I can't delete or rename DLS file

HowI used to be able to rename or delete the file GM.DLS in
c:\windows\system32\drivers. This enables me to use other sets of sound with
DirectX. All of a sudden - - since I installed SP2 - the old original file
keeps renewing itself whenever I try to rename, delete or write to it.

Why does this happen? How can I get round it? What other files are involved
in this? Whose computer is it anyway - surely I can change files around if I
want to
3 answers Last reply
More about delete rename file

    Sebastian wrote:
    > HowI used to be able to rename or delete the file GM.DLS in
    > c:\windows\system32\drivers. This enables me to use other sets of sound
    > with DirectX. All of a sudden - - since I installed SP2 - the old
    > original file keeps renewing itself whenever I try to rename, delete or
    > write to it.
    >
    > Why does this happen?

    Windows File Protection (WFP) is restoring a known-good version of the file
    from the system32\dllcache folder.

    > How can I get round it?

    See the "HOWTO" section of this article:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;555047

    > What other files are involved in this?

    Most .DLL, .EXE, .OCX, and .SYS files; some .TTF files.

    > Whose computer is it anyway - surely I can change
    > files around if I want to

    Yep, it's your computer and you can manage the files. Just that many users
    get into a bind by having crucial system files accidentally deleted; thus
    WFP. :)

    --

    ....Sky

    ================

    reboot into SAFE MODE to delete files

    "Sebastian" <Sebastian@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > HowI used to be able to rename or delete the file GM.DLS in
    > c:\windows\system32\drivers. This enables me to use other sets of sound
    with
    > DirectX. All of a sudden - - since I installed SP2 - the old original
    file
    > keeps renewing itself whenever I try to rename, delete or write to it.
    >
    > Why does this happen? How can I get round it? What other files are
    involved
    > in this? Whose computer is it anyway - surely I can change files around
    if I
    > want to

    I haven't yet understood why I got myself into this mess, or what to do about
    in the longer term - but this solution worked and I'm back on track for
    moment. Thanks for all tips and information.

    "CajunClickers@hotmail.com" wrote:

    > reboot into SAFE MODE to delete files

Microsoft Windows XP