Gigabyte GA-7VAX and ATA133

Markhawks

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2003
Hi There Gurus,
I recently purchased a Gigbyte GA-7VAX, partially for the ATA133 support it is supposed to have (http://www.giga-byte.com/products/7vax.htm). After messing around for a day and a half, updating BIOS, drivers, etc., I cannot find any way to configure ATA133.

Am I missing something? Does anyone have any ideas on how to get motherbaord support for my ATA133 drive?
thanks in advance,
Mark

elzt

Distinguished
May 10, 2002
If you've installed mobo chipset driver, then IDE0/1 should work at ATA133. Just wonder how you know this is not the case? From the POST screen?

BTW, I'm not a Gurus. :wink:

Markhawks

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2003
Hi there,
I was going from info I got from the IDE Tool that Gigabyte provides on the CD. It reported the drive as ATA100/UDMA 5. However, their drivers and tools were not the most current, which I am now using.

As they say in football, "After further review...", you are absolutely correct. The POST screen reports it as ATA133/LBA. It just goes by VERY fast (he says sheepishly). Thanks for the pointer. Sometimes you can over-think the situation.
Mark

chad_n

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2003
Also if you use WIN XP you will need Service pack 1 to have it report as "ULtra DMA Mode 6" in device manager. Otherwise it reports only "Ultra DMA Mode", but still should be running at ATA133...

However, alot of poeple have had problems with SP1, so don't do it unless you need USB 2.0 support, etc.

Chad