Notepad Missing

We no longer seem to be able to open any files in Notepad, I have tried to
follow advice that I have found on the internet about going into msconfig and
expanding the file but that does not seem to work. I have also done run and
notepad and it opens. I need to be able to show my hijack file as I can't
seem to get rid of all the rubbish off my computer. I would really
appreciate anyones help.

Zarina

Visit http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm and scroll down to
Item No. 326 (left column) and click on "Restore Notepad.exe".

[Courtesy of MS-MVP Kelly Theriot]

Alternative:

EditPad Lite is an excellent Notepad replacement.
It's a lightweight text editor, but certainly not as basic
as the standard Notepad that comes with Windows.
http://www.notepad-replacements.com/editpadlite.html

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

"Zarina" wrote:

| We no longer seem to be able to open any files in Notepad, I have tried to
| follow advice that I have found on the internet about going into msconfig and
| expanding the file but that does not seem to work. I have also done run and
| notepad and it opens. I need to be able to show my hijack file as I can't
| seem to get rid of all the rubbish off my computer. I would really
| appreciate anyones help.
|
| Zarina

Thanks for your help but I tried that and then tried to open a notepad
document and go a message saying that the file is not a valid Win32
application, any ideas?

"Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

> Visit http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm and scroll down to
> Item No. 326 (left column) and click on "Restore Notepad.exe".
>
> [Courtesy of MS-MVP Kelly Theriot]
>
> Alternative:
>
> EditPad Lite is an excellent Notepad replacement.
> It's a lightweight text editor, but certainly not as basic
> as the standard Notepad that comes with Windows.
> http://www.notepad-replacements.com/editpadlite.html
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP - Shell/User
>
> Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

> "Zarina" wrote:
>
> | We no longer seem to be able to open any files in Notepad, I have tried to
> | follow advice that I have found on the internet about going into msconfig and
> | expanding the file but that does not seem to work. I have also done run and
> | notepad and it opens. I need to be able to show my hijack file as I can't
> | seem to get rid of all the rubbish off my computer. I would really
> | appreciate anyones help.
> |
> | Zarina

Go to this folder C:\Windows\System32\dllcache
Click Tools/Folder Options Turn on show hidden files and folders.

Then turn OFF "hide protected operating system files".
This is your backup of windows system files which notepad is one of.

Find notepad.exe, right click and click copy. Next go to the shortcut for
notepad in your start menu. Right click and choose properties.

Click "find target". This will open the containing folder.
Right click in this folder and click paste. Windows will tell you the file
already exists do you want to replace it. Click yes and you have restored
notepad.

"Zarina" <Zarina@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> We no longer seem to be able to open any files in Notepad, I have tried to
> follow advice that I have found on the internet about going into msconfig
> and
> expanding the file but that does not seem to work. I have also done run
> and
> notepad and it opens. I need to be able to show my hijack file as I can't
> seem to get rid of all the rubbish off my computer. I would really
> appreciate anyones help.
>
> Zarina

Thanks for your help but I dont' have dllcachein C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32.

Have you got any other suggestions?

"Hopscotch Whiskey" wrote:

> Go to this folder C:\Windows\System32\dllcache
> Click Tools/Folder Options Turn on show hidden files and folders.
>
> Then turn OFF "hide protected operating system files".
> This is your backup of windows system files which notepad is one of.
>
> Find notepad.exe, right click and click copy. Next go to the shortcut for
> notepad in your start menu. Right click and choose properties.
>
> Click "find target". This will open the containing folder.
> Right click in this folder and click paste. Windows will tell you the file
> already exists do you want to replace it. Click yes and you have restored
> notepad.

> "Zarina" <Zarina@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > We no longer seem to be able to open any files in Notepad, I have tried to
> > follow advice that I have found on the internet about going into msconfig
> > and
> > expanding the file but that does not seem to work. I have also done run
> > and
> > notepad and it opens. I need to be able to show my hijack file as I can't
> > seem to get rid of all the rubbish off my computer. I would really
> > appreciate anyones help.
> >
> > Zarina

Sure you do...it's a hidden folder. Hopscotch Whiskey meant that you should
first show hidden files and folders, and then find the dllcache folder.
--
Ted Zieglar