A7N8X... few problems.

phr0ze

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2002
OK. WEnt in fine. But I think its a little unstable. On occasion it says 'memory test failed' (Speaks). It continues to boot with no problems. Then running stuff or doing a couple things applications in windows just die. I've sent 3 error reports already, and reinstalled windows a second time. and its only been an hour.

I have this rig
A7N8X Deluxe
AMD 2600/333 Retail (AS3)
3200 Corsair XMS 1GB (2x512mb)
ATI Radeon 9700Pro
320Gig Raid 0 (4x80 gig drives)

Bios is set with aggressive memory timings, and the ram is running at 166 with the bus. But its 3200, it should be able to handle that setting. I have ram in slot 1 and 3.

If anyone has already worked through this problem, please let me know. I have tons of cooling in my case, so I don't think thats it.

EDIT: BIOS as reported by Probe: BIOS Rev 1017 Beta 005 T9
---------------------------------------
phr0Ze

I've been hiding in the shadows @ THG since 97.
AMD1800/768MB/9700Pro/Dragon+/240GigRaid0/DoubleWide with Redundant 350watt<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by phr0ze on 01/19/03 05:27 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

chad_n

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2003
I don't trust that Lady's memory report. I disabled her. I noticed on my board (bios 1002 beta 1) that she would say memory test failed even after I let it run a memory scan (non-quick post) and the test said all is OK. Fact, she would even say it when I do a soft reboot and it didn't even run the test. My PC can run all day long and no app problems. I think that's just a buggy bios.

On the other hand you can try dropping the clock on the RAM just to prove if it is the RAM.

Also, I read on this board somewhere else that you need slots 2&3 only for the *only* possible dual channel setup. Maybe someone else can confirm this.

I've been looking at buying new ram myself and from what I've seen, only the Low Latency (LL) version is speced at 5-2-2-2 or something. The others are like 6-3-3-2... Again I'm still looking myself & I forget what aggressive sets it to.

Chad

phr0ze

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2002
Flip, I have 2 sticks of 512mb.

Chad, Thanks If you've gone through that trouble testing the memory and get the same message I do then it must be a quirk. I'll leave it be for now.

---------------------------------------
phr0Ze

I've been hiding in the shadows @ THG since 97.
AMD1800/768MB/9700Pro/Dragon+/240GigRaid0/DoubleWide with Redundant 350watt

paulj

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2001
Hey Chad,

I installed the bios 1002 beta 1 and it asked me to reboot. I rebooted and it hasn't run since. I get the failed system memory test during boot. Do you know of a way to get around this or go back to a prior bios.

<font color=red>The solution may be obvious, but I can't see it for the smoke coming off my processor.</font color=red>

chad_n

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2003
When you flashed the BIOS it should have asked you to save your existing BIOS. If you didn't then you have 2 choices

1) Ask around for someone to email you the version you had,
2) Get this one working :)

Chances are any settings you had were lost when you did the flash, double check your settings. Also, some of the names of the fields were altered a bit. Chances are there is a memory setting that wasn't where you had it in the old BIOS.

Have you gone through these already?

Chad

Vyrzeden

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2002
About the only BIOS version for this board that I haven't seen ripped to shreds is the 1001.C

If you can get ahold of this one, try it. And turn off the POST reporter, she's bad news. It may sound crazy, but I posted MUCH quicker after I turned it off.

Btw, if people have posted about the 1001.C being bad, disregard this post. I'm begining to think I got very lucky with my board.

Vyr

paulj

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2001
I guess I wasn't clear. After I get the memory failed message nothing happens. The system just stops there. I can't get to the bios to change anything.

The install of the bios indicated no problem. But when I rebooted the system stoped at the memory failed error and would go no further. Asus told me that even if the install of the bios seems to go fine you can have trouble. He likened it to brain surgery.

Is updating the bios really that dangerous?

<font color=red>The solution may be obvious, but I can't see it for the smoke coming off my processor.</font color=red>

RCPilot

Champion
I can't believe this! A stable board & BIOS flash caused this??? Boy, they have got to get this one figured out. I know it took 6 months of BOIS updates before I got my A7V to stabilize at that time. I really hope it doesn't take that long this time. I know that you were stable before this.

Can you get on another machine that has internet? If you can, use ASUS update & get the old BIOS you need to restore yourself. You can put it on a floppy with ASUS update, or update it form the net. Course that wouldn't work, unless the machine you were using had the same board, DAM.

I've told everybody that I built them for, DO NOT TOUCH THE BIOS AT ALL UNTIL I KNOW THERE IS A STABLE ONE OUT THERE. Such a crock.

I'm still learning & having fun doing it!!!!!!

chad_n

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2003
Yep I am afraid it can be. If there is a power glitch or something it can get hosed. The fact that it posts at all is a decent sign. The best would be to have compared the checksum.

You could try:

1) Clear CMOS procedure in the manual (follow completey)
2) If you have 2 memory sticks, try only 1 at a time in the slot closest to the northbridge chip (big heat sink)
3) unplug the system overnight and try again.
4) Maybe try and move the FSB frequency jumper to 200 temporarily.
5) If you can get to it, use the build in updater in the BIOS, I think it's hotkey (alt-something?) becomes active before the memory but I'm not sure. I used this method to upgrade my board. I had to try a few times before it would let me in. The BIOS contains an internal copy of awdflash.exe. Maybe you already used this...
6) The BIOS chip should be socketed. It usually can be replace with a working verison. I'm surprised ASUS tech didn't mention this possibility. I think it's about $25.

Keep me posted (bad pun)

Chad

paulj

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2001
1)I have cleared the CMOS. That didn't work.
2)I have one stick of Corsair 3200 CL2.
3)I have unplugged the system overnight. That didn't do anything.
4)I will try the fsb jumper and see if that works.
5)I can't get to the point where you normally get into the bios. I didn't know about the hotkey that gets you into the bios install.
6)Asus told me I could send them the board and they would fix it for $5 or send me a new board for $25. I expect that they would probably be much slower for either of these options than RMAing my board to my vendor. That is what I was going to do but I may try to a couple of your procedures. I hate to send boards back when there is an easy solution and not really a problem with the board.

Thanks for your help.

chad_n

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2003
I don't think they send you a board for $25 <G>. They send a chip. Here's direct from ASUS's site:
------------
The BIOS chip is dead! What to do?

To obtain a new BIOS, simply send us a letter with your name, address, and telephone number. List which BIOS you would like (and for reference, what board you have, it's revision number, and your current BIOS revision). Enclose a check made out to ASUS Technology Inc for $25USD. This will cover the cost of the BIOS chip, the flashing, and shipping via USPS Priority Mail. Credit cards are not accepted. Rush orders will reflect the difference in shipping costs. Orders from users outside of US are no longer accepted. The address is ATTN: Bios Dept., 7100 Intermodal Dr., Suite A Louisville, KY 40258, USA.

-----------

It's not hard to pluck out the bios chip and pop in a new one. There's usually a pull notch or two in the corners of the chip. Definitly should have the power completely off (unplug). You can usually make do with a tiny screwdriver if your're careful. Certainly beats ripping out and sending back a mobo. You might be able to negotiate with them if you send your chip back with the check and complain about how you think it's unfair that their buggy bios didn't update right when you didn't have any problems doing the flash itself. It's not like they're making a killing profit on the a7n8x boards while providing crappy bios :) .. Can't hurt to ask.

My system has been rock solid so far with my 'old' DDR 300 (Yes 300) memory at 133 MHZ 5-2-2-2, but I today I ordered corsair 'twin' 512MB DDR400 matched low latency sticks :) Can't wait to see how it refuses to run them and sends me though the roof!

Chad

paulj

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2001
You're probably right. The guy on the phone was kind of wierd and hard to understand. He did say something costs $5 and something costs $25.

Hope your RAM works. I have one stick of that memory without problems. Let us know how it works.

Thanks for your help.