2 identical entries in Boot Menu, only one in boot.ini??

Hi - Upgraded another machine from WIN98SE to WINXP today. All went
quite well. Except that on every boot I get the boot menu, and two
identical entries labelled. "Original Configuration". The Boot.ini
looks like

=====================================
[boot loader]
timeout = 30
default = multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS

[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS = "Microsoft Windows XP Home
Edition" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
=======================

I tried changing the timeout to 3 bit it didn't matter, which makes me
think it's getting its boot info from somewhere else?

Thanks!
/j

Hi,

Does it have that blank line in there? Try removing it, just leave:

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Jeff W" <ms-newsRemoveForSpam@kwcpa.com> wrote in message
> Hi - Upgraded another machine from WIN98SE to WINXP today. All went
> quite well. Except that on every boot I get the boot menu, and two
> identical entries labelled. "Original Configuration". The Boot.ini
> looks like
>
> =====================================
> [boot loader]
> timeout = 30
> default = multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS
>
> [operating systems]
> multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS = "Microsoft Windows XP Home
> Edition" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
> =======================
>
> I tried changing the timeout to 3 bit it didn't matter, which makes me
> think it's getting its boot info from somewhere else?
>
> Thanks!
> /j

nope didn't help

Rick "Nutcase" Rogers wrote:

>Hi,
>
>Does it have that blank line in there? Try removing it, just leave:
>
>[boot loader]
>timeout = 30
>default = multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS
>[operating systems]
>multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS = "Microsoft Windows XP Home
>Edition" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

Hi Jeff,

By "boot menu", do you mean you get the menu to load safe mode, last known,
etc?

--

> nope didn't help
>
> Rick "Nutcase" Rogers wrote:
>
>>Hi,
>>
>>Does it have that blank line in there? Try removing it, just leave:
>>
>>[boot loader]
>>timeout = 30
>>default = multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS
>>[operating systems]
>>multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS = "Microsoft Windows XP Home
>>Edition" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

No - it looks like a 'choose from multiple OSes" window.

/j

Rick "Nutcase" Rogers wrote:

>Hi Jeff,
>
>By "boot menu", do you mean you get the menu to load safe mode, last known,
>etc?

Hi Jeff,

I would delete and rebuild boot.ini from the Recovery Console, the file may
be corrupt.

--

> No - it looks like a 'choose from multiple OSes" window.
>
> /j
>
> Rick "Nutcase" Rogers wrote:
>
>>Hi Jeff,
>>
>>By "boot menu", do you mean you get the menu to load safe mode, last
>>known,
>>etc?

sounds like a scary thing to do, and it's just a text file.

still - how would i do this? (with XP Home I have limited recovery
console commands)
/j

Rick "Nutcase" Rogers wrote:

>Hi Jeff,
>
>I would delete and rebuild boot.ini from the Recovery Console, the file may
>be corrupt.

it was a recovery menu - fixed it
My Computer -> Properties -> hardware -> profiles
/j