saazeel

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2003
I'm looking for a motherboard for my new system. It's a P4 2.4GHz, 512MB DDRAM PC 2700, 80 GB 7200 rpm hard drive, CDRW, DVDROM, and the GeForce 4 128 MB Ti4200 8x graphics card.

Since I live in New Zealand, the latest motherboards aren't available yet. Should I go for a AGP 8x motherboard and is the P4S8x a good option? What about the VIA P4PB 400-L? What about other alternatives?

Thanks

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
P4S8X has stability problems related to the memory bus. It also has AGP8x problems, but I believe that AGP8x is simply agrivating the memory bus problem. I recommend the Gigabyte GA-8SG667 instead. It's inexpensive, uses the same chipset, and is one of the fastest DDR boards for the P4.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

Conda

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2003
Don't waste your money on the P4S8X. I am sending mine back after two weeks of trying to get it to stabilize. All it does is reboot every 5-10 minutes.

I bought it based on the reviews here, but I guess they didn't do enough research. They board is awefull.

But don't just take my word for it. Check out www.asusboards.com

DCB_AU

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2002
What ever you do, don't buy the P4S8X. I have not read one good review yet.

Instead, consider the Intel D845PE BT2. It comes with Serial ATA, etc. Very stable and it's bios has been recently upgraded- overclocking options.

Don't worry if you have PATA Drives as I'am sure it has PATA sockets also. If not you can get "HighPoint" PATA to SATA adapters.

DCB_AU