gm.dls cache file

I'm trying to get around Windows File Protection (which I only learned about
in an earlier post here). I want to replace the gm.dls sound file supplied
by Microsoft with one of my own. I had done this, and used it successfully
for a while, but suddenly WFP stops me from making any changes and has
reverted to the original file.
One way suggested was to change the cached version of this file, which is
not protected. But I can't find it. It's not in any of the .cab files in
windows\driver cache\I386 (where one source suggests) and I can't find a
folder called dllcache (which another source suggested).
Does anyone know where to find it?
10 answers Last reply
More about cache file

    "Sebastian" <Sebastian@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I'm trying to get around Windows File Protection (which I only learned
    > about
    > in an earlier post here). I want to replace the gm.dls sound file
    > supplied
    > by Microsoft with one of my own. I had done this, and used it
    > successfully
    > for a while, but suddenly WFP stops me from making any changes and has
    > reverted to the original file.
    > One way suggested was to change the cached version of this file, which
    > is
    > not protected. But I can't find it. It's not in any of the .cab
    > files in
    > windows\driver cache\I386 (where one source suggests) and I can't find
    > folder called dllcache (which another source suggested).
    > Does anyone know where to find it?

    What happens if you use Start -> Run to enter
    "C:\Windows\System32\dllcache"? Does Explorer then open to show that
    *hidden* folder? You won't see hidden or system folders in Explorer
    unless you configure its options to do so.

    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=222193

    gm.dls is in both of these folders >>>
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache
    and
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers

    C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache is a Hidden folder.

    gm.dls
    http://search.microsoft.com/search/results.aspx?qu=gm.dls&View=msdn&st=b&c=4&s=1&swc=4

    DLS Designer
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dmusprod/htm/dlsdesigner.asp

    Default GM Sound Set
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dmusprod/htm/defaultgmsoundset.asp

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.
    Wes

    In news:9C98A832-69AD-49D7-AAC5-B67B45DF7FA1@microsoft.com,
    Sebastian <Sebastian@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    > I'm trying to get around Windows File Protection (which I only
    > learned about in an earlier post here). I want to replace the gm.dls
    > sound file supplied by Microsoft with one of my own. I had done
    > this, and used it successfully for a while, but suddenly WFP stops me
    > from making any changes and has reverted to the original file.
    > One way suggested was to change the cached version of this file,
    > which is not protected. But I can't find it. It's not in any of the
    > .cab files in windows\driver cache\I386 (where one source suggests)
    > and I can't find a folder called dllcache (which another source
    > suggested).
    > Does anyone know where to find it?

    Hi

    You may find you'll have problems if you replace, amend etc. an MS file that
    is protected by WFP.

    --

    Will Denny
    MS-MVP - Windows Shell/User

    "Sebastian" <Sebastian@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I'm trying to get around Windows File Protection (which I only learned
    > about
    > in an earlier post here). I want to replace the gm.dls sound file
    > supplied
    > by Microsoft with one of my own. I had done this, and used it
    > successfully
    > for a while, but suddenly WFP stops me from making any changes and has
    > reverted to the original file.
    > One way suggested was to change the cached version of this file, which is
    > not protected. But I can't find it. It's not in any of the .cab files in
    > windows\driver cache\I386 (where one source suggests) and I can't find a
    > folder called dllcache (which another source suggested).
    > Does anyone know where to find it?

    I'm not quite there yet but I'll get there eventually. Thanks for all the
    help/suggestions/links.

    Actually I'm less close than I thought. I've started a new thread about
    this, but in case that gets lost or overlooked, what I said was:

    I'm trying to replace the Microsoft default sound file
    c:\windows\system32\drivers\gm.dls with another file. I ussed to be able to
    do this, but since SP2 it is automatically replaced by a copy, apparently
    from C:\windows\system32\dllcache. I was suggested I could delete that copy
    of the file, but I can't - it too gets replaced almost immediatley - from
    where????

    Also, it was suggested I use the program "Replacer.com" but it says gm.dls
    is "not in the database"

    Any other suggestions gratefully received.

    Sebastian wrote:
    > Actually I'm less close than I thought. I've started a new thread about
    > this, but in case that gets lost or overlooked, ....

    Best idea is to maintain a thread until the problem is resolved. Creating a
    new thread daily <g> won't make fixing the problem easier.

    > I'm trying to replace the Microsoft default sound file
    > c:\windows\system32\drivers\gm.dls with another file. I ussed to be able
    > to do this, but since SP2 it is automatically replaced by a copy,
    > apparently from C:\windows\system32\dllcache.

    The resolution remains the same as it was in your first thread on the 8th.

    Rename the file you wish to replace in the \dllcache folder, the \i386
    folder if it is there, in the lastknowngood folder if it exists, and in the
    \system32\drivers folder. Then copy the new one to the \drivers folder.

    You will have to do this each time you wish to replace that file.

    --

    ....Sky

    ================

    "Sky King" wrote:

    > Best idea is to maintain a thread until the problem is resolved. Creating a
    > new thread daily <g> won't make fixing the problem easier.

    Quite right - but I'm new to all this and couldn't, at that moment, find my
    earlier post. We learn from our mistakes, and I'm learning a lot.

    > Rename the file you wish to replace in the \dllcache folder

    I've done that - it just gets replaced.

    > the \i386 folder if it is there

    That's where it used to live before SP2. It's not there now, nor is it in
    the .cab files now in that directory.

    >in the lastknowngood folder if it exists

    I've never heard of this. I'll see if I can find it. Thanks

    and I said:
    > I've never heard of this. I'll see if I can find it. Thanks

    But I can't find it. Where should I look?

    Sebastian wrote:
    > "Sky King" wrote:
    >> . . .in the lastknowngood folder if it exists
    >
    > and I said:
    >> I've never heard of this. I'll see if I can find it. Thanks
    >
    > But I can't find it. Where should I look?

    As I said "if it exists" <g>. It may not exist on your system. That folder
    only gets created if multiple backups are needed for protecting system-level
    files, for example during the installation of several updates. When you
    Restart the system those files are synched with the dllcache folder and then
    the "lastknowngood" folder is removed.

    --

    ....Sky

    I'm still in the dark about a lot of this but I've learned a lot. One way or
    another I've managed to get my file back where I wanted it. Thanks for all
    the information and tips.

Cache Microsoft Windows XP