Do I need to reinstall??

Nish

Distinguished
May 18, 2004

My computer had a power surge and I had to have it checked out by a computer
store, they had to change the motherboard,cpu memory and graphics card. They
said that I would have to re-install XP on to the computer again (I didn't
send them the hard drives because they said they didn't need them). Will I
have to reinstall or will connecting up my harddrives again work. If I do
have to reinstall will I loose all of my data on the harddrives??? Please can
someone help..

You will have to do a repair-install. Boot from the XP CD, choose install,
it will find the installed XP version, then choose repair this
installation...

You will have to do a full update ( v5.windowsupdate.microsoft.com ) and
also re-activate your XP.

--
Tumppi
Reply to group

"Nish" <Nish@discussions.microsoft.com> kirjoitti viestissä
> My computer had a power surge and I had to have it checked out by a
computer
> store, they had to change the motherboard,cpu memory and graphics card.
They
> said that I would have to re-install XP on to the computer again (I didn't
> send them the hard drives because they said they didn't need them). Will I
> have to reinstall or will connecting up my harddrives again work. If I do
> have to reinstall will I loose all of my data on the harddrives??? Please
can
> someone help..

If a power surge did the listed damage, then first fix the
reason for that failure - a power supply that was defective
when purchased. Many buy clone computers to save money. IOW
the computer is missing essential functions. To have your
'surge' damage, the power supply was missing functions that
were defacto standard even 30 years ago.

That same problem may have also damaged disk drive
electronics.

Furthermore, your computer repair shop should have
recognized the problem immediately. Unfortunately, too many
computer repairmen don't even have fundamental electrical
knowledge - such as what that missing PSU function is or what
it does.

Get a power supply that specifically provides a long
(written) list of specifications. 'No specs' is how inferior
supplies are dumped into N America and sold to the ignorant.
Power supply must meet Intel specs - and say so in writing.
Many clone computer power supplies sell for less than $65
retail by simply forgetting to include those essential
functions.