anti virus protection

can anyone recomend a anti virus protection program as there is so many to
choose, Im not sure which one to choose. Are some better than others?

I have found Trend Micro's PC-cillin to be the best antivirus software. It
always is able to handle viruses and updates come pretty much daily. I have
used Norton and Mcafee at different times and both i found to be inferior to
PC-cillin. I also know many computer tech's who swear by it.

"Kirsty" wrote:

> can anyone recomend a anti virus protection program as there is so many to
> choose, Im not sure which one to choose. Are some better than others?

Symantec's Norton Internet Security 2005 provides essential protection
from viruses, hackers, and privacy threats. Norton AntiVirus is the
world's most trusted antivirus solution. Norton Personal Firewall
keeps personal data in and hackers out. And Norton Privacy Control,
Norton AntiSpam, and Norton Parental Control safeguard you and
your family from other common online risks.
Ref: http://www.symantecstore.com/dr/sat1/ec_MAIN.Entry10?V1=641229&PN=1&SP=10023&xid=27674&CID=0&DSP=&CUR=840&PGRP=0&CACHE_ID=0

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

Kirsty wrote:
> can anyone recomend a anti virus protection program as there is so
> many to choose, Im not sure which one to choose. Are some better than
> others?

I like Symantec's products.
You can get cheaper and just as good though.

Symantec (Norton) AntiVirus (~$11 and up)
http://www.symantec.com/nav/nav_9xnt/

Kaspersky Anti-Virus (~$49.95 and up)
http://www.kaspersky.com/products.html

Panda Antivirus Titanium (~$39.95 and up)
http://www.pandasoftware.com/
(Free Online Scanner: http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan/)

AVG Anti-Virus System (Free and up)
http://www.grisoft.com/

McAfee VirusScan (~$11 and up)
http://www.mcafee.com/

AntiVir (Free and up)
http://www.free-av.com/

avast! (Free and up)

Trend Micro (~$49.95 and up)
http://www.trendmicro.com/en/home/us/personal.htm
(Free Online Scanner:
http://housecall.trendmicro.com/housecall/start_corp.asp)

RAV AntiVirus Online Virus Scan (Free!)
http://www.ravantivirus.com/scan/

Google for opinions on each.

--
<- Shenan ->

McAfee 8.. works well.. integrates with SP2.. get the version with the
firewall included..

"Kirsty" <Kirsty@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> can anyone recomend a anti virus protection program as there is so many to
> choose, Im not sure which one to choose. Are some better than others?

Hi,

You will get as many opinions as there are products available. Here is mine,
and keep in mind that all opinions are worth exactly what they cost you.....

Avoid any Symantec (Norton) product like the plague. While they make fine
corporate products, the home user versions tend to be overbearing system
hogs. Same thing goes for Network Associates (McAfee).

What do I use?

AVG www.grisoft.com (free for home users)
E-trust www.my-etrust.com/microsoft (one year free trial)
Kaspersky www.kaspersky.com (really good, but not cheap)

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

Rick "Nutcase" Rogers wrote:
> You will get as many opinions as there are products available. Here
> is mine, and keep in mind that all opinions are worth exactly what
> they cost you.....
> Avoid any Symantec (Norton) product like the plague. While they make
> fine corporate products, the home user versions tend to be
> overbearing system hogs. Same thing goes for Network Associates
> (McAfee).

Actually - that is the best way I have ever seen that phrased!
I may snatch that from you, if you don't mind.

--
<- Shenan ->

In rebuttal to your response, my experience has been just the opposite. I
have a small network at home (5 computers) and a larger network at work (23
computers), and I have Norton Internet Security 2005 on all of them. It
does not take up any system resources, other than when a file is scanned. I
would not use anything else. McAfee is a joke...if anyone were to read any
of the numerous websites that rate AV products, McAfee is not as good as
many others, even some of the "free" Av programs such as AVG.

Norton is the #1 selling AV product in the work, both in corporate and home
sales. There is a reason for that...it works! It has a clean, simple
interface, can be configured to suit the users specific needs, and updates
intelligently in the background.

If you want the best, and you want peace of mind...get Norton.

Bobby

> Hi,
>
> You will get as many opinions as there are products available. Here is
> mine, and keep in mind that all opinions are worth exactly what they cost
> you.....
>
> Avoid any Symantec (Norton) product like the plague. While they make fine
> corporate products, the home user versions tend to be overbearing system
> hogs. Same thing goes for Network Associates (McAfee).
>
> What do I use?
>
> AVG www.grisoft.com (free for home users)
> E-trust www.my-etrust.com/microsoft (one year free trial)
> Kaspersky www.kaspersky.com (really good, but not cheap)
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "Kirsty" <Kirsty@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> can anyone recomend a anti virus protection program as there is so many
>> choose, Im not sure which one to choose. Are some better than others?

I entirely agree with Rick about Symantec (Norton) and McAfee. Especially
if you use Outlook Express.

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
http://www.fjsmjs.com

"NoNoBadDog!" <mypants_bjsledgeATpixi.com> wrote in message
> In rebuttal to your response, my experience has been just the
> opposite. I have a small network at home (5 computers) and a larger
> network at work (23 computers), and I have Norton Internet Security
> 2005 on all of them. It does not take up any system resources, other
> than when a file is scanned. I would not use anything else. McAfee
> is a joke...if anyone were to read any of the numerous websites that
> rate AV products, McAfee is not as good as many others, even some of
> the "free" Av programs such as AVG.
> Norton is the #1 selling AV product in the work, both in corporate
> and home sales. There is a reason for that...it works! It has a
> clean, simple interface, can be configured to suit the users specific
> needs, and updates intelligently in the background.
>
> If you want the best, and you want peace of mind...get Norton.
>
> Bobby

>> Hi,
>>
>> You will get as many opinions as there are products available. Here
>> is mine, and keep in mind that all opinions are worth exactly what
>> they cost you.....
>>
>> Avoid any Symantec (Norton) product like the plague. While they make
>> fine corporate products, the home user versions tend to be
>> overbearing system hogs. Same thing goes for Network Associates
>> (McAfee). What do I use?
>>
>> AVG www.grisoft.com (free for home users)
>> E-trust www.my-etrust.com/microsoft (one year free trial)
>> Kaspersky www.kaspersky.com (really good, but not cheap)
>>
>> --
>> Best of Luck,

>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>>
>> "Kirsty" <Kirsty@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>> can anyone recomend a anti virus protection program as there is so
>>> many to
>>> choose, Im not sure which one to choose. Are some better than
>>> others?

Hi ... I myself will never again use Norton or Mcafee .... Try this anti
virus program >>> AVG Pro

http://www.grisoft.com/us/us_avg_online.php/

"Kirsty" <Kirsty@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> can anyone recomend a anti virus protection program as there is so many to
> choose, Im not sure which one to choose. Are some better than others?

You may...

--

"Shenan Stanley" <news_helper@hushmail.com> wrote in message
> Rick "Nutcase" Rogers wrote:
>> You will get as many opinions as there are products available. Here
>> is mine, and keep in mind that all opinions are worth exactly what
>> they cost you.....
>> Avoid any Symantec (Norton) product like the plague. While they make
>> fine corporate products, the home user versions tend to be
>> overbearing system hogs. Same thing goes for Network Associates
>> (McAfee).
>

> Actually - that is the best way I have ever seen that phrased!
> I may snatch that from you, if you don't mind.
>
> --
> <- Shenan ->

Like I said, opinions and experiences vary.

--

Kirsty wrote:
> can anyone recomend a anti virus protection program as there is so
> many to choose, Im not sure which one to choose. Are some better
> than
> others?

You'll get nearly as many differing opinions as you will

I used, and recommended, Norton Antivirus and then Norton Internet
Security, for many years, on Win98, WinNT, Win2K, and WinXP, all
without any significant problems. I had used McAfee prior to that.
But it's been several years since I've been tempted to try McAfee
products. Their quality seemed to take a steep nose-dive after they
were acquired by Network Associates.

However, when my subscription to Symantec's updates for Norton
Internet Security 2002 came up for renewal (at a cost substantially
higher than the preceding year's subscription), I decided to try less
expensive solutions. I downloaded and installed the free version of
GriSoft's AVG (http://www.grisoft.com/us/us_dwnl_free.php ) and the
free version of Sygate's Personal Firewall
(http://smb.sygate.com/free/default.php ). Both have proven to be
easily installed, easy to use, and quite effective. Additionally, I
was pleasantly surprised to see a small but very noticeable
improvement in my PC's performance, once I'd replaced the Symantec
product.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

having
both at once. - RAH

I agree also with Rick on the Norton issue, but my experience with Neowatch
(which subsequently became McAfee Firewall) and McAfee anti-virus has always
been good in that I have never had a virus infection on any computer in my
possession, and have never been 'hacked'.. this goes for everybody else that
I have ever set up with a computer.. and we all use Outlook Express..

have problems, try another..

"Frank Saunders, MS-MVP" <franksaunders@mvps.org> wrote in message
>I entirely agree with Rick about Symantec (Norton) and McAfee. Especially
>if you use Outlook Express.
>
> --
> Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
> http://www.fjsmjs.com
> Protect your PC
>
> "NoNoBadDog!" <mypants_bjsledgeATpixi.com> wrote in message
>> In rebuttal to your response, my experience has been just the
>> opposite. I have a small network at home (5 computers) and a larger
>> network at work (23 computers), and I have Norton Internet Security
>> 2005 on all of them. It does not take up any system resources, other
>> than when a file is scanned. I would not use anything else. McAfee
>> is a joke...if anyone were to read any of the numerous websites that
>> rate AV products, McAfee is not as good as many others, even some of
>> the "free" Av programs such as AVG.
>> Norton is the #1 selling AV product in the work, both in corporate
>> and home sales. There is a reason for that...it works! It has a
>> clean, simple interface, can be configured to suit the users specific
>> needs, and updates intelligently in the background.
>>
>> If you want the best, and you want peace of mind...get Norton.
>>
>> Bobby
>>
>> "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" <rick@mvps.org> wrote in message
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> You will get as many opinions as there are products available. Here
>>> is mine, and keep in mind that all opinions are worth exactly what
>>> they cost you.....
>>>
>>> Avoid any Symantec (Norton) product like the plague. While they make
>>> fine corporate products, the home user versions tend to be
>>> overbearing system hogs. Same thing goes for Network Associates
>>> (McAfee). What do I use?
>>>
>>> AVG www.grisoft.com (free for home users)
>>> E-trust www.my-etrust.com/microsoft (one year free trial)
>>> Kaspersky www.kaspersky.com (really good, but not cheap)
>>>
>>> --
>>> Best of Luck,

>>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>>> Associate Expert - WindowsXP Expert Zone
>>> www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
>>> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>>>
>>> "Kirsty" <Kirsty@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

www.my-etrust.com would be my choice, stay away from Symantec and Mcafee
products.

Marc

"Kirsty" <Kirsty@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> can anyone recomend a anti virus protection program as there is so many to
> choose, Im not sure which one to choose. Are some better than others?

MadMax

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2003

Kirsty wrote:
> can anyone recomend a anti virus protection program as there is so many to
> choose, Im not sure which one to choose. Are some better than others?
Another is Avast.The home version is free.
And you need to install some spyware scanners too.
I have info and links on my site.
-max

--
To help you stay safe see: http://www.geocities.com/maxpro4u/madmax.html