I bought a laptop w/ Win XP Pro already installed. How do I increase the
number of partitions. I understand that I'm supposed to do it through disk
management but I cannot locate it.

peter

Do a Google for BootItNG.............download the 30 day trial
read and follow the instructions.
It will and can do non destructive partition work.In order to create new
partions you will need to reduce the old partions in size and then create new
partition out of that space.
peter
"JJ-trucks" <JJ-trucks@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I bought a laptop w/ Win XP Pro already installed. How do I increase the
> number of partitions. I understand that I'm supposed to do it through disk
> management but I cannot locate it.

Hi,

Click start/run, type diskmgmt.msc and click ok.
Or, right-click "My Computer" and choose manage.

In any case, to create more volumes you need free space on the drive. I
doubt that there is any. To free up space, you will need to dynamically
resize the existing partition. This you cannot do with the drive tools
included in any version of Windows. You need third-party help.

Boot Managers and Partitioning programs:

BootIT NG www.terabyteunlimited.com
Partition Magic www.powerquest.com/partitionmagic
Partition Commander http://www.v-com.com/product/pc_ind.html
Ranish Partition Manager http://www.ranish.com/part/