Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Best FPS PC Games

Last response: in Video Games
July 23, 2008 6:58:00 PM

Hey i just wanted to know the best overall FPS pc games ever. IF everyone could post up the games it would be nice for everyone to know.

More about : fps games

July 24, 2008 3:38:57 PM

Well I used to play competitively, so some of the games that I list may vary in comparison to alot of other peoples opinions, but here we go:

In random order...

Wolfenstein 3D
Duke Nukem 3D
DooM
Quake
Quake 3 Arena (compeitive impact)
UT99
UT2K4 (compeitive impact)
Half Life Series
Counter Strike
Team Fortress Classic
Day of Defeat
Call of Duty 4
Battlefield 1942 w/ Dessert Combat Mod
Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six

Normally I wouldnt put multiple games in a single series on the list (usually just the best of the series imo), but Q3 and UT2K4 were what I played in competitions and the originals are the reasons as to why I started like those types of games. The Half Life series just flat out deserves it.

The way I chose most of the games I did was either the impact that they had on the genre (or sub-genres within the FPS genre in general) and then just overall enjoyment that I personally had with them as well as noticed that my friends/others had as well.

I am currently playing warsow. I cant put it on the list as I have only been playing it for alittle over a month now, but I cant pull myself away from it. I think that if it were to ever get big enough to make it into the large competitive scene I may actually get envolved again. It trully has that much potential imo.

Will add more if anything else comes to mind.

Best,

3Ball
July 25, 2008 1:55:35 PM

^ agree with above list. My additions (in escalating order) are Farcry, Crysis and F.E.A.R.
Related resources
July 25, 2008 2:41:58 PM

Yeah quake 3 probs one of the best, especially with Pro mod/ CPMA whatever you wana call it.
July 25, 2008 2:44:23 PM

mrplow99 said:
Yeah quake 3 probs one of the best, especially with Pro mod/ CPMA whatever you wana call it.

Yea I hope that in some way they impliment CPMA into Quake Live.

Best,

3Ball
July 25, 2008 3:01:22 PM

Well, I never played ccompetitively and generally go for FPS titles that offer up innovative gameplay and fun stories. So I would list the Thief games, the first two No One Lives Forever games, HL2, Jedi Knight and Clive Barker's Undying.
July 25, 2008 3:28:39 PM

To add to the list:

Return to Castle Wolfenstein
Enemy Territory
Quake 2 (I liked this a lot more than 3)
July 27, 2008 10:40:25 AM

My opinion?

All UT games. (a better quake version?)
Crysis (pretty good for kids :p )
Fear (if you are not homo)
Rainbow six (a bit realistic in dificulty, typical tom clancy work..)
GHost recon(again?)
Lost Planet (Actually is 3rd person shooting)
Quake 2 rulz (way better than the 3rd)
Shogo mobile armour division (way better than half-life.. even in graphics and i am talking about half life 1)
call of duty 1 (best version from 1 until 3)
call of duty 4 (graphics are better only)

Just to add .. starcraft ghost.. but it never came out.

Worms Armageddon rulz .. lol
Anonymous
August 23, 2008 11:30:34 AM

q4 is nice to guys
Anonymous
August 23, 2008 11:31:06 AM

gears of war tabula rasa to
March 20, 2009 6:05:56 PM

Best FPS of 2000 so far:

Stalker- Shadows of Chernobyl

- Once you patch this bad boy and get a weight mod increase, it's far and away the best FPS shooter in existence.
I am american, 35, have gamed since games existed..literally. It has no equal.

The best part for me is that after completing it the first time with patch only, I played it heavily modded and enjoyed it all over again. A year later, I'm getting the latest of two conversion mods, and am enjoying it yet again.
Why so fun?

- story + open content = best of both worlds (do not think fallout3, this makes fallout3 look like the sad platform ghost town, horrible combat game it is)
- getting a gun is COOL, scoping it is COOL, different ammo loadouts, the sounds...head shots, night vision - it's the real deal.
- The radiation/artifact elements make it eerie and immersive.
- the levels are absurdly realistic IMO, I've seen photos of the ferris wheel near Chernobyl, I swear I've been there in stalker.
- fighting is fun. getting loot to sell is fun. That is the clincher...the key aspect of the game is just plain fun to engage in.
- there are real reasons to use AR vs sniper vs shotgun, nade launcher, etc...and there are many types of each
- the mods make the game almost like an expansion pack...for free.
- AI is nice. Opponents hide, crouch, come around corners, and otherwise don't funnel into a death zone to be nuked to death like lemmings. (Clear sky does have some grenade-fetish but it rarely killed me)

Stalker - Clear Sky is the second best FPS out there (Expansion for Stalker SOC kind of). Although it is still new and doesn't have total conversion mods yet, it was also a lot of fun.

I'd say COD4 is the best multiplayer hands-down, but the single player game was absurd.
Crysis wasn't bad, but it's about 60% of what Stalker is. And everything that makes Crysis good, Stalker does better IMO, and a lot more of it.
FEAR is a clumsy console-feeling game next to stalker, no comparison.
All of the "Squad based" FPS are neat, but nowhere near as thrilling as open/creepy yet oddly realistic feeling that Stalker brings. I play them all quakes, dooms, crysis, ever since wolfenstein, and Stalker is the king so far.

Stalker at release was so buggy it was a joke, same with Clear Sky I hear. I just got both after they were well patched and never once thought they were anything other than landmark achievements in Ukrainian freedom, as yet untainted by corporate mass-market crap games.
March 20, 2009 11:29:36 PM

Nice 7 month bump there.
Anonymous
April 1, 2009 6:06:13 AM

Couldn't agree with you more. I am a 52 year old south African and have been playing FPS games since the very first Wolfenstein came on the scene. I've played every possible shooter out there over the years. There are lots of good ones.
I particularly enjoyed the Alien vs Predator games, Soldier of Fortune II, Call of Duty 4 : Modern Warfare, Far Cry, Crysis etc. My favourites are Doom I, II and II (of course) and Quake I, II and IV. But I must say that none of these games made such an impact on me as S.T.Al.L.K.E.R - Shadow of Chernobyl and Clear Sky.
All the things you stated are 100% correct. The atmosphere of the game is unbelieveable! The devastated areas, the eerieness of some areas, especially the underground areas, the radiation that you need to avoid, the opiness of the game etc. You just get so involved in the whole game, in all the aspects of gameplay, like trading, exploring, doing side missions etc, and then of course playing the actual storyline till the end. Great game.
Yes, it does have some problems and bugs, but if you can get over that, what a game. The biggest pain in the game itself is the weight limitation and you therefore constantly need to decide what you are going to pick up and what you are going to leave behind. Great stuff.
The only problem for me was that after I've played this game, the others seemed so dull and plain and simple, that it really took me a while to get into some of them. I am playing Crysis - Warhead, Far Cry 2 and Dead Space now. I really hope there is going to be another followup or expansion!
April 1, 2009 11:14:28 AM

Interesting...i lost interest in Stalker about halfway through and havent touched it for some months now. Might have to try and get back into it..
April 1, 2009 6:07:40 PM

Wolf3D
R6 Rogue Spear
Doom
Quake2
Duke Nukem 3D
STALKER SOC - Truly one of the greatest
BF1942
Starsiege Tribes
LEFT 4 DEAD!!!

With stalker, you can't walk away imo. I did that for a few months and came back to "wtf? where am I and what am I doing".
April 3, 2009 5:03:51 PM

I've played a lot of FPS games since the first Wolfenstein in 1992.
I'll skip over the titles that everyone knows and will mention one unique and maybe less known first person shooter game that I really enjoyed: "Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth". This game is a "must" for any first-person shooter gamer who likes survival horror genre! ;) 

Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth (made by Bethesda during the same years when they were working on The Elder Scrolls 3: Oblivion)

+ survival horror with a nice story (player's character is a private detective)

+ sometimes you are roaming or skulking in almost complete isolation, trying to survive and stay sane; sometimes you are involved in "mass scale" intense "Call of Duty"-like gunfights or action scenarios (San Fransisco police storm a mansion, FBI forces raid a factory, the army storms some occultist mansion, a battleship and its crew defend against an attack at sea).

+ some scenes during the gameplay you'll never forget (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OrddtGDC6hc&feature=related) <- watch 06:20 - 8:00 :ouch: 

+ going insane when looking at gory or scary things, getting hurt or running out of bullets (blurry vision, hallucinations, shakes, character starting speaking to himself and he can even commit suicide if insanity gets to extreme)

+ somewhat realistic injury system (for example, if you get shot in the leg, you start to limp, if you fall and break your leg, you start to limp in a different way, then you need to pull out a medikit and use it, which takes 5-6 seconds)

+ some very exciting chase scenarios, somewhat like in "Call of Duty" or "Thief" games (an escape from a town on a truck or a scene in which angry mob storm a hotel where your character was spending his night and you must escape from them without any weapon through the town, bolting doors, pushing furniture, dodging bullets, hiding in shadows)

April 6, 2009 6:32:52 AM

add to the list..

America's Army Online
April 6, 2009 2:05:05 PM

I was surprised to see a mention of Shogo: MAD, that game was really fun on multi player. I was a little disappointed it took awhile for someone to mention the Aliens Vs Predator series. Unfortunately the multi player servers were taken down, essentially ending its existence. But the memories will remain, many good times down that path.

Also, for a good laugh, try and get Blood 2: The Chosen :) 

April 6, 2009 7:26:49 PM

Alien vs Predator 2 servers are down permanently? :( 
April 7, 2009 4:45:15 PM

I like these:
CoD4
CoD WaW
Crysis (graphics)
Counter strike
Gears of War

What totally SUCKS: FAR CRY 2. Don't buy it ever.
April 7, 2009 7:07:37 PM

Alien Vs Predator 1 - I remember playing that for ages back in the day, it was the first game that I played that put a hurting on my 3DFX Voodoo 1 and I was forced to play the game at lower settings to get a smooth frame rate.

No love for Star Wars games around here? Dark Forces 1 & 2, Jedi Knight series? Shame.
April 13, 2009 6:54:23 PM

don't forget Serious Sam 1&2 and Max Payne 1&2
April 29, 2009 4:58:23 PM

counter strike and left for dead and also there a fps that will be released for southeast Asians but i forgot the name its kind a look like a gundam something like robotics in features.. well an way thats all ...
May 1, 2009 10:53:50 AM

I always though BF2 was good too. I liked far cry 2, cs 1.6 and crysis/warhead and turok
May 6, 2009 12:22:03 AM

3Ball said:
Well I used to play competitively, so some of the games that I list may vary in comparison to alot of other peoples opinions, but here we go:

In random order...

Wolfenstein 3D
Duke Nukem 3D
DooM
Quake
Quake 3 Arena (compeitive impact)
UT99
UT2K4 (compeitive impact)
Half Life Series
Counter Strike
Team Fortress Classic
Day of Defeat
Call of Duty 4
Battlefield 1942 w/ Dessert Combat Mod
Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six

Normally I wouldnt put multiple games in a single series on the list (usually just the best of the series imo), but Q3 and UT2K4 were what I played in competitions and the originals are the reasons as to why I started like those types of games. The Half Life series just flat out deserves it.

The way I chose most of the games I did was either the impact that they had on the genre (or sub-genres within the FPS genre in general) and then just overall enjoyment that I personally had with them as well as noticed that my friends/others had as well.

I am currently playing warsow. I cant put it on the list as I have only been playing it for alittle over a month now, but I cant pull myself away from it. I think that if it were to ever get big enough to make it into the large competitive scene I may actually get envolved again. It trully has that much potential imo.

Will add more if anything else comes to mind.

Best,

3Ball

May 6, 2009 12:49:14 AM

ridinondub247 said:
Hey i just wanted to know the best overall FPS pc games ever. IF everyone could post up the games it would be nice for everyone to know.

OK-I love FPS games and I will be 60 in June! I know I should be watching This Old House or maybe some old movies with Dean Martin in them but no, damnit, life is way too short to not learn to play some of these incredible works of art. The game makers, especially the high action game makers are some of the most highly artistic people in the world. If you have never played one of these newer games, you are really missing out big time. They are so much fun to play and they have some great puzzles to keep the mind working overtime to figure out the next move.

I have been playing FPS, or Forst Person Shooter games for about 4 years now and I am completely hooked. I will give you my opinion on the best games as well as the best place to buy them.-I have to say that without a doubt, and it's really a well known fact that amoung the FPS games, none is better than Half Life 2-It's way beyong the others in the graphics, storytelling and just pure fun. We like to rate ganes as to their replay ability. In other worlds, how certain are you that you liked the game enough to play it again. That's the mark of a good game. That's the difference between a good game and a great game.-Here is my top 5 games. These are all single player as thats all I play.

1. Half Life 2
2.Fear 1
3. Halo 1
4.Max Payne 1
5. Max Payne 2
6. Alpha Prime
7.Deux Ex
8. Call Of Duty-all
9. Doom 3
10.This one will surprise you-it did me--Call Of Juarez

If you have not yet played Call, yoy should. This is a western game that has as much great fighting action as Call Of Duty! Only difference is the weapon types but the action is non stop, the story id fantastic, the whole look of this game is simply amazing. It's all outdoors and the waterfalls and rivers and mountains are done so good it looks like you can just reach out and touch them. The voice acting is great and the graphics as well as the physics puzzles are as good as Half Life 2! In fact, this game is real long like HL2 and it is a beautiful display of many hours of work putting it together.Now, for those that are kind of new to the new games and the best way to get involved, I too had no idea on what was good or bad and where to get them.

So,if you like FPS games and don't feel like spending tons of money every month on new games, you should try mods. Mod is short for modification.

May 7, 2009 12:14:05 PM

Doom ....(All of them)
Quake ...( Same but Quake 2 for me because of the railgun)
Fear
FarCry
Duke Nukem ( Whatever happen to Duke Forever?) Still Vaporware
Time Shift... (Well I like it)
Half Life 1 & 2 plus episodes
Return to Castle Wolfenstein
Unreal Tournament 1, 2004, and UT3
Call Of Duty (All of them)

I really tried hard to love Quake 3 but the railgun wasn't the same and the rocket launcher sounded like a big pop gun. I liked the increase in game speed but not the weapons as much as Quake 2. In Quake 3 they should have come out with new weapons. And I have yet to play a multiplayer game as insane a Chaos Deathmatch for Quake 2. Hands down my most favorite deathmatch mod EVER.

May 7, 2009 9:14:55 PM

Are we on a time frame here?

because I didn't see anyone mention: No One Lives Forever 1 & 2, from 2000 and 2002 respectively.

If you didn't play them, do it. The sheer innovation and awesomeness will make you forget the old graphics. Even though I enjoy them. It's a nostalgia thing ;) 

Seriously, NOLF 1 & 2. Go get'em now.
May 7, 2009 9:28:42 PM

Deus Ex and Half Life 2 are IMO the greatest shooters of all time - they were the DNA that all games to present have been built on.
Anonymous
May 9, 2009 3:21:28 PM

I agree with those guys above ... whu say S.T.A.L.K.E.R is the best >>>

Most of my friends didnt like it .... most of them love Racing ... or maybe they were just too stupid to play it ....
anyways >>> the eerie dark rainy atmosphere is the best i have ever seen ... it makes you feel it is raining even when it is hot outside :D  ...
The underground parts , radioactivity theme .... and a lot make it a true Gem in Gaming .....
Other games i truly liked would be .....

ALONE IN THE DARK 5 .... Really tense game .. You will get a terrible spine chill >> just to get your car started when those weird things are right outside your windowpane.Man sometimes really scary !

F.E.A.R 2 Project Origin : I played the older ones ... but the new one is the one which shocked me truly ..... for me >> truly the best horrifying scariest experience ever .... good graphics >>> really great sound .... and one of a kind shooting experience .... and one turn off >>> i couldnt play the game alone at night ... too damn scary !

CALL OF DUTY 4 : Battleground .... this thing totally the best of War experience ive ever had !

SPLINTER CELL Double Agent : Loved the game a lot .... completed it a lot of times ... one turn on is its difficulty sometimes .... I love hard to play games ... really movie style good storyline action game ! King of STEALTH Games !

some people might disagree with my listing of Alone in the Dark or SPLINTER CELL .... but truly they are a one of kind .... not first person shooters >>> and secondly First persons are really enjoyable when they are Survival Horror ...

DO NOT PLAY THESE EVER ...EVER :

CRYSIS Warhead ... OR (shithead)

BLACKSITE AREA 51 ... (WTF ? Midway is going to have an Alien attack soon in their studio )

HELLGATE ... The Best of the Worst RPG's ever >>>dont even go near it ... cause youll feel like hanging yourself ... for the biggest mistake youve done !! : BUYING THE FU%$ING GAME

PAINKILLER OVERDOSE ... Arhggghh ... i wasted my money *** ... better if i could buy some Painkillers before playing this game :D 

THAT ALL : And dont forger S.T.A.L.K.E.R .. 1 & 2

May 11, 2009 4:31:18 PM

Quote:

DO NOT PLAY THESE EVER ...EVER :

HELLGATE ... The Best of the Worst RPG's ever >>>dont even go near it ... cause youll feel like hanging yourself ... for the biggest mistake youve done !! : BUYING THE FU%$ING GAME

This is how I felt for a long time. Seeing how you classified this as a FPS (which it kind of is to a certain degree) I'm assuming you went on the marksman track (I believe that would give you the sniper person or the engineer). I did too and found the game to be a really crappy FPS. A year and half+ later though I re-installed the game and re-rolled a evoker. I don't know how/why but everytime I play I have a blast. Almost to the point I look forward to playing. Unfortunately because of finals coming around the bend I haven't touched it in a week or two, but it will make a nice 'treat' once I'm finished (seeing how I'm doing pretty good.)

Give it one more try without playing the shooter type classes, you might recover what you thought was wasted money.
May 11, 2009 10:49:28 PM

Crysis warhead was great...
May 17, 2009 2:48:36 PM

rainbow six raven shield
rainbow six raven shield
rainbow six raven shield
rainbow six raven shield
rainbow six raven shield
rainbow six raven shield
rainbow six raven shield
rainbow six raven shield
rainbow six raven shield
rainbow six raven shield
rainbow six raven shield
rainbow six raven shield

nothing is realistic up to date almost 7 years after rvs release.

peoples need to come back to this game it almost dying

and it still the best realistic adult game.
May 18, 2009 4:44:57 AM

Crysis Warhead is great . Way too short though. At the end I get a new weapon that really brought the big boys down fast I'm thinking it's time to go back into the sphere for some payback and the game is over.
May 18, 2009 7:20:28 PM

StarSiege Tribes (my utter most favorite, I miss it)
-Anni Mod

Duke Nukem 3D
Quake I, II
Far Cry,
HL, HL2
CounterStrike (before it became HackerStrike)
Rainbow Six
Left 4 Dead
Battlefield 1942 Desert Combat Mod
June 27, 2009 3:24:36 AM

My personal all-time favorite First Person Shooter (fps) would have to be:

"Deus Ex" - one of the true originals.

A second would be "System Shock II."

Thirdly, would be "No One Lives Forever II" (Ms. Bond shows James how it's done).

Fourthly, "Half-Life I."

Fifthly, "Doom 2."

My one unfinished and quickly deleted game..."Far Cry 2." A shame really, part 1 was enjoyable.
June 27, 2009 8:24:44 PM

I'd still go for half-life and cs...
June 28, 2009 1:18:44 PM

well for me left 4 dead, counter strike, and exteel!!

loooooooooooooooooool ^^
June 30, 2009 6:27:08 PM

grlnxtdoor said:
well for me left 4 dead, counter strike, and exteel!!

loooooooooooooooooool ^^

Yeah.. I agree. Left4dead rocks also.
July 5, 2009 5:35:38 PM

lol honestly im always got thrilled and sometimes i dont want to comtinue to play that, sometimes i feel creepy ~

actually it totally rocks ^^
July 6, 2009 8:50:54 PM

hehehe.. it is a creepy game... nice feel if you play it alone at night. lol
July 9, 2009 7:14:30 PM

it sounds funny even though im still continuing and play this one right after playing atlantica...

playing exteel atm ^^,

this one is also fps...
October 7, 2009 12:16:34 AM

I am 45 and love FPS games. I built this computer to play them. My favs are:

Rainbow 6 ALL
COD4 MW
Far Cry
BattleField 2
Crysis
Starsiege Tribes

My system:

Asus P6T Deluxe
Intel I7 920
6 Gig Corsair Dominator
Ultra 120 Extreme
Haf 932
GTX 295
Onkyo 1000W 7.1
SamSung 24" hd Monitor running @ 1920X1200

Can't wait for MW2 in November and then BF3 YEAH!!!!
October 7, 2009 3:51:25 AM

Can't wait for MW2 in November and then BF3 YEAH!!!!
This is gonna be epic!!!!!!
I love FPS!!!!!
Hope my system can handle it!!!!!!

I play BF2 most I hope my system will handle BF3!!!!!
October 7, 2009 2:45:52 PM

I can't wait for Alien Vs Predator 3. Never had more fun with a FPS then the AvP series.
October 7, 2009 3:52:14 PM

bad company (hurry up with bc2 already)
killing floor
cod waw
October 10, 2009 1:17:47 AM

counter-strike 1.5/1.6 is EASILY the best FPS ever to live. it's has been more successful than any other FPS out there for a while. it's 10 years old and STILL stronger than most FPS games out today. the game play is what attracts everybody. yes the graphics are horrible, but who cares? there is STILL no FPS out there to match the gameplay of counterstrike. COD4 was a great game, amazing graphics, but game play is horrible.
October 10, 2009 5:19:38 PM

if you like online fps you should try team fortress 2. And if you like hackers and cheaters you should try counter strike. For single player i love medal of honor, brothers in arms, max payne 2
October 11, 2009 12:04:47 AM

the only people who seem to worry about cheaters and have to deal with them are people who play pubs or don't go to lans..
November 24, 2009 4:04:08 PM

well here r few of my favorites (in chronological order ):
DUKE NUKEM 3d ( it was way batter than quake , adult contents besides ;)  )

quake 2 ( cooool , it was a good shooter, i specially liked the no amunition pistol)

half life one ( as innovative as u could ever get)

undying ( understated , yet one of the best ever)

quake3,ut

cod2 (wasn't much squad based unlike other cod titles later on )

doom3 , quake 4( id3 engine was cool, doom3 woudl sure make u jumpy )

cod3

half life 2 ( BEST FPS EVER)

stalker ( if u dont play it right, u will soon loose interest )

far cry ( FRY CRY 2 IS PATHETIC DONT EVER BUY IT)

FEAR ( the game is fun, combat is thrilling , but yeah its not an horror game as advertised )

cod 4

crysis warhead (u will love 'pscycho' as opposed to pathetic 'nomad' of crysis )

call of juarez 2 ( second best innovative fps ever after half life, though its short but its whole new combat system, A MUST HAVE FOR ANY FPS LOVER )

COD5,6

!