 54 Mbps.
>
>Two questions though:
>- Any idea what could have messed up my connection?
>
>/rob

Could be interference from many things... You could have neighbors with
wireless network equipment or cordless phone, microwave ovens. The
indicated speed on my WLAN at home varies from 54Mbps to 1Mbps even with
the "excellent" rating on signal strength.

Try changing the channel on your WAP, and see if that improves your
performance. It's possible that someone else has an access point using a
channel close to yours, and that could cause the performance loss you
are experiencing.

Lars M. Hansen
www.hansenonline.net