Harddrive not an option in bootable devices

Haljon

Distinguished
May 23, 2002
Hello all,
I just build a new computer for myself. Everything went very well with no issues. However, yesterday during a bootup, I get the message telling me to put a bootable disk in drive A as there was a OS boot error. ( could not find OS to boot from). After looking around, this is what I found. In the BIOS, is shown the hard drive as the primary master and shows the burner as the slave. This is the way it is set. However, if I look at boot order, I can not pick the hard drive as an option. Now, Im guessing this is why I got the boot error, but why would the BIOS see the Hard drive as the master, but not allow me to pick it as a bootable option? Does this point to a MB issue or a Hard drive issue?

Thanks you all.

phr0ze

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2002
I don't know what level of experience you have but did it have IDE0 as an option? What board is it, What harddrive is it, and are you using the master slave settings or cable select?

---------------------------------------
phr0Ze

I've been hiding in the shadows @ THG since 97.
AMD1800/768MB/9700Pro/Dragon+/240GigRaid0/DoubleWide with Redundant 350watt

Karlsbad

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2002
Are you using a hard drive controller card? A vet might contradict me, or call me an obsolete tech loser lol, but at least in some older bios if you are, there might be an option for something like "bootable add in card", which you should select if you are using such a setup. Otherwise I would make sure that you have the jumpers on your hard drive set right if there are any, i.e primary master, secondary master etc, and be sure that the drive is on the channel you think it is. Try putting your Windows whatever version you're using CD in and see if it boots. But first, are you sure you didn't leave a floppy in?

Is this a new hard drive with a new installation of whatever OS you're wanting to use? You didn't move a hard drive with an OS already on it from another system did you?

Committed to excellence, willing to make do with high average, able to get by on mediocrity in a pinch.

Haljon

Distinguished
May 23, 2002
This is all new stuff. There isent a floppy disk in A and all the jumpers are set correctly. Ths computer worked great for 3 days. Everything installed correctly. Then one day, I got an error telling me that no bootable media was found, and to put it into drive A. When I go into the BIOS, I see the hard drive as the primary master ( as it should be ) however, when I look in the BIOS under boot priority, the hard drive is not an option. Which makes sence why it cant find the OS. Now, if I clear the CMOS and boot, the hard drive is NOT detectied during POST but if I go into the BIOS, there it is as the primary master but again not selectable as a boot device. How can the MB detect the hard drive but not allow me to boot off of it? Is the Hard drive toast? or the motherboard? Anyone else ever come across this?

Thanks

Civilized

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2001
here is a suggestion....and I would definately do this first thing if it happened to me...I would go the the manufacturers website and download the latest bios off their website and reflash...hopefully this will solve your problems.