E3 08: Fallout 3 Hands-On Preview

tmeacham

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2005
Article by Travis Meacham.

Soon it will be time to venture out of the safe confines of the Vault and into the irradiated wasteland of Fallout 3. We took the game for an all-too-brief demo during E3 and came away both impressed and disappointed.

http://www.tomsgames.com/us/2008/07/21/e308_fallout3/

Innocent

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2008

Fallout & Fallout 2 were praised for their dialogue, moral choices, dark humour and atmosphere and the only thing this article is about is... combat. When I'm interested in fps-action I'll play CoD4 or something, not an RPG. What's the point of even talking about "FPS's" and "RPG's" if the only difference between them these days is "RPG's are FPS's with Stats"?
When trying to write an article about an RPG talk about 'm like "RPG's" not FPS's... :non:

robwright

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2006

As stated in the article, it's kind of hard to assess Fallout 3 in a 30-minute window. There wasn't any time to get into the black humor, moral choices, character progression and dialogue. And that's probably why Bethesda chose not to make a demo of the game for public consumption.

Chef_Boyardee

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2006
I like FPS elements in an RPG. That's what oblivion was. I'm just glad to see more RPGs with a more sci-fi/action (guns/explosions/etc.) approach.

I don't think this game will be just an FPS game. Zenimax makes millions of dollars from a classic RPG franchise. Also, Rouge Warrior will be a shooter. So I just can't see Zenimax/Bethesda making Fallout just a shooter as well. It will be an RPG. Trust me. I own the planet.

ovaltineplease

Distinguished
May 9, 2008

I do say there old fella I approve of your forum avatar.

On the topic, fallout 3 is going to be dandy - combat sounds very mass effect-ish

itadakimasu

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2008
when i found out that fallout 3 was coming out i was pretty excited.

I played through fallout 2 probably 4 or 5 times, and its just one of those great games that is never the same.

Alex The PC Gamer

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2007
I have mixed feelings about Fallout 3. I love Bethesda, I love RPGs, I love FPS, I love dark humour, I loved the series...but for some reason, this title doesn't appeal to me all that much.

My RPG sense tells me Diablo III will be a better RPG adventure...and I'll stick to real FPS if I want my FPS fix.

I just think Fallout 3 is not adventuristic enough (just made up a word)...crumbled buildings will just get old fast IMO. I'm not a hater, but my guts tell me this title won't be what I'd expect from the Fallout series. They did a good job with Oblivion but I wonder how they can make Fallout 3 stand out (other than just hyping the Fallout Franchise).

My 2 cent.