High perf. gaming cafe server, does it require..?

jamesbatin

Honorable
Nov 29, 2012
Hello,

This is my first post, I hope I'm writing in the correct section.

A discussion with a friend about opening an gaming center/cafe went on a specific subject. Which was that if a high end/performance gaming server is available there is no need for high end gaming computers in the center. A average or below average would do.

In a sense that the gaming server will do all/most of the work and just feed the pc's in the center.

Ultimately we are looking to have the best gaming experience with graphics set to high with out the pc struggling.

I kind of disagreed and said that the client pc's should have some high end components as well. I have been trying to read about it ever since.

I'd appreciate it a lot if someone could shed some light on this subject or direct us to the right direction.

thank you.

Solution
A server is only useful for games that support a dedicated server. This does cover stuff like Counter-Strike, Team Fortress, and many other popular games; but not all games.

You're going to have to do some research into the games you plan on targeting.

Most modern dual core Intel HT CPUs or quad-core AMD CPUs will be plenty powerful for almost every game as long as you're not trying to host a 32 player TF2 server on a client.

Anyway, it sounds like you don't very-well understand how servers work, yet alone many video games.

If you plan to make money from a good gaming experience, you're going to have understand this stuff.

Kewlx25

Distinguished
A server is only useful for games that support a dedicated server. This does cover stuff like Counter-Strike, Team Fortress, and many other popular games; but not all games.

You're going to have to do some research into the games you plan on targeting.

Most modern dual core Intel HT CPUs or quad-core AMD CPUs will be plenty powerful for almost every game as long as you're not trying to host a 32 player TF2 server on a client.

Anyway, it sounds like you don't very-well understand how servers work, yet alone many video games.

If you plan to make money from a good gaming experience, you're going to have understand this stuff.

Solution