a7n8x and other questions

onedeadhero

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2003
I recently got all my new hardware and I'm having some major problems. I am using a thermal compound, I left the jumpers on their defaults because I read the manual and none of the options they went to adversly affect me. Now when I go to boot and such my system will just power down. I went into the BIOS and my cpu temperature said it was in excess of 90 degrees celsius yet at one point I was able to get into Windows and run & install Asus Probe and it read the CPU temp as roughly 30 degrees celsius.

So all in all, I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.

Oh and one more thing, the fan on top of the heatsink, which way is the air supposed to blow? Down on to the heat sink or off the heat sink so the warm air gets blown out through the exhaust fan?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

eternalseven

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2002
The fan blows down on top of the heatsink, the only purpose for it is to ensure airflow on the heatsink, the warm air gets blown out through the heatsink as new air comes in through the fan.

I can't answer the questions in regards to the discrepancy in temperature readings. Someone else take that.

~ Eternal Seven

KWPLunchbox

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2003
I would reseat your heatsink to be safe. There might be a hair or speck of something that is keeping the heatsink from making full contact with the core. Take the heatsink off, clean the core and heatsink surface with alcohol and q-tips to remove the thermal compound and impurities. Apply new compound and put the heatsink back on.

BTW, some of the A7N8X bios versions report higher temps than they actually are. I would update your bios as well.

<font color=purple> You know its bad when license plate letters all look like file extensions </font color=purple>