upgrade to Windows XP from 98SE WITHOUT the original disks

I am trying to upgrade the OS from Win 98SE to Win XP Pro on a Dell
Dimension XPST800r. However I do not have the original CD-Rom for Win 98.
What is worse, I don't have the original Office 2000 CD-Rom. (Moved houses
and the Lord only knows where the CDs and all the manuals ended up! At least
the computer was found!).

Can I still do a clean install of the OS without the original info or
product key?

How can I reinstall Office if I don't have the original CDs?

I also want to use Outlook Express in the new OS. And how about other
applications which I may not have original anything? Adobe Premier, etc

Thanks for info.

The system:

Dell Dimension XPS T800r
256 RAM
30GB hard drive (with plenty of freespace)
Windows 98 SE
Office 2000
Outlook Express

You'll have to purchase both a "Full Version" of Windows XP
and Microsoft Office in your situation since you no longer have
the licenses or CDs for your missing software.

Try the following:

;326246]http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[ln];326246

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

"EdH" wrote:

| I am trying to upgrade the OS from Win 98SE to Win XP Pro on a Dell
| Dimension XPST800r. However I do not have the original CD-Rom for Win 98.
| What is worse, I don't have the original Office 2000 CD-Rom. (Moved houses
| and the Lord only knows where the CDs and all the manuals ended up! At least
| the computer was found!).
|
| Can I still do a clean install of the OS without the original info or
| product key?
|
| How can I reinstall Office if I don't have the original CDs?
|
| I also want to use Outlook Express in the new OS. And how about other
| applications which I may not have original anything? Adobe Premier, etc
|
| Thanks for info.
|
| The system:
|
| Dell Dimension XPS T800r
| 256 RAM
| 30GB hard drive (with plenty of freespace)
| Windows 98 SE
| Office 2000
| Outlook Express

You shouldn't need the Win98 CD in order to perform an 'in-place' upgrade to
XP. Office 2000 will be retained as well.
You can't do a clean install of 98 without a disk. Depending on what version
of XP (Upgrade or Full, OEM) you have will determine if you can perform a
clean install of it.

As for a reinstall of Office 2000: no CD, no reinstall.

--
James M. Fisher
MS MVP Windows Shell/User

"EdH" <EdH@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am trying to upgrade the OS from Win 98SE to Win XP Pro on a Dell
> Dimension XPST800r. However I do not have the original CD-Rom for Win 98.
> What is worse, I don't have the original Office 2000 CD-Rom. (Moved houses
> and the Lord only knows where the CDs and all the manuals ended up! At
> least
> the computer was found!).
>
> Can I still do a clean install of the OS without the original info or
> product key?
>
> How can I reinstall Office if I don't have the original CDs?
>
> I also want to use Outlook Express in the new OS. And how about other
> applications which I may not have original anything? Adobe Premier, etc
>
> Thanks for info.

If the CDs were from Dell when you bought the computer, call
Dell and they can supply replacements.