Hello,
I have 1 GB RAM,. 2 chips of 512 MB. The bios recognises it properly.
When I right click on "my computer", the RAM is displayed correctly but when
i do Start Menu->Programs->Accessories->System Tools->System Information,
the total physical RAM is displayed as 768 MB. Why is this happening?
I sometimes get the crash of Driver IRQL Not Less or Equal. Does it has
something to do with RAM?
Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

"Jasbir Singh Vig" wrote:

> Hello,
> I have 1 GB RAM,. 2 chips of 512 MB. The bios recognises it properly.
> When I right click on "my computer", the RAM is displayed correctly but when
> i do Start Menu->Programs->Accessories->System Tools->System Information,
> the total physical RAM is displayed as 768 MB. Why is this happening?
> I sometimes get the crash of Driver IRQL Not Less or Equal. Does it has
> something to do with RAM?
> Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Mathematics. 1K bytes = 1,024 bytes. (not 1,000)

This is a completely wrong answer.

Chuck has been smoking a little too much of the ganga.

Do you have on-board video or a separate video card?

Bobby

NoNoBadDog! wrote:
> This is a completely wrong answer.
>
> Chuck has been smoking a little too much of the ganga.
>

> Do you have on-board video or a separate video card?
>

> Bobby

Bobby,

This is unlikely to be the issue here. I don't believe that an on board chip
can utilise more than 128MB - I have certainly never come across a chip that
takes 256. In all the boards I've had (including this one) with on-board
(not that I'm using it) the maximum setting is 128.

lose his marbles?

While my card is not onboard (AGP slot model with Dual DVI output - 256MB),
I do have both outputs shadowed at 256MB each, using a total of 512MB of my
4GB or RAM, which leaves only 3.5GB for Windows. This is done entirely
through the BIOS and speeds up rendering on both Digital LCD monitors -
works extra nicely in Game Play.

--

StringFellow Hawk

"Dom, Give me Turbos"
> NoNoBadDog! wrote:
> > This is a completely wrong answer.
> >
> > Chuck has been smoking a little too much of the ganga.
> >

> > Do you have on-board video or a separate video card?
> >

> > Bobby
>
> Bobby,
>
> This is unlikely to be the issue here. I don't believe that an on board
chip
> can utilise more than 128MB - I have certainly never come across a chip
that
> takes 256. In all the boards I've had (including this one) with on-board
> (not that I'm using it) the maximum setting is 128.
>

> --
> My great-grandfather was born and raised in Elgin - did he eventually
> lose his marbles?

i have only one video card.
recently i installed a new sound card but i made sure i have disabled the on
board sound in the bios.
Its a cheap card. Their website is messed up too. could it be this sound
card?

"NoNoBadDog!" <mypants_bjsledgeATpixi.com> wrote in message
> This is a completely wrong answer.
>
> Chuck has been smoking a little too much of the ganga.
>

> Do you have on-board video or a separate video card?
>

> Bobby
>
> "Chuck Davis" <ChuckDavis@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >

> > "Jasbir Singh Vig" wrote:
> >
> >> Hello,
> >> I have 1 GB RAM,. 2 chips of 512 MB. The bios recognises it properly.
> >> When I right click on "my computer", the RAM is displayed correctly but
> >> when
> >> i do Start Menu->Programs->Accessories->System Tools->System
Information,
> >> the total physical RAM is displayed as 768 MB. Why is this happening?
> >> I sometimes get the crash of Driver IRQL Not Less or Equal. Does it has
> >> something to do with RAM?
> >> Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
> >>

> > Mathematics. 1K bytes = 1,024 bytes. (not 1,000)

"Out of Memory" Error Messages with Large Amounts of RAM Installed
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;Q253912

32-Bit File Access Maximum Cache Size
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;Q108079

"Jasbir Singh Vig" <jmvig@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
> I have 1 GB RAM,. 2 chips of 512 MB. The bios recognises it properly.
> When I right click on "my computer", the RAM is displayed correctly but
> when
> i do Start Menu->Programs->Accessories->System Tools->System Information,
> the total physical RAM is displayed as 768 MB. Why is this happening?
> I sometimes get the crash of Driver IRQL Not Less or Equal. Does it has
> something to do with RAM?
> Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Niether of those articles has anything to do with WindowsXP or the problem.
They are regarding memory mangement in a Win9x system. WinXP is COMPLETELY
different in this respect.

My best guess is the same line of thinking that NoNoBadDog! has, that there
is shared video ram.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Touch Base" <animals@thezoo.com> wrote in message
> "Out of Memory" Error Messages with Large Amounts of RAM Installed
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;Q253912
>
> 32-Bit File Access Maximum Cache Size
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;Q108079
>
> "Jasbir Singh Vig" <jmvig@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Hello,
>> I have 1 GB RAM,. 2 chips of 512 MB. The bios recognises it properly.
>> When I right click on "my computer", the RAM is displayed correctly but
>> when
>> i do Start Menu->Programs->Accessories->System Tools->System Information,
>> the total physical RAM is displayed as 768 MB. Why is this happening?
>> I sometimes get the crash of Driver IRQL Not Less or Equal. Does it has
>> something to do with RAM?
>> Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

map

"Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:

> Niether of those articles has anything to do with WindowsXP or the problem.
> They are regarding memory mangement in a Win9x system. WinXP is COMPLETELY
> different in this respect.

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

Thank's Rick!
I have 1536mb of ram and 2301 to 3840mb of virtual, on occasion I get an out
of resources message,I hit ok and the system continues to run fine, I was
about to get side tracked troubleshooting it.