To download onto CD

Today I tried to download a free registry diagnostic program onto CD so that
I could use it on another computer that is not connected to the Net. The
download was OK but when it came for installation it wouldn't. My Folder on
the CD is D:\My Download Files\(name of program). Looks like it will install
only on the computer but not on CD. How can I do it.
TIA

My understanding is that you would have to download the program first to
your HD then burn the resulting download to CD and do the install from
there.
Joan

Ben Stevenson wrote:
> Today I tried to download a free registry diagnostic program onto CD
> so that I could use it on another computer that is not connected to
> the Net. The download was OK but when it came for installation it
> wouldn't. My Folder on the CD is D:\My Download Files\(name of
> program). Looks like it will install only on the computer but not on
> CD. How can I do it.
> TIA

You can't install programs to CD. You have to transport that CD to the
not-connected computer and install it there.
When installing, it writes stuff to the registry, like paths etc.. so if
installed to CD, I don't know if it would work from the CD if used on
another computer anyway....

--
Tumppi
Reply to group

"Ben Stevenson" <casiopie963@hotmail.com> kirjoitti viestissä
> Today I tried to download a free registry diagnostic program onto CD so
that
> I could use it on another computer that is not connected to the Net. The
> download was OK but when it came for installation it wouldn't. My Folder
on
> the CD is D:\My Download Files\(name of program). Looks like it will
install
> only on the computer but not on CD. How can I do it.
> TIA

On Mon, 8 Nov 2004 16:13:28 +0800, "Ben Stevenson" <casiopie963@hotmail.com>
wrote:

I don't know just how stable your CD burner is, but every program I have says
to turn off everything possible when burning to a CD to avoid damaging or
interrupting the write process. ie: I suspect burning to a CD is no where near
as stable as burning to a Hard drive.
If you've had as many go bad as I have you wouldn't even run a reminder program
that polls the computer clock.
I boot with all startups off whenever I plan on making a CD or DVD. Even virus
software turned off.
There could be many reasons why you can't access the free program now.

"Ben Stevenson" <casiopie963@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Today I tried to download a free registry diagnostic program onto CD so
that
> I could use it on another computer that is not connected to the Net. The
> download was OK but when it came for installation it wouldn't. My Folder
on
> the CD is D:\My Download Files\(name of program). Looks like it will
install
> only on the computer but not on CD. How can I do it.
> TIA

You need to get your terminology straight or no one's going to know wtf
you're talking about. You apparently *downloaded* some free program from
the Internet and now you want to *install* it on another computer. Before
you can do this, you need to *copy* it to some removable medium (CD, e.g.).
You do this by burning (copying) the same file you downloaded from the
internet to the CD. Take it to computer #2 and *copy* the file from the CD
to the desktop and run the installation from there. If the CD you burn has
not been finalized, it might not be readable on the second PC.

Copy the D:\My Download Files\(name of program) to the next PC at
c:\windows\temp
Then install

"Ben Stevenson" <casiopie963@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Today I tried to download a free registry diagnostic program onto CD so
that
> I could use it on another computer that is not connected to the Net. The
> download was OK but when it came for installation it wouldn't. My Folder
on
> the CD is D:\My Download Files\(name of program). Looks like it will
install
> only on the computer but not on CD. How can I do it.
> TIA

You all need to right click on the doc then click " send to" click CD. then
down by the clock shoud apear a bubble click on it. Then left bar should
say"copy to cd then click it then you are a go.

Joey

"Ben Stevenson" wrote:

> Today I tried to download a free registry diagnostic program onto CD so that
> I could use it on another computer that is not connected to the Net. The
> download was OK but when it came for installation it wouldn't. My Folder on
> the CD is D:\My Download Files\(name of program). Looks like it will install
> only on the computer but not on CD. How can I do it.
> TIA

Thanks for your response.
Some clarifications please. I think I could download it to CD but could not
install it.
On the D: Folder there is a folder(a little greyed out) called My Download
Files. I double click on it, there's nothing inside. There's also an
icon(picture of computer) called (name of program)_setup. When I click on
Setup it says:
"The drive or UNC share you selected does not exist or is not accessible.
Please select another."
Could you please enlighten me more?
TIA

"Joan Archer" <archer_joan@NOSPAM.com> wrote in message
> My understanding is that you would have to download the program first to >
your HD then burn the resulting download to CD and do the install from
> there.
> Joan
>
> Ben Stevenson wrote:
> > Today I tried to download a free registry diagnostic program onto CD
> > so that I could use it on another computer that is not connected to
> > the Net. The download was OK but when it came for installation it
> > wouldn't. My Folder on the CD is D:\My Download Files\(name of
> > program). Looks like it will install only on the computer but not on
> > CD. How can I do it.
> > TIA

Thanks for your response.

"Thomas Wendell" <tumppiw_NOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> You can't install programs to CD. You have to transport that CD to the
> not-connected computer and install it there.

This is not clear to me. If the CD could not have the program on it, then
how to install it on the other computer?

> When installing, it writes stuff to the registry, like paths etc.. so if
> installed to CD, I don't know if it would work from the CD if used on
> another computer anyway....
>
> --
> Tumppi
> Reply to group
> Most learned on nntp://news.mircosoft.com
> Helsinki, Finland (remove _NOSPAM)
> (translations from FI/SE not always accurate)
>

> "Ben Stevenson" <casiopie963@hotmail.com> kirjoitti viestissä
> > Today I tried to download a free registry diagnostic program onto CD so
> that
> > I could use it on another computer that is not connected to the Net. The
> > download was OK but when it came for installation it wouldn't. My Folder
> on
> > the CD is D:\My Download Files\(name of program). Looks like it will
> install
> > only on the computer but not on CD. How can I do it.
> > TIA

Thanks for your response. Sorry if I could not get my terminology straight.
Its because I am a new user.

"Wislu Plethora" <wislu@plethora.com> wrote in message

> "Ben Stevenson" <casiopie963@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Today I tried to download a free registry diagnostic program onto CD so
> that
> > I could use it on another computer that is not connected to the Net. The
> > download was OK but when it came for installation it wouldn't. My Folder
> on
> > the CD is D:\My Download Files\(name of program). Looks like it will
> install
> > only on the computer but not on CD. How can I do it.
> > TIA
> >

> You need to get your terminology straight or no one's going to know wtf
> you're talking about. You apparently *downloaded* some free program from
> the Internet and now you want to *install* it on another computer.

No. I tried to download it direct to the CD, but it looks like that cannot
be done. Somehow I want to have it on the CD so I can take it to my other
not-connected computer in the same house and use it there too. Perhaps you
can tell me the best way to go about it.

>Before you can do this, you need to *copy* it to some removable medium
(CD, e.g.).
> You do this by burning (copying) the same file you downloaded from the
> internet to the CD. Take it to computer #2 and *copy* the file from the
CD
> to the desktop and run the installation from there. If the CD you burn has
> not been finalized, it might not be readable on the second PC.

Sorry again that my knowledge is not so good. What does it mean that the CD
has to be finalized?
Thanks

My problem is that I can't get it to the CD. Perhaps you can give me the
procedure on how to do that.
Thanks

<CajunClickers@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Copy the D:\My Download Files\(name of program) to the next PC at
> c:\windows\temp
> Then install
>

> "Ben Stevenson" <casiopie963@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Today I tried to download a free registry diagnostic program onto CD so
> that
> > I could use it on another computer that is not connected to the Net. The
> > download was OK but when it came for installation it wouldn't. My Folder
> on
> > the CD is D:\My Download Files\(name of program). Looks like it will
> install
> > only on the computer but not on CD. How can I do it.
> > TIA

Thanks for your response. Your explanation looks good. But I need to
understand a little more. What you mean is:
1. Download and install to my connected PC Hard Disk.
2. Right click on the Docs. and send to CD.
3. Look in the Systems Tray near the clock for the 'bubble"? and click on
it.
4. At Left Bar? copy to CD.
5. Take the CD to my un-connected computer and use it there? or will I have
to install it there too?

Correct? The ones with the ? mark I just need your explanation a little
more.
Thanks

On Tue, 9 Nov 2004 12:29:41 +0800, Ben Stevenson wrote:

> 5. Take the CD to my un-connected computer and use it there? or will I have
> to install it there too?

Ben, it sounds like this program needs to be installed locally - on the
hard drive of the computer(s) it will be used with.

There are a handful of "free standing" applications that will run from
removable media but if this is the case it is usually made quite clear in
the install directions that can be found at the download site.

For most programs, you download the setup file to the hard drive. If you
want the program installed on that computer, just run the setup file. If
you want it installed on other computers, copy the downloaded setup file to
a CD. Take it to the other PC and run that setup file again.

XP has basic CD burning capabilities. You can learn more about how to use
that feature in Help and Support. Also a good article can be found here:
http://www.aumha.org/win5/a/xpcd.htm

Some computers and some burners come with additional burning programs that
usually have more features. Check the program's installed on your computer
to see if it has one of these. Use the program's help file to get started
with burning files.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows XP Shell/User

WRONG

Download and burn download to CD. Copy to other machine and install on other machines.

http://www.uscricket.com
"Ben Stevenson" <casiopie963@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:Oe9YPShxEHA.1196@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> Thanks for your response. Your explanation looks good. But I need to
> understand a little more. What you mean is:
> 1. Download and install to my connected PC Hard Disk.
> 2. Right click on the Docs. and send to CD.
> 3. Look in the Systems Tray near the clock for the 'bubble"? and click on
> it.
> 4. At Left Bar? copy to CD.
> 5. Take the CD to my un-connected computer and use it there? or will I have
> to install it there too?
>
> Correct? The ones with the ? mark I just need your explanation a little
> more.
> Thanks
>
> "mini ha ha" <minihaha@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> You all need to right click on the doc then click " send to" click CD.
> then
>> down by the clock shoud apear a bubble click on it. Then left bar should
>> say"copy to cd then click it then you are a go.
>>
>> Joey
>>
>> "Ben Stevenson" wrote:
>>
>> > Today I tried to download a free registry diagnostic program onto CD so
> that
>> > I could use it on another computer that is not connected to the Net. The
>> > download was OK but when it came for installation it wouldn't. My Folder
> on
>> > the CD is D:\My Download Files\(name of program). Looks like it will
> install
>> > only on the computer but not on CD. How can I do it.
>> > TIA

Any way for me to just use it on the other machine without installing it
there?

"David Candy" <.> wrote in message
WRONG

Download and burn download to CD. Copy to other machine and install on other
machines.

http://www.uscricket.com
"Ben Stevenson" <casiopie963@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Thanks for your response. Your explanation looks good. But I need to
> understand a little more. What you mean is:
> 1. Download and install to my connected PC Hard Disk.
> 2. Right click on the Docs. and send to CD.
> 3. Look in the Systems Tray near the clock for the 'bubble"? and click on
> it.
> 4. At Left Bar? copy to CD.
> 5. Take the CD to my un-connected computer and use it there? or will I
have
> to install it there too?
>
> Correct? The ones with the ? mark I just need your explanation a little
> more.
> Thanks
>
> "mini ha ha" <minihaha@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> You all need to right click on the doc then click " send to" click CD.
> then
>> down by the clock shoud apear a bubble click on it. Then left bar should
>> say"copy to cd then click it then you are a go.
>>
>> Joey
>>
>> "Ben Stevenson" wrote:
>>
>> > Today I tried to download a free registry diagnostic program onto CD so
> that
>> > I could use it on another computer that is not connected to the Net.
The
>> > download was OK but when it came for installation it wouldn't. My
Folder
> on
>> > the CD is D:\My Download Files\(name of program). Looks like it will
> install
>> > only on the computer but not on CD. How can I do it.
>> > TIA

How would I know? I have no idea what program you are talking about. If it's notepad then no probs.

http://www.uscricket.com
"Ben Stevenson" <casiopie963@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:u7aLTdnxEHA.260@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
> Any way for me to just use it on the other machine without installing it
> there?
>
> "David Candy" <.> wrote in message
> WRONG
>
> Download and burn download to CD. Copy to other machine and install on other
> machines.

> http://www.uscricket.com
> "Ben Stevenson" <casiopie963@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Thanks for your response. Your explanation looks good. But I need to
>> understand a little more. What you mean is:
>> 1. Download and install to my connected PC Hard Disk.
>> 2. Right click on the Docs. and send to CD.
>> 3. Look in the Systems Tray near the clock for the 'bubble"? and click on
>> it.
>> 4. At Left Bar? copy to CD.
>> 5. Take the CD to my un-connected computer and use it there? or will I
> have
>> to install it there too?
>>
>> Correct? The ones with the ? mark I just need your explanation a little
>> more.
>> Thanks
>>
>> "mini ha ha" <minihaha@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>> You all need to right click on the doc then click " send to" click CD.
>> then
>>> down by the clock shoud apear a bubble click on it. Then left bar should
>>> say"copy to cd then click it then you are a go.
>>>
>>> Joey

>> that
> The
> Folder
>> on
>> install

I have a number of programs in mind that I would like to keep on CD and use
on my other un-connected computer. Because that computer doesn't run such
programs well due to the various corruptions in it. In this case the program
I am trying to place on the CD is "jv16" the Registry Cleaner.
I think there is something similar going on where such programs can be kept
on CD. One example is:
" Ultimate Boot CD v2.4
Run diagnostics from a CD, not from your ailing hard drive."

Would I be able to achieve my purpose?
Thanks

How would I know? I have no idea what program you are talking about. If it's
notepad then no probs.

http://www.uscricket.com
"Ben Stevenson" <casiopie963@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Any way for me to just use it on the other machine without installing it
> there?
>
> "David Candy" <.> wrote in message
> WRONG
>
> Download and burn download to CD. Copy to other machine and install on
other
> machines.

> http://www.uscricket.com
> "Ben Stevenson" <casiopie963@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Thanks for your response. Your explanation looks good. But I need to
>> understand a little more. What you mean is:
>> 1. Download and install to my connected PC Hard Disk.
>> 2. Right click on the Docs. and send to CD.
>> 3. Look in the Systems Tray near the clock for the 'bubble"? and click on
>> it.
>> 4. At Left Bar? copy to CD.
>> 5. Take the CD to my un-connected computer and use it there? or will I
> have
>> to install it there too?
>>
>> Correct? The ones with the ? mark I just need your explanation a little
>> more.
>> Thanks
>>
>> "mini ha ha" <minihaha@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>> You all need to right click on the doc then click " send to" click CD.
>> then
>>> down by the clock shoud apear a bubble click on it. Then left bar should
>>> say"copy to cd then click it then you are a go.
>>>
>>> Joey

>> that
> The
> Folder
>> on
>> install

am technoigno, I have xp pro, but am a writer and need to make a copy on disc
in case computer goes. hi tryed dics d but nothing happened.