Mental_Implosion

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2003
Hi everyone, I was wondering if someone could help me :)
I have a Gigabyte GA-7VA motherboard, Athlon XP 1700+ Palomino and 256mb DDR333 RAM. The problem is that I can't set my CPU to work at 1466Mhz(default for 1700+), but only to 1375Mhz. The current FSB is at 125Mhz(100Mhz overclocked). When I set it higher than 125, and save settings, the computer doesn't want to boot. The screen is blank for about 10 seconds and then the computer reboots with default settings(1100Mhz). Fan should be good enough, since it supports Athlon CPUs up to 1733Mhz(XP2100+). I have even tried to set jumpers to 133Mhz FSB, but it doesn't work either. I've talked to few friends and they told me that it might be because of my old 235W PSU, since Athlons require better PSU. So I bought a new one, 450W PSU. But it didn't help :mad:
I have seen on some test websites that GA-7VA is working very good with Athlon XP 1700+ Palomino, and why it doesn't wanna work for me, is mystery :)
I have also contacted Gigabye, and they told me to upgrade my BIOS. The most newest version is F9, while I have F8. I downloaded it and tried to upgrade from QFlash in BIOS(from floppy) and I get error like: "BIOS ROM erasing error!". I also tried to upgrade it from windows through Gigabyte auto update, but it said that my BIOS is not rewritabe :/
I know that I wont gain much better performace by changing it from 1375Mhz to 1466MHz, but I want to correct problem, so that I could upgrade it later with a faster CPU.
Thanks in advance :)

phr0ze

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2002
You probably have bios protection on (it prevents the bios from being written to for viruses and what not) go into the bios and disable and protection/virus stuff.

Try the bios upgrade then and let us know. Finally maybe your ram is bad? Set the FSB to 133 and try the slowest settings/timings on the ram.

---------------------------------------
phr0Ze

I've been hiding in the shadows @ THG since 97.
AMD1800/768MB/9700Pro/Dragon+/240GigRaid0/DoubleWide with Redundant 350watt

Mental_Implosion

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2003
Well there is nothing about virus protection in my BIOS, neither any BIOS protection.

It looks like RAM is bad, since i downgraded it to DDR266, and now it works okay at 1.4Ghz(127 FSB). But still if I increase FSB even 1 Mhz more, everything becomes unstable...
In my first post I forgot to say that my RAM doesn't have any firm name on it. It's only Original/AMD OK
I tried to set my FSB to 133Mhz, together with DDR200 RAM. And it didn't work.... :(
Maybe I should buy better memory. But again, I don't feel like upgrading my pc, since I did that two month ago :)
But I would like to flash my BIOS, so if you have any more ideas, I would appreciate to hear.
Thanks again