Sign in with
Your question

Grid

Last response: in Video Games
July 21, 2008 5:35:18 AM

Just got a copy of Grid, the racing game.
I cant tell if its good or bad cos i cant play it with the controller.
Store that i bought it from is obviously no help at all.

Im using an xbox1 controller (usb) and it works 100% on as many games as ive bothered to try.

Soooo does anyone know how i can get it to work on Grid as there is no option to enable it (as far as i can see)

Thanks.

More about : grid

July 21, 2008 6:46:51 AM

Should work straight out of the box. I'm using same controller with no problems.

Have you installed the Grid 1.2 Patch? This apparently fixes some bugs with the control system

Also, you may need to choose a custom controller setup and map the buttons yourself as the default one didnt work for me as the button assignment was all wrong.
July 21, 2008 9:29:09 AM

I had to configure the custom setup. My controller didn't work straight out of the box.
Related resources
July 21, 2008 1:10:18 PM

I've played the demo with my 360 control pad but I can't say the game blow me away nor can I can the game was bad, the graphics were good, the cars handled as I expected them to and the attention to detail is impressive. The biggest problem I have with Grid is that it's not all that exciting, I prefer car games like Carmageddon or Need to For Speed.
July 21, 2008 4:05:17 PM

using the 360 controller with vista nothing to setup at all, and getting over 100million on the drifts isnt bad, i have to say i really liked it, so like GT4 but with the car damage makes it more playable, btw any of you guys got past the raven west race when you complete the gobal stage, its very very hard!!!!!
July 21, 2008 4:18:27 PM

I want to get this game, but only way id get it is if I bought the G25 wheel....but i have no money and getting a wheel just for that isnt really worth it
July 21, 2008 4:26:39 PM

xbox 360 controller ftW
July 21, 2008 7:17:26 PM

I have XP, and Grid worked with the Xbox360 controller without me even having to tell it what I was using for a controller.

Mayber your USB ports are screwey.
July 21, 2008 7:50:22 PM

I do not have a solution, but I would like to point out (because many seem to have not noticed) that he is not using a 360 controller. He said Xbox 1. That is why it isnt working out of the box. As for getting it to work. I am not sure what to do.

Best,

3Ball
July 21, 2008 7:50:38 PM

tomdrum said:
I want to get this game, but only way id get it is if I bought the G25 wheel....but i have no money and getting a wheel just for that isnt really worth it

I have a G25 which I use for Live for Speed, GTR1&2, etc. All I can say is that the G25 is completely wasted on Grid. This game was designed for a controller not a steering wheel.

When I first played Grid I like it a lot. Something a bit different. I felt the handling was better than most arcade style games and I especially loved the drifting and the Touge events, but... once you've played through them a couple of times the fun factor drops dramtically. At least for me anyway. Even on extreme the game offers very little competitiveness and then you start finding faults with it. Especially with the AI which is just horrible!!!

Surely it can't be that hard for a computer controlled car to KNOW your on the racing line or overtaking them on the inside of the corner but instead they just cut across keeping to their own line not even caring what your doing!!

Why can't anyone do decent AI in driving games? I don't think I'm asking for too much... or am I?
July 22, 2008 2:07:07 AM

GRID IS AWESOME :D 
July 22, 2008 2:57:06 AM

Thanks guys.
Got it working last night :D 

What can i say. The game is OK. Its a little too 'arcadey' for me. Even with driving aids off, the car handling just seems... off.

Driving a fast, high powered race car without driving aids, the car should be constantly trying to kill you. Punishing you for every mistake. But its not like that at all. The cars seem and feel like they are on valium... or have been smoking weed.

Will give it a decent go, but me not likey so far.
July 22, 2008 7:16:27 AM

What would be really cool if say we had Gran Turismo, GRID, etc presentation and styling but with the handling/realism of a simulation like GTR or Live for Speed.

That would be awesome!
July 22, 2008 7:30:11 AM

actually i think this is the best racing game since Gran Turismo 3 on the PS2. i had 4 and played through most of it and got tired. I also have been playing NFS since the beginning. and got tired of the series after UG1 didnt like UG2 at all and along with the rest of them. GTR and LfS ehhh. just wasnt cathing to me. Dirt Blah nope even on my new sys. i didnt like the control of the game. It really reminds me of Le Mans 24 Hours on the PS2 i play that for hrs. and if i remember correctly it had a real 24 hr race. but i had that back in '03. the thing i like the most about this game is that you dont have to buy parts and sup-up ur car for it to be faster. you buy a car put some stickers/sponsors on it and race. it has all the factory racing parts you need.
July 22, 2008 9:14:33 AM

Try using a PS3 controller.
July 23, 2008 4:15:14 AM

ps3 is like the worst controller EVA. The only good thing is the patented d-pad. Every other d pad sux.
Its too small and slipery, i cant hold onto it, and the trigers for racing dont have a long enough pull. Thats why, whenever possible i use my xbox1 conrtoller for driving games.

In other news... the game physics SUCK! There is no such thing as progressive under or over steer. U throw a car into a corner and it just turns. U spin out in 3rd gear and keep the power on and drive out of it.

Im pretty dissapointed actually. I will stick to TDU for now.
July 23, 2008 10:53:43 PM

How long do you think the G25 will last do you think? I wan to buy it so bad, and try out some sims, but im off to uni in a few months and dont want to find in a few years that its not supported by many games etc.
July 23, 2008 11:04:18 PM

I don't see the point of buying it just for a few months use. Probably just better off waiting until you get back from Uni and then seeing if you still want it. I would've thought by then a new better steering wheel would be available too!
July 24, 2008 8:26:26 PM

mrmez said:
ps3 is like the worst controller EVA. The only good thing is the patented d-pad. Every other d pad sux.
Its too small and slipery, i cant hold onto it, and the trigers for racing dont have a long enough pull. Thats why, whenever possible i use my xbox1 conrtoller for driving games.

In other news... the game physics SUCK! There is no such thing as progressive under or over steer. U throw a car into a corner and it just turns. U spin out in 3rd gear and keep the power on and drive out of it.

Im pretty dissapointed actually. I will stick to TDU for now.

"Its all-strut suspension is American in design. When driven beyond the grip of the tires it exhibits progressive understeer, a nearly universal trait among front-drive sedans. Understeer describes a vehicle's resistance to turning into a corner, and it invariably increases as a function of speed. Understeer is favored by American handling engineers because correcting it is intuitive for the driver: Simply slow down. But Oldsmobile added some subtle tweaks that lend an extra measure of precision and pleasure to the Intrigue driving experience. The struts, for example, have four-stage valving with integrated rebound springs and fade-resistant synthetic oil. As a result, the Intrigue's suspension is able to keep pace with pavement oscillations, which in turn keeps the tires in constant contact with the road.."

progressive under steer is a 'fancy' way of saying under steer. at least it sounds that way.
July 26, 2008 2:41:05 AM

Well i gave the game another good bash, then uninstalled it.
The whole idea behind the game seems to be "lets make it as easy to drive as possible, so there is no learning curve and people can concentrate on everything else BUT driving"

As an arcade racing game it succeeds quite well. As a racing sim, it fails horribly.
Any real life physics you may think exist are totally missing from the game, both driving and damage. Lift off oversteer, what happened to that? Did the developers 'forget' about that? Clipping a tyre wall at 200+ is also no problem, just like hitting a wall in an open wheeler doesnt remove the front wing or wheel. Counter steering does little to correct a powerslide, but blipping the throttle off for a split second does. Just try doing some donuts... usually a fun time waster in racing games. Id rather be at the dentist.

Sorry Codemasters, Grid is a load of wank imo. I will stick with Test Drive Unlimited and Forza2.
July 26, 2008 10:28:02 AM

I kinda have to disagree. Although the game is pretty crap, it does has lift off oversteer. Although not a lot because it is an arcade racer afterall and so most people who play this game wouldn't know what to do with it and they need to make this game accessible to everyone. Powersliding is easy once you get to grips with the cars obscure knife edge weight balance problem. Also, doughnuts....er, they can be done you have to induce them as they wont happen just by flooring the throttle with full steering lock but they can be done.

As for understear i find most of these cars suffer really bad from it and you find most of the time sliding the rear out just to get round a corner,

Are you sure you've turned off all the driving aids and are using analogue controls???

BTW - Why are you playing Grid if you want a simulation?...it's pretty obvious it's far from being a simulation and is just a plain old all out arcade racer.
!