Can u ID this motherboard?

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
Ok, this is a motherboard from an old 1996 Dell. A friend needs me to find what it is, except she can't open the case, so this is what she got from BIOS: P133T Version A05
Anyone have any idea what it might be? It used to have a Pentium 1 133Mhz.

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough."
- Mario Andretti

bdaley

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
It USED to have a P133? What's in there now?

Why does she need to know what's in it? Is she going to try to "upgrade" it? That will be a little hard to do if she can't even open the case, LOL.

Try doing a search with that number on Dell's website. Maybe that will tell you something. If she wants to know because she wants to upgrade, I doubt there's going to be much you can do with that old system.

BTW, I like the quote from Mario. He lives about 5 miles from me.

"I'm a man armed with a fork in a land of soup."

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Dell used modified Intel boards. Intel put different power connectors on the boards. It's probably a VX board that Intel doesn't talk about. If you right click on "my computer" and go to properties, the System Properties menu pops up. Go to the "Device Manager" tab at the top, then find the "System Devices" item on that menu. Expand that and you'll see chipset devices listed. You'll find information on the chipset, such as whether it's an HX, FX, or VX.

BTW, I've refurbished a few hundred of these and know how to open all of them! What model is it?

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Wait, it says version A05? Check to see if you have three thumbscrews on the back. To remove the cover, you loosen those, slide the lid forward about 1.5 inches, and lift it off. The boards for that style case all used SIMM memory, either EDO or Fast Page Mode. The largest chips you can get are 16MB, all four slots would give you 64MB, and they must be installed in pairs. The board supports a Pentium 200, although a 200MMX would work with good cooling (the MMX is supposed to use a slightly lower voltage that this board doesn't support).

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
I haven't actually seen the comp hehe. She got a P1 200Mhz and wants to upgrade it, but needs a heatsink and fan, and wants to know what exactly will work (she's also worried that her pervious hs was glued on whereas this one will have a metal latch)

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough."
- Mario Andretti

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
No, it's not glued on, it does have a metal latch. It's large and oddly shaped. Any standard socket 5/7/370/462 heatsink fits, even a PIII/Athlon cooler, but you won't need it. All you need is a knife or something to break the hold of the stiffened up paste.