Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Something's wrong

Last response: in Video Games
Share
July 26, 2008 3:07:23 PM

Hello, it's me again :cry:  :cry: 

I'm having such a big problems with my computer that I gonna burn it. Computer is old about 2 weeks, first week everythink worked fine, games was running very smooth, very fast loading, high fps, then few days ago everything changed to low performance. I don't know how, It just happen. My games started loading very very very slow, fps fell down atleast 3 times, with 1 word, I had (I still have) LOW PERFORMANCE. I tried to upgrade my entire comp, BIOS, also games.. everyting possible, then I tried some tweaks to get high performance in my favorite game, Call of Duty 2 I got my FPS back, but lagg was still there. This is not an internet lagg, it's kind a graphic (I'm not 100%sure).. I don't know hot to explane when I move I can see on walls, trees, plants how picture is moving very slowly. Please help me.

Windows XP SP3 (With all the latest updates)
Intel Dragon Tail BLKD p35DPM
Samsung DVD+RW 20
HDD WD 320GB SATA22
2GB RAM DDR2
Intel Core2Duo e8400, 3ghZ
Gigabyte Nvidia 260GTX 896
650W Power Supply Sweex

More about : wrong

July 26, 2008 3:53:54 PM

Did you change anything about your computer that might explain the low performance? Tell us any changes you made right around the time it started messing up. Also, do you know how to display your FPS in COD2? Just go in a server, bring up the console, and type /cg_drawfps 1. I think it's maxed out at 91, but you can set it higher. That will tell you about your performance in COD2. For a refernce, my specs are slightly lower and my graphics card is an 8800GTX and I get 91 solid at 1680X1050 with 4 AA and all else highest possible. If your getting lower FPS than that with similar settings, then something is very wrong.
Another thing might be your power supply. The 260GTX requires a lot of power, and 650 watt might not be enough if it is a cheap brand. I'm not familiar with the Sweex brand, what is it on the power supply tier chart?
July 26, 2008 4:15:57 PM

Well, the only 2 things that I changed it was adding a 5.1 Surround Sound Card, and removing mainboard's sound drivers. Reason for adding sound card was becuase the one on mainboard it's only 2.0 so I had to replaced it if I wanted to use my 5.1 Headphones, but games worked fine after that.

I have a very good config for cod2 and yes I know for cg_Drawfps 1, I always had 333-1000 FPS now, I hardly reach 250 constant. I was able to run COD2 at 1280x1024 resolution, with 4x AA and DX9 and I always had 250 fps constantly, even more If I putted on maxfps 1000, and it never lagged, everything went so very very smoothly, now it's so wierd to tell, when I move my mouse, or just move I can't move smoothly only "laggy" :)  I tried to put to the lowest graphic and still the same.
Related resources
July 26, 2008 9:50:51 PM

Did you change any significant software settings (like drivers?) If so, you should roll back to the old drivers and see if they still work.

If you didn't touch any important software settings, then you probably have a faulty component. There are many many possibilities. Run MEMTEST to make sure your ram is ok. Also, read this temperature guide:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/221745-29-core-quad-t...

Make sure your cpu and gpu temps are reasonable and are not the source of this problem. Let us know how those things go and well try from there. I'd maybe suspect the power supply, but this problem seems to intermittent. Power supply problems are usually more straightforward (ie, the game crashes, or the computer shuts off).
July 28, 2008 8:50:06 AM

No I didn't changed anything else, RAM and disks are fine, no errors.

Here are screens for the temperatures (I think that they're fine)




July 28, 2008 9:00:48 AM

Oh and by the way, I have some question if you could answer them, I'm just curious why is my mainboard unknown and If Intel's mainboards are good for gaming, why are fans on graphic card only at 40% speed and If it's better to replace mainboard. My sell man who sold me this comp. said, that If I'll have some problems with gaming he can replace the mainboard with a better one. I actually do have, don't I ?:S My problem is just so weird it came from no where, actually at first day, my FPS were also falling down, but just for a few seconds, now I fixed FPS but lagg still remains:S What could be the problem ?
July 28, 2008 9:13:15 AM

core are running a little hot...at least to mine. mine run @ 30-31C idle and with a load 34-35C..and thats with 70% fan speed. i got a E4700 @ 2.6ghz; 2mb L2 all stock so idk




July 28, 2008 9:16:51 AM

rockyzor said:
Oh and by the way, I have some question if you could answer them, I'm just curious why is my mainboard unknown and If Intel's mainboards are good for gaming, why are fans on graphic card only at 40% speed and If it's better to replace mainboard. My sell man who sold me this comp. said, that If I'll have some problems with gaming he can replace the mainboard with a better one. I actually do have, don't I ?:S My problem is just so weird it came from no where, actually at first day, my FPS were also falling down, but just for a few seconds, now I fixed FPS but lagg still remains:S What could be the problem ?



http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=815

and this together u can change options in nvidia's control panel:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/ntune_5.05.54.00.html

mine are stock at 30% gpu fan and i run it at 65% just so i can have some room to play around with
July 28, 2008 9:26:52 AM

GPU-Z is showing a GTX260 (in the screen shot) at 300mhz GPU and 100mhz memory. I hope thats a bug in the program...
July 28, 2008 9:38:16 AM

yeah no doubt...didnt see that there. good eye Doc. thats probably the reason right there. if it not a bug in the program.
Anonymous
July 28, 2008 9:44:50 AM

perhaps your system is crashed.try to reinstall the windows(only sp2 plz) and drivers.good luck
July 28, 2008 9:52:24 AM

I installed spook's software and temperature fell for about 5celzias (can even more If I set fans higher)

JDocs, it's a bug, trust me:) 
bona@, at the moment I got Windows XP Sp3, I can reinstqall it with no problems, but why to use sp2, why not 3 ?hm...
July 28, 2008 9:53:33 AM

Guys, please don't laugh at my English, I'm from Slovenia and I don't speak very well :) 
July 28, 2008 10:10:35 AM

^ Nah, we won't laugh at you =)

Most of us are from different ethnic backgrounds. I'm French (partially at least).

Celsius

It's good to have Firefox's built-in Australian dictionary =)

JDocs said:
GPU-Z is showing a GTX260 (in the screen shot) at 300mhz GPU and 100mhz memory. I hope thats a bug in the program...


You could check OP, with nVidia control panel
July 28, 2008 11:43:41 AM

worst case scenario its a bad gfx card and the manufacture should accept it as a return merchandise authorization (RMA). given that you haven't done anything you shouldn't have to the card.

other than out dated drivers(all hardware); BIOS or not enough power(which 650 watts is plenty for that setup) the card was installed wrong or it got a static shock somehow when you installed it on the mainboard which resulted in it the card going bad. open a support ticket with Gigabyte or if you have a second PCI-E card then try that one as well.

also how old is the setup(mobo; ram; cpu and cpu fan; graphic card; etc...)
July 28, 2008 12:12:17 PM

says it t'was about 2 weeks

If it was bad installation it would have shown up ages ago

What season is it over there? Room temp getting any warmer?
Anonymous
July 28, 2008 12:52:57 PM

it has 1:1000 chance to get bad new hardwares.i guess your pc was infected by viruses,try to scan with updated antivirus.sp2 is more compatible with many games/programs then sp3,but i could be wrong bout this.
July 28, 2008 12:56:22 PM

Could just do a reinstall
July 28, 2008 1:06:01 PM

There are two main possibilities;
i) Hardware failure
ii) Software failure (e.g. malware, driver conflict).

The easiest to test is the second; format your harddrive and reinstall Windows.

If it works fine, then you can rule out a hardware problem. You know that you did something to kill windows, and i suspect it probably involves websites of a dubious nature.

If it doesn't work fine, then you should try reinstalling Windows again, but this time without the soundcard. If it now works, then you know that it was the soundcard that caused the problem (unlikely, but it's worth a try). If it doesn't work, then you can be certain that your problem is a fault with another piece of hardware - which you can then try to isolate by other methods (come back here and people will help!).
July 28, 2008 2:41:28 PM

Computer is 2 weeks old, I have all the latests updates, BIOS too, I removed the sound card and still the same, tomorrow I'll try to reinstall windows and I'll let you know if'll be OK :)  Thank you all for helping me !
July 29, 2008 1:16:36 PM

I just reinstalled XP with SP2 and it's still the same, well maybe a "little" bit better. I saw that 260gtx graphic card needs "atleast" 2GB of ram, which I got but maybe it would be better if I buy extra 2gbs. How about if I replace my motherboard ?
July 29, 2008 1:22:46 PM

Oh and I saw something really weird today, have a look at the picture. Is that a bug in program ? Because in every other programs I have normal GPU core speeds.

July 29, 2008 2:19:02 PM

There are only 2 possibilities to this problem. 1 the GTX200 series is not working with COD2 currently (this does happen sometimes with new GPUs and takes a few driver updates) or 2. your PSU is not supplying enough power to the GPU in order for it to run at full power.

As for the PSU its a British only it seems (could only find it on UK sites) and it only has one 12v Rail @ 25AMPs so it may be possible your PSU does not have enough amps and cannot fuel the card.

Remember these cards use a lot of power so a quality PSU is in your best interests.
July 29, 2008 2:45:31 PM

Intel Dragon Tail BLKD p35DPM

^^^ problem located
July 29, 2008 3:07:09 PM

snarfies1, so you're telling me that I should replace my motherboard ? Well.. the sell man said that the mainboard could a problem. But with which one to buy ?
July 29, 2008 9:03:30 PM

rockyzor said:
Hello, it's me again :cry:  :cry: 

I'm having such a big problems with my computer that I gonna burn it. Computer is old about 2 weeks, first week everythink worked fine, games was running very smooth, very fast loading, high fps, then few days ago everything changed to low performance. I don't know how, It just happen. My games started loading very very very slow, fps fell down atleast 3 times, with 1 word, I had (I still have) LOW PERFORMANCE. I tried to upgrade my entire comp, BIOS, also games.. everyting possible, then I tried some tweaks to get high performance in my favorite game, Call of Duty 2 I got my FPS back, but lagg was still there. This is not an internet lagg, it's kind a graphic (I'm not 100%sure).. I don't know hot to explane when I move I can see on walls, trees, plants how picture is moving very slowly. Please help me.

Windows XP SP3 (With all the latest updates)
Intel Dragon Tail BLKD p35DPM
Samsung DVD+RW 20
HDD WD 320GB SATA22
2GB RAM DDR2
Intel Core2Duo e8400, 3ghZ
Gigabyte Nvidia 260GTX 896
650W Power Supply Sweex



Hey Buddy

Do you self a favour.....

Dump that Sweex powersupply..... They are so poop is unreal

crap rubbish sh!te....

Buy your self a real powersupply

A OCZ for example....
July 30, 2008 10:27:34 AM

Hi, I just found minimum pc requirements for 260gtx :

500 watt power supply or greater with minimum 12V current rating of 36A.
Intel pentium/core 2 or Amd Athlon/ Pheonom
512 MB of system memory, 2gb or more for best performance

I think that power supply should handle it (I think so atleast :)  ) There's a nother problem, I can't see far things, objects, like trees, grass, tins etc. ... (when I'm gaming, when I'm moving I can see how things are appearing during the wallking or something like that) I hope that you know what I mean. (I'm not so good in English and I don't know how to explane well) I got very good performance, very high FPS but the graphic is not well.0 Is it a problem in graphic card ? But I can't understand why the problems didn't appear the first day of my computer, well If I'm onest even the first day everything didn't worked as supposed to be FPS were falling down. I haven't changed any of settings.
July 30, 2008 8:51:21 PM

rockyzor said:
Hi, I just found minimum pc requirements for 260gtx :

500 watt power supply or greater with minimum 12V current rating of 36A.
Intel pentium/core 2 or Amd Athlon/ Pheonom
512 MB of system memory, 2gb or more for best performance

I think that power supply should handle it (I think so atleast :)  ) There's a nother problem, I can't see far things, objects, like trees, grass, tins etc. ... (when I'm gaming, when I'm moving I can see how things are appearing during the wallking or something like that) I hope that you know what I mean. (I'm not so good in English and I don't know how to explane well) I got very good performance, very high FPS but the graphic is not well.0 Is it a problem in graphic card ? But I can't understand why the problems didn't appear the first day of my computer, well If I'm onest even the first day everything didn't worked as supposed to be FPS were falling down. I haven't changed any of settings.


All because you have a Sweex 600w powersupply doesnt mean it will work well..

Do you self a favour and dump the Sweex power supply they are cheap rubbish..

Honestly - do it..
July 30, 2008 11:34:32 PM

Maybe i'm ignorant, but don't power supply issues usually result in either hangs, crashes, or the computer basically exploding?

While cheap power supplies are the culprit of many problems, (and his certainly seems borderline for his needs) why is he getting lag in games, and why, as he described, do textures seem to pop in? Can texture popping even occur as a result of a bad power supply?
July 31, 2008 7:32:07 AM

rayzor said:
Maybe i'm ignorant, but don't power supply issues usually result in either hangs, crashes, or the computer basically exploding?

While cheap power supplies are the culprit of many problems, (and his certainly seems borderline for his needs) why is he getting lag in games, and why, as he described, do textures seem to pop in? Can texture popping even occur as a result of a bad power supply?



Power supplies can give many unwonderfull things...

I have delt with Sweex PSUS and they are cheap and the psu should be one of the better components inside..

I would replace this regardless of what other problems there are..

These are around 30 dollars...
July 31, 2008 3:17:05 PM

According to jimmysimmty your PSU only has 25 amps on the 12v. That is not enough. Get a quality PSU. There is a possibility that the lack of amps required is causing your graphics card to remain at idle speeds for lack of power.

Remember wattage is not everything, it's more about the amps available.

Well, if this is your PSU:
http://svp.co.uk/product/sweex_ps040_650w_psu_power_sup...

Then it only has 33 amps across two rails, which is still less than the required 36 amps. Seriously, don't skimp on a PSU, it provides power to all your expensive electronics. Look for good manufacturers i.e. corsair, OCZ, PC & P, etc.
July 31, 2008 4:17:28 PM

But I don't understand, why did it work at first week of my bought, if something was wrong it should be from 1st day until today don't you think ? and also is everything power supply's fault, or is it possible to have someting to do with the mainboard too ?

San Pedro: Yes, that's the exact one that I have !:) 
July 31, 2008 5:09:03 PM



Why do I get the feeling that I am being ignored....



I am telling you rockyzor that these power supplies are bad...

I will tell you that bad power supplies can deteriorate ( especially when they are crap in the first place ).

I will tell you that bad powersupplies to not always comply to what you really need in voltages and rails. And all because you have 600W on the tin doesnt ( and in Sweex's case ) will not be reached. Its the minimum not the maximum in your case that matters...

I will tell you that SWEEX is proberly the cheapest brand you could buy....

I had had problems with all their powersupplies which are gold in colour and yours i assume is gold.

They come in a purple and blue box...

I am trying to be patient.. So ill say again.. Your weekest component is your cheap poxy Sweex powersupply...

Go out and by something else hi end such as OCZ etc as anything is better than the unit you are running..

I will not entertain you further untill you do...

It is more than likely causing all your problems..

July 31, 2008 5:28:01 PM

OK :) Hellboy, would you be so kind and past me a link to a good power supply please:) 
July 31, 2008 7:27:57 PM

rockyzor said:
No I didn't changed anything else, RAM and disks are fine, no errors.

Here are screens for the temperatures (I think that they're fine)

http://gpuz.techpowerup.com/08/07/28/c9u.png

http://shrani.si/f/34/Sw/7qhDUv6/temps.jpg

I'm probably wrong, but aren't those clocks supposed to be higher?
My 9800gtx core is 732, and the 260gtx is much more expensive and better than the 9800gtx. Probably not enough power, or the drivers are ****.
July 31, 2008 7:36:10 PM

rockyzor said:
OK :) Hellboy, would you be so kind and past me a link to a good power supply please:) 


Well, I got a Corsair 750TX (750 watt) which is great. I overclocked my video card, and cpu. Search on www.newegg.com 750tx. im using it right now, no problems. PSUs under 100$ are considered a piece of "****", unless you're on a 500$ computer which does not need that much power. I'm not hellboy, but heres a decent one anyways.
July 31, 2008 9:21:10 PM

febtiger said:
Well, I got a Corsair 750TX (750 watt) which is great. I overclocked my video card, and cpu. Search on www.newegg.com 750tx. im using it right now, no problems. PSUs under 100$ are considered a piece of "****", unless you're on a 500$ computer which does not need that much power. I'm not hellboy, but heres a decent one anyways.



Ill second that, the Corsair 750 is a great psu...

Any thing but dump the sweex..
July 31, 2008 9:54:57 PM

I agree with Hellboy, dump the lousy power supply...it will cause you more trouble in the long run (ie when your computer explodes and burns down your house! ;)  )

However, I don't know whether or not this will solve the problem you are having now. It's well worth a try. I'm curious about why both of the screenshots you've posted show your GPU clock to be so slow...unless the gpu is capable of reducing its frequencies based on power input (which doesn't happen i'm fairly sure) then i'd bet you have a bad video card. Bad hardware happens...
August 1, 2008 9:07:02 AM

Well, I'm going to try.

Today, when I woke up I started my computer, ran Cod4, played for few minutes and then fist time it's stopped my computer and second time this shown on and also stopped the entire computer !!!



I'm sorry becuase it's a bad picture, I had to take a shoot with my cell-phone :)  It was in the up-left corner. I think that we're closer to the problem :)  I'll try to buy power supply as fastest I can.
August 1, 2008 1:30:48 PM

Hahah hello again ! Guys, lagg gone, I can play so smoothly now I have no idea what happen but it's working now, but something is still there, objects, like tins, trees, grass etc... are still poping in :(  Will newer power supply fix that ? I just want to be sure becuase I don't wanna spend my money for nothing.. :) 
August 1, 2008 6:08:32 PM

Getting a new PSU is a good idea even if yours kind of gets the job done. When looking, pay attention to how many amps are on the 12v rail, and look at efficiency, you'll want something over 80%.
August 1, 2008 7:10:25 PM

rockyzor said:
Well, I'm going to try.

Today, when I woke up I started my computer, ran Cod4, played for few minutes and then fist time it's stopped my computer and second time this shown on and also stopped the entire computer !!!

http://shrani.si/f/n/hB/fVHBw0u/01-08-081049.jpg

I'm sorry becuase it's a bad picture, I had to take a shoot with my cell-phone :)  It was in the up-left corner. I think that we're closer to the problem :)  I'll try to buy power supply as fastest I can.



It still doesnt seem to sink through does it..

The power supply is one of the main parts of the system and should be one of the best...
You will not be wasting money...
Especially when you was going to waste money on getting a new board...

Get a new psu...
August 1, 2008 9:25:15 PM

hopefully things will continue to work out for you.

just let me tell you...if your power supply goes bad, it can destroy the rest of your computer. That is why you need a good power supply!
!