Looking for an easy & quick solution to backup.

Hi. I am interested in the easiest way to backup my hard drive so that my
wife can easily restore it when it fails. What is the best imaging software
for this purpose?
Thank you very much for your advice.

On Mon, 8 Nov 2004 22:14:02 -0800, Tbone Man wrote:

> Hi. I am interested in the easiest way to backup my hard drive so that my
> wife can easily restore it when it fails. What is the best imaging software
> for this purpose?
> Thank you very much for your advice.

I like Image for Windows. An image can be created while working in Windows
and stored on CD, DVD, spare hard drive or network share. They have an full
trial version (no limitations) available at their site:
www.terabyteunlimited.com

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows XP Shell/User

"Tbone Man" wrote:

> Hi. I am interested in the easiest way to backup my hard drive so that my
> wife can easily restore it when it fails. What is the best imaging software
> for this purpose?
> Thank you very much for your advice.
You are expecting a lot of people to understand fully your wife's
capabilities. I use the Windows XP back up program and back up to a hard
drive on a second computer. If you are using XP Home, the program isn't
normally installed. It may be on your installation disk, but some
manufacturers don't bother.

You can download the back up from our Computer Club's web site:
http://www.myscacc.org/Forms/ntbackup.msi

I really like Acronis True Image. Images can be made to external hard
disks, network disks, or CD, DVD, etc, all without leaving Windows. You can
also browse an image to recover individual files. It probably the most
logically organized piece of software I've ever used, and I find I hardly
even need to use the instructions. Reasonably priced too!

jed

"Tbone Man" <Tbone Man@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi. I am interested in the easiest way to backup my hard drive so that my
> wife can easily restore it when it fails. What is the best imaging
> software
> for this purpose?
> Thank you very much for your advice.

True Image has been favorably reviewed in the computer press. So has my own
favorite, Symantec's Norton Ghost. You can read the reviews at PC World, PC
Magazine or CNet, among other places. BootIt Next Generation (affectionately
called BING) is another excellent choice, however its interface is not as
clear as True Image or Ghost.

Those are essentially your only choices for consumer imaging software. Keep
in mind that disk imaging is a highly technical procedure. Your wife will
need a good deal of preparation in order to use this software correctly.
--
Ted Zieglar

On Tue, 9 Nov 2004 15:05:39 -0500, Ted Zieglar wrote:

> BootIt Next Generation (affectionately
> called BING) is another excellent choice, however its interface is not as
> clear as True Image or Ghost.

Image for Windows is by the same company that makes BING. I woiuld say that
is much more user friendly than the image portion of BING too.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows XP Shell/User

Tbone Man wrote:
> Hi. I am interested in the easiest way to backup my hard drive so
> that my wife can easily restore it when it fails. What is the best
> imaging software for this purpose?
> Thank you very much for your advice.

I personally use, and like very much Drive Image 7.
I use it in conjuction with an external usb2 hard drive. I image every
Sunday morning at 4:00 am automatically, and store the external hd away in a
safe place the rest of the week.

--
Don Burnette