Save search results -- Windows Explorer

Hello, all. Is there a way to save the search *results* from Windows
Explorer to a file in WinXP Pro SP2? I think there's a way to save the
search query; I need the results and the filenames/paths that it found.
Thanks.
2 answers Last reply
More about save search results windows explorer

    dw wrote:
    > Hello, all. Is there a way to save the search *results* from Windows
    > Explorer to a file in WinXP Pro SP2? I think there's a way to save the
    > search query; I need the results and the filenames/paths that it found.
    > Thanks.

    Hi;

    Don't know of a way to save the full results (size, date, etc.) but you can
    save the path/name results of the Search by installing the MS Powertoy
    SendToX. If you don't already have it installed, you can grab it from here:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows95/downloads/contents/WUToys/W95PwrToysSet/Default.asp
    I'm afraid you will have to download the whole PowerToy set, but all you
    want right now is to install the SendtoX one.

    If you are not familiar with these PowerToys, I strongly recommend you read
    the cautions and information MS MVP Jim Eshelman has made available on this
    page: http://aumha.org/a/powertoy.htm

    Now then, once you have SendToX installed, run your Search. Then from the
    Edit pulldown menu click Select All; next move your mouse cursor to where it
    hovers over the highlighted list of file names and right-click; select Send
    To... and then select Clipboard as Name. You can then open your favorite
    text editor (Notepad, for example) and paste the list of files into that
    document.

    --

    ....Sky

    ================

    Thanks, Sky :)

    "Sky King" <skyking@mvps.org> wrote in message
    > dw wrote:
    >> Hello, all. Is there a way to save the search *results* from Windows
    >> Explorer to a file in WinXP Pro SP2? I think there's a way to save the
    >> search query; I need the results and the filenames/paths that it found.
    >> Thanks.
    >
    > Hi;
    >
    > Don't know of a way to save the full results (size, date, etc.) but you
    > can save the path/name results of the Search by installing the MS Powertoy
    > SendToX. If you don't already have it installed, you can grab it from
    > here:
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windows95/downloads/contents/WUToys/W95PwrToysSet/Default.asp
    > I'm afraid you will have to download the whole PowerToy set, but all you
    > want right now is to install the SendtoX one.
    >
    > If you are not familiar with these PowerToys, I strongly recommend you
    > read the cautions and information MS MVP Jim Eshelman has made available
    > on this page: http://aumha.org/a/powertoy.htm
    >
    > Now then, once you have SendToX installed, run your Search. Then from the
    > Edit pulldown menu click Select All; next move your mouse cursor to where
    > it hovers over the highlighted list of file names and right-click; select
    > Send To... and then select Clipboard as Name. You can then open your
    > favorite text editor (Notepad, for example) and paste the list of files
    > into that document.
    >
    > --
    >
    > ...Sky

Windows Explorer Microsoft Explorer Windows XP