Epox nForce2

RevyGurl

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2003
Are there two versions of the Epox nForce2 motherboard? I know of the Epox 8RDA+, but I've also seen the Epox 8RDA (no plus) being sold, and I'm wondering if they are the exact same boards.

I'm thinking of getting this board and I want to make sure I get the right one. Any help appreciated. Thanks!

OAPTyf

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2002
Lo RevyGurl,

I just did a check for u on the Epox website (Europe) and there's no mobo named 8rda on their products list. So I'm thinking it's prolly an error and it's the same 8rda+ board(nforce2 chipset)

Eric G

RevyGurl

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2003
Thanks for finding those web pages.. wow I guess there really are two different models. The plus has 2 Com, 1 LPT and 1 Game.. ? and the non plus, only has 1 LPT.. and none of the others. um, I'm not sure what this means exactly. Both of the boards say they have Realtek ALC650E 6-channel. To have the lan, all I need is to just put a network card in one of the PCI slots, right..?

RevyGurl

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2003
"The plus has 2 Com, 1 LPT and 1 Game.. ? and the non plus, only has 1 LPT.. and none of the others" What does this mean?

ad_rach

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2002
fair enough.i didn't think there would be two.not much point really when there is so little difference.you would think they would put sata on the + to make the gap a bit bigger.

no matter how hard you try, you can't polish a turd. :]

Civilized

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2001
All the plus version does is offer more features such as raid etc...but yet they are based on the same chipset and will offer similar performance

RevyGurl

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2003
can you tell me quickly what raid is anyway..? I've seen it being mentioned so many times, but never an explanation of what it exactly is. Thanks!

finrod

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2003
RAID = Redundant Array of Inexpensive Disks

what is does is allow a volume to be made up of the capacity of a number of disks. There are several different raid versions. I think it goes something like this (although I could be wrong)

RAID 0 = a mirred volume. You have two disks together which are exact duplicates. If one disk fails you have the data on the other disk. Gives you a performance increase for reads as there are two different sources to get the data.

RAID 1 = striping no parity. WHen you have three or more volumes together, when you write to the disk it writes the data across 3 volumes giving a performance increase as data can be accessed in parallel. There is no redundancy with this method

RAID 5 = striping with parity. For three or more drives where n = the number of drives in the stripe set. the data is written to n-1 drives and the parity information is written to the other drive. If one of the drives fails then the data can be recovered using the parity information.

RAID 0 + 1 aka RAID 10 - this is made up of a combination of striping without parity and mirroring. Requires at least 6 drives I think. YOu have a stripe set of 3 or more drives which are mirrored. Gives you the performance increase of raid 1 with the redundancy of raid 0.

There's too much blood in my caffeine system

Lamoni

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2002
Actually you have it backwards.

Raid 0 has no redundancy, only striping. Requires at least 2 drives. If one goes bad, you lose all the data on both.

Raid 1 is mirrored. Each drive is an exact duplicate. It improves read access, decreases write performance. If one drive goes bad, everything still runs fine.

Raid 5 requires at least 3 drives. It is more complicated, but offers both data security and better performance, but not as good of performance as Raid 0

Raid 0+1 requires at least 4 drives. It is two Raid 0 arrays that are mirrored. So you have good performance and good data security. But you pay a lot for the 4 or more hard drives.

If you want more info on Raid, post in the Hard drive section.

cefoskey

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2003
the plus version has built in firewire as well. I got the standard version 3 days ago, and in the manual it says the plus version has LAN and firewire.

"Who is General Failure, and why is he reading my drive?"

finrod

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2003
Does the plus model come with a joystick port ? I have a ms force feedback joystick which doesn't work on USB.

There's too much blood in my caffeine system