configuration help for new WAP in home network

Last response: in Wireless Networking
August 22, 2004 4:00:18 PM

I have got a very basic network at home with three machines connected to
each other via a 6 point switch/hub in a normal hard wired LAN all running
Win2K. One of the machines acts as a gateway to the Internet and is
connected via an ADSL USB modem. The connection is shared using WinRoute.
I want to be able to occasionally connect my notebook into the LAN using the
integral wireless connection in the notebook and use Internet and file
sharing.
I can do this using hard wired LAN and now I have purchased a NetGear MA101
wireless access point which I have installed into one of the PCs on the
network. The PCs on the network all have fixed IP addresses in the range of
192.168.0.xx And I seek assistance configuring the network after
introducing this wireless access point. In both PC and notebook I have
given the new wireless connections IP addresses in the same range. I am
using the Ad Hoc mode because infrastructure mode doesn't work. I assume
that Ad Hoc is ok for what I am trying to achieve.The best I can do is to
ping the PC with the WAP from the notebook but not vice versa. I cannot ping
the other machines in the LAN from the notebook so there is no chance that
the gateway machine can be used by the notebook. I have now discovered that
if I disable the hardwired LAN connection in the PC then I can ping the
notebook.
Anonymous
August 22, 2004 8:09:35 PM

"-keevill-" <keevillus@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> I have got a very basic network at home with three machines connected to
> each other via a 6 point switch/hub in a normal hard wired LAN all
running
> Win2K. One of the machines acts as a gateway to the Internet and is
> connected via an ADSL USB modem. The connection is shared using WinRoute.
> I want to be able to occasionally connect my notebook into the LAN using
the
> integral wireless connection in the notebook and use Internet and file
> sharing.
> I can do this using hard wired LAN and now I have purchased a NetGear
MA101
> wireless access point which I have installed into one of the PCs on the
> network. The PCs on the network all have fixed IP addresses in the range
of
> 192.168.0.xx And I seek assistance configuring the network after
> introducing this wireless access point. In both PC and notebook I have
> given the new wireless connections IP addresses in the same range. I am
> using the Ad Hoc mode because infrastructure mode doesn't work. I assume
> that Ad Hoc is ok for what I am trying to achieve.The best I can do is to
> ping the PC with the WAP from the notebook but not vice versa. I cannot
ping
> the other machines in the LAN from the notebook so there is no chance that
> the gateway machine can be used by the notebook. I have now discovered
that
> if I disable the hardwired LAN connection in the PC then I can ping the
> notebook.

Ok I have now figured out that if I put the wireless network on a different
subnet range eg 192.168.1.xx and leave the hardwired LAN on 192.168.0.xx , I
can access PC to Notebook and vice versa but the notebook cannot reach the
gateway machine, therefore cannot get to the Internet. Is there something
very simple left to do ??
!