anti virus protection

can anyone recomend a anti virus protection program as there is so many to
choose, Im not sure which one to choose. Are some better than others?
15 answers Last reply
More about anti virus protection

    I have found Trend Micro's PC-cillin to be the best antivirus software. It
    always is able to handle viruses and updates come pretty much daily. I have
    used Norton and Mcafee at different times and both i found to be inferior to
    PC-cillin. I also know many computer tech's who swear by it.

    "Kirsty" wrote:

    > can anyone recomend a anti virus protection program as there is so many to
    > choose, Im not sure which one to choose. Are some better than others?

    Symantec's Norton Internet Security 2005 provides essential protection
    from viruses, hackers, and privacy threats. Norton AntiVirus is the
    world's most trusted antivirus solution. Norton Personal Firewall
    keeps personal data in and hackers out. And Norton Privacy Control,
    Norton AntiSpam, and Norton Parental Control safeguard you and
    your family from other common online risks.
    Ref: http://www.symantecstore.com/dr/sat1/ec_MAIN.Entry10?V1=641229&PN=1&SP=10023&xid=27674&CID=0&DSP=&CUR=840&PGRP=0&CACHE_ID=0

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

    Kirsty wrote:
    > can anyone recomend a anti virus protection program as there is so
    > many to choose, Im not sure which one to choose. Are some better than
    > others?

    I like Symantec's products.
    You can get cheaper and just as good though.

    Symantec (Norton) AntiVirus (~$11 and up)
    http://www.symantec.com/nav/nav_9xnt/

    Kaspersky Anti-Virus (~$49.95 and up)
    http://www.kaspersky.com/products.html

    Panda Antivirus Titanium (~$39.95 and up)
    http://www.pandasoftware.com/
    (Free Online Scanner: http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan/)

    AVG Anti-Virus System (Free and up)
    http://www.grisoft.com/

    McAfee VirusScan (~$11 and up)
    http://www.mcafee.com/

    AntiVir (Free and up)
    http://www.free-av.com/

    avast! (Free and up)

    Trend Micro (~$49.95 and up)
    http://www.trendmicro.com/en/home/us/personal.htm
    (Free Online Scanner:
    http://housecall.trendmicro.com/housecall/start_corp.asp)

    RAV AntiVirus Online Virus Scan (Free!)
    http://www.ravantivirus.com/scan/

    Google for opinions on each.

    --
    <- Shenan ->

    McAfee 8.. works well.. integrates with SP2.. get the version with the
    firewall included..

    "Kirsty" <Kirsty@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > can anyone recomend a anti virus protection program as there is so many to
    > choose, Im not sure which one to choose. Are some better than others?

    Hi,

    You will get as many opinions as there are products available. Here is mine,
    and keep in mind that all opinions are worth exactly what they cost you.....

    Avoid any Symantec (Norton) product like the plague. While they make fine
    corporate products, the home user versions tend to be overbearing system
    hogs. Same thing goes for Network Associates (McAfee).

    What do I use?

    AVG www.grisoft.com (free for home users)
    E-trust www.my-etrust.com/microsoft (one year free trial)
    Kaspersky www.kaspersky.com (really good, but not cheap)

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    Rick "Nutcase" Rogers wrote:
    > You will get as many opinions as there are products available. Here
    > is mine, and keep in mind that all opinions are worth exactly what
    > they cost you.....
    > Avoid any Symantec (Norton) product like the plague. While they make
    > fine corporate products, the home user versions tend to be
    > overbearing system hogs. Same thing goes for Network Associates
    > (McAfee).

    Actually - that is the best way I have ever seen that phrased!
    I may snatch that from you, if you don't mind.

    --
    <- Shenan ->

    In rebuttal to your response, my experience has been just the opposite. I
    have a small network at home (5 computers) and a larger network at work (23
    computers), and I have Norton Internet Security 2005 on all of them. It
    does not take up any system resources, other than when a file is scanned. I
    would not use anything else. McAfee is a joke...if anyone were to read any
    of the numerous websites that rate AV products, McAfee is not as good as
    many others, even some of the "free" Av programs such as AVG.

    Norton is the #1 selling AV product in the work, both in corporate and home
    sales. There is a reason for that...it works! It has a clean, simple
    interface, can be configured to suit the users specific needs, and updates
    intelligently in the background.

    If you want the best, and you want peace of mind...get Norton.

    Bobby

    > Hi,
    >
    > You will get as many opinions as there are products available. Here is
    > mine, and keep in mind that all opinions are worth exactly what they cost
    > you.....
    >
    > Avoid any Symantec (Norton) product like the plague. While they make fine
    > corporate products, the home user versions tend to be overbearing system
    > hogs. Same thing goes for Network Associates (McAfee).
    >
    > What do I use?
    >
    > AVG www.grisoft.com (free for home users)
    > E-trust www.my-etrust.com/microsoft (one year free trial)
    > Kaspersky www.kaspersky.com (really good, but not cheap)
    >
    > --
    > Best of Luck,

    > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    > Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >
    > "Kirsty" <Kirsty@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> can anyone recomend a anti virus protection program as there is so many
    >> choose, Im not sure which one to choose. Are some better than others?

    I entirely agree with Rick about Symantec (Norton) and McAfee. Especially
    if you use Outlook Express.

    --
    Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
    http://www.fjsmjs.com

    "NoNoBadDog!" <mypants_bjsledgeATpixi.com> wrote in message
    > In rebuttal to your response, my experience has been just the
    > opposite. I have a small network at home (5 computers) and a larger
    > network at work (23 computers), and I have Norton Internet Security
    > 2005 on all of them. It does not take up any system resources, other
    > than when a file is scanned. I would not use anything else. McAfee
    > is a joke...if anyone were to read any of the numerous websites that
    > rate AV products, McAfee is not as good as many others, even some of
    > the "free" Av programs such as AVG.
    > Norton is the #1 selling AV product in the work, both in corporate
    > and home sales. There is a reason for that...it works! It has a
    > clean, simple interface, can be configured to suit the users specific
    > needs, and updates intelligently in the background.
    >
    > If you want the best, and you want peace of mind...get Norton.
    >
    > Bobby

    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> You will get as many opinions as there are products available. Here
    >> is mine, and keep in mind that all opinions are worth exactly what
    >> they cost you.....
    >>
    >> Avoid any Symantec (Norton) product like the plague. While they make
    >> fine corporate products, the home user versions tend to be
    >> overbearing system hogs. Same thing goes for Network Associates
    >> (McAfee). What do I use?
    >>
    >> AVG www.grisoft.com (free for home users)
    >> E-trust www.my-etrust.com/microsoft (one year free trial)
    >> Kaspersky www.kaspersky.com (really good, but not cheap)
    >>
    >> --
    >> Best of Luck,

    >> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    >> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >>
    >> "Kirsty" <Kirsty@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >>> can anyone recomend a anti virus protection program as there is so
    >>> many to
    >>> choose, Im not sure which one to choose. Are some better than
    >>> others?

    Hi ... I myself will never again use Norton or Mcafee .... Try this anti
    virus program >>> AVG Pro

    http://www.grisoft.com/us/us_avg_online.php/

    "Kirsty" <Kirsty@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > can anyone recomend a anti virus protection program as there is so many to
    > choose, Im not sure which one to choose. Are some better than others?

    You may...

    --

    "Shenan Stanley" <news_helper@hushmail.com> wrote in message
    > Rick "Nutcase" Rogers wrote:
    >> You will get as many opinions as there are products available. Here
    >> is mine, and keep in mind that all opinions are worth exactly what
    >> they cost you.....
    >> Avoid any Symantec (Norton) product like the plague. While they make
    >> fine corporate products, the home user versions tend to be
    >> overbearing system hogs. Same thing goes for Network Associates
    >> (McAfee).
    >

    > Actually - that is the best way I have ever seen that phrased!
    > I may snatch that from you, if you don't mind.
    >
    > --
    > <- Shenan ->

    Like I said, opinions and experiences vary.

    --

    Kirsty wrote:
    > can anyone recomend a anti virus protection program as there is so
    > many to choose, Im not sure which one to choose. Are some better
    > than
    > others?

    You'll get nearly as many differing opinions as you will

    I used, and recommended, Norton Antivirus and then Norton Internet
    Security, for many years, on Win98, WinNT, Win2K, and WinXP, all
    without any significant problems. I had used McAfee prior to that.
    But it's been several years since I've been tempted to try McAfee
    products. Their quality seemed to take a steep nose-dive after they
    were acquired by Network Associates.

    However, when my subscription to Symantec's updates for Norton
    Internet Security 2002 came up for renewal (at a cost substantially
    higher than the preceding year's subscription), I decided to try less
    expensive solutions. I downloaded and installed the free version of
    GriSoft's AVG (http://www.grisoft.com/us/us_dwnl_free.php ) and the
    free version of Sygate's Personal Firewall
    (http://smb.sygate.com/free/default.php ). Both have proven to be
    easily installed, easy to use, and quite effective. Additionally, I
    was pleasantly surprised to see a small but very noticeable
    improvement in my PC's performance, once I'd replaced the Symantec
    product.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    having
    both at once. - RAH

    I agree also with Rick on the Norton issue, but my experience with Neowatch
    (which subsequently became McAfee Firewall) and McAfee anti-virus has always
    been good in that I have never had a virus infection on any computer in my
    possession, and have never been 'hacked'.. this goes for everybody else that
    I have ever set up with a computer.. and we all use Outlook Express..

    have problems, try another..

    "Frank Saunders, MS-MVP" <franksaunders@mvps.org> wrote in message
    >I entirely agree with Rick about Symantec (Norton) and McAfee. Especially
    >if you use Outlook Express.
    >
    > --
    > Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
    > http://www.fjsmjs.com
    > Protect your PC
    >
    > "NoNoBadDog!" <mypants_bjsledgeATpixi.com> wrote in message
    >> In rebuttal to your response, my experience has been just the
    >> opposite. I have a small network at home (5 computers) and a larger
    >> network at work (23 computers), and I have Norton Internet Security
    >> 2005 on all of them. It does not take up any system resources, other
    >> than when a file is scanned. I would not use anything else. McAfee
    >> is a joke...if anyone were to read any of the numerous websites that
    >> rate AV products, McAfee is not as good as many others, even some of
    >> the "free" Av programs such as AVG.
    >> Norton is the #1 selling AV product in the work, both in corporate
    >> and home sales. There is a reason for that...it works! It has a
    >> clean, simple interface, can be configured to suit the users specific
    >> needs, and updates intelligently in the background.
    >>
    >> If you want the best, and you want peace of mind...get Norton.
    >>
    >> Bobby
    >>
    >> "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" <rick@mvps.org> wrote in message
    >>> Hi,
    >>>
    >>> You will get as many opinions as there are products available. Here
    >>> is mine, and keep in mind that all opinions are worth exactly what
    >>> they cost you.....
    >>>
    >>> Avoid any Symantec (Norton) product like the plague. While they make
    >>> fine corporate products, the home user versions tend to be
    >>> overbearing system hogs. Same thing goes for Network Associates
    >>> (McAfee). What do I use?
    >>>
    >>> AVG www.grisoft.com (free for home users)
    >>> E-trust www.my-etrust.com/microsoft (one year free trial)
    >>> Kaspersky www.kaspersky.com (really good, but not cheap)
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Best of Luck,

    >>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    >>> Associate Expert - WindowsXP Expert Zone
    >>> www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    >>> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >>>
    >>> "Kirsty" <Kirsty@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

  14. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    www.my-etrust.com would be my choice, stay away from Symantec and Mcafee
    products.

    Marc

    "Kirsty" <Kirsty@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > can anyone recomend a anti virus protection program as there is so many to
    > choose, Im not sure which one to choose. Are some better than others?
  15. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    Kirsty wrote:
    > can anyone recomend a anti virus protection program as there is so many to
    > choose, Im not sure which one to choose. Are some better than others?
    Another is Avast.The home version is free.
    And you need to install some spyware scanners too.
    I have info and links on my site.
    -max

    --
    To help you stay safe see: http://www.geocities.com/maxpro4u/madmax.html