I want to purchase Windows XP Professional, but I will be buying a new
computer next year to replace this one. Am I allowed to install that copy on
the new computer? I don't want to buy the same (very expensive) software
twice to use once.

As in totaly new,then no you cant,it wont let you re-register for the
license.
If youre changing just the board,processor,tower,then you could,changing all
components would red light the process.

"I. Johnson" wrote:

> I want to purchase Windows XP Professional, but I will be buying a new
> computer next year to replace this one. Am I allowed to install that copy on
> the new computer? I don't want to buy the same (very expensive) software
> twice to use once.

Jax

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2002

Wrong. If you buy a retail version of XP, you can move it to another
machine, so long as it is removed from the other machine.

RTFM

"I. Johnson" <I. Johnson@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I want to purchase Windows XP Professional, but I will be buying a new
> computer next year to replace this one. Am I allowed to install that
> copy on the new computer? I don't want to buy the same (very
> expensive) software twice to use once.

Any purchase of WinXP can only be installed on one computer. To install
your copy on a new computer you will have to remove it from where it is
installed, install it on the new one and activate by telephone.

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
http://www.fjsmjs.com

Hi,

If you are purchasing a retail (not OEM) version of WindowsXP (Pro or Home),
then you can install it on a different machine as long as you have removed
it from the current installation. If it is more than 120 days between
activation, then you will likely be able to activate the new installation
automatically. The worst case scenario means you have to make a phone call.

Your new machine may come with WinXP already installed, most do nowadays -
unless of course you like to build your own.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"I. Johnson" <I. Johnson@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I want to purchase Windows XP Professional, but I will be buying a new
> computer next year to replace this one. Am I allowed to install that copy
> on
> the new computer? I don't want to buy the same (very expensive) software
> twice to use once.

papa

Yes, you can use it on your new computer, but you should first remove it
from your old computer. The rule is: One license for JUST ONE computer,
unless you purchase a multiple PC license.