Something's wrong

rockyzor

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2008
Hello, it's me again :cry: :cry:

I'm having such a big problems with my computer that I gonna burn it. Computer is old about 2 weeks, first week everythink worked fine, games was running very smooth, very fast loading, high fps, then few days ago everything changed to low performance. I don't know how, It just happen. My games started loading very very very slow, fps fell down atleast 3 times, with 1 word, I had (I still have) LOW PERFORMANCE. I tried to upgrade my entire comp, BIOS, also games.. everyting possible, then I tried some tweaks to get high performance in my favorite game, Call of Duty 2 I got my FPS back, but lagg was still there. This is not an internet lagg, it's kind a graphic (I'm not 100%sure).. I don't know hot to explane when I move I can see on walls, trees, plants how picture is moving very slowly. Please help me.

Windows XP SP3 (With all the latest updates)
Intel Dragon Tail BLKD p35DPM
Samsung DVD+RW 20
HDD WD 320GB SATA22
2GB RAM DDR2
Intel Core2Duo e8400, 3ghZ
Gigabyte Nvidia 260GTX 896
650W Power Supply Sweex

tallguy1618

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2007
Did you change anything about your computer that might explain the low performance? Tell us any changes you made right around the time it started messing up. Also, do you know how to display your FPS in COD2? Just go in a server, bring up the console, and type /cg_drawfps 1. I think it's maxed out at 91, but you can set it higher. That will tell you about your performance in COD2. For a refernce, my specs are slightly lower and my graphics card is an 8800GTX and I get 91 solid at 1680X1050 with 4 AA and all else highest possible. If your getting lower FPS than that with similar settings, then something is very wrong.
Another thing might be your power supply. The 260GTX requires a lot of power, and 650 watt might not be enough if it is a cheap brand. I'm not familiar with the Sweex brand, what is it on the power supply tier chart?

rockyzor

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2008
Well, the only 2 things that I changed it was adding a 5.1 Surround Sound Card, and removing mainboard's sound drivers. Reason for adding sound card was becuase the one on mainboard it's only 2.0 so I had to replaced it if I wanted to use my 5.1 Headphones, but games worked fine after that.

I have a very good config for cod2 and yes I know for cg_Drawfps 1, I always had 333-1000 FPS now, I hardly reach 250 constant. I was able to run COD2 at 1280x1024 resolution, with 4x AA and DX9 and I always had 250 fps constantly, even more If I putted on maxfps 1000, and it never lagged, everything went so very very smoothly, now it's so wierd to tell, when I move my mouse, or just move I can't move smoothly only "laggy" :) I tried to put to the lowest graphic and still the same.

rayzor

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2004
Did you change any significant software settings (like drivers?) If so, you should roll back to the old drivers and see if they still work.

If you didn't touch any important software settings, then you probably have a faulty component. There are many many possibilities. Run MEMTEST to make sure your ram is ok. Also, read this temperature guide:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/221745-29-core-quad-temperature-guide

Make sure your cpu and gpu temps are reasonable and are not the source of this problem. Let us know how those things go and well try from there. I'd maybe suspect the power supply, but this problem seems to intermittent. Power supply problems are usually more straightforward (ie, the game crashes, or the computer shuts off).

rockyzor

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2008
No I didn't changed anything else, RAM and disks are fine, no errors.

Here are screens for the temperatures (I think that they're fine)

c9u.png

temps.jpg

rockyzor

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2008
Oh and by the way, I have some question if you could answer them, I'm just curious why is my mainboard unknown and If Intel's mainboards are good for gaming, why are fans on graphic card only at 40% speed and If it's better to replace mainboard. My sell man who sold me this comp. said, that If I'll have some problems with gaming he can replace the mainboard with a better one. I actually do have, don't I ?:S My problem is just so weird it came from no where, actually at first day, my FPS were also falling down, but just for a few seconds, now I fixed FPS but lagg still remains:S What could be the problem ?

spook24

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2008
core are running a little hot...at least to mine. mine run @ 30-31C idle and with a load 34-35C..and thats with 70% fan speed. i got a E4700 @ 2.6ghz; 2mb L2 all stock so idk

spook24

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2008

http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=815

and this together u can change options in nvidia's control panel:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/ntune_5.05.54.00.html

mine are stock at 30% gpu fan and i run it at 65% just so i can have some room to play around with

spook24

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2008
yeah no doubt...didnt see that there. good eye Doc. thats probably the reason right there. if it not a bug in the program.

G

perhaps your system is crashed.try to reinstall the windows(only sp2 plz) and drivers.good luck

rockyzor

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2008
I installed spook's software and temperature fell for about 5celzias (can even more If I set fans higher)

JDocs, it's a bug, trust me:)
bona@, at the moment I got Windows XP Sp3, I can reinstqall it with no problems, but why to use sp2, why not 3 ?hm...

amdfangirl

Expert
Ambassador
^ Nah, we won't laugh at you =)

Most of us are from different ethnic backgrounds. I'm French (partially at least).

Celsius

It's good to have Firefox's built-in Australian dictionary =)

You could check OP, with nVidia control panel

spook24

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2008
worst case scenario its a bad gfx card and the manufacture should accept it as a return merchandise authorization (RMA). given that you haven't done anything you shouldn't have to the card.

other than out dated drivers(all hardware); BIOS or not enough power(which 650 watts is plenty for that setup) the card was installed wrong or it got a static shock somehow when you installed it on the mainboard which resulted in it the card going bad. open a support ticket with Gigabyte or if you have a second PCI-E card then try that one as well.

also how old is the setup(mobo; ram; cpu and cpu fan; graphic card; etc...)

G

it has 1:1000 chance to get bad new hardwares.i guess your pc was infected by viruses,try to scan with updated antivirus.sp2 is more compatible with many games/programs then sp3,but i could be wrong bout this.

llama_man

Splendid
Jan 12, 2006
There are two main possibilities;
i) Hardware failure
ii) Software failure (e.g. malware, driver conflict).

The easiest to test is the second; format your harddrive and reinstall Windows.

If it works fine, then you can rule out a hardware problem. You know that you did something to kill windows, and i suspect it probably involves websites of a dubious nature.

If it doesn't work fine, then you should try reinstalling Windows again, but this time without the soundcard. If it now works, then you know that it was the soundcard that caused the problem (unlikely, but it's worth a try). If it doesn't work, then you can be certain that your problem is a fault with another piece of hardware - which you can then try to isolate by other methods (come back here and people will help!).

rockyzor

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2008
Computer is 2 weeks old, I have all the latests updates, BIOS too, I removed the sound card and still the same, tomorrow I'll try to reinstall windows and I'll let you know if'll be OK :) Thank you all for helping me !

rockyzor

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2008
I just reinstalled XP with SP2 and it's still the same, well maybe a "little" bit better. I saw that 260gtx graphic card needs "atleast" 2GB of ram, which I got but maybe it would be better if I buy extra 2gbs. How about if I replace my motherboard ?

rockyzor

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2008
Oh and I saw something really weird today, have a look at the picture. Is that a bug in program ? Because in every other programs I have normal GPU core speeds.

gpu.jpg

There are only 2 possibilities to this problem. 1 the GTX200 series is not working with COD2 currently (this does happen sometimes with new GPUs and takes a few driver updates) or 2. your PSU is not supplying enough power to the GPU in order for it to run at full power.

As for the PSU its a British only it seems (could only find it on UK sites) and it only has one 12v Rail @ 25AMPs so it may be possible your PSU does not have enough amps and cannot fuel the card.

Remember these cards use a lot of power so a quality PSU is in your best interests.