Can´t send fax from Win XP fax (with dial 0 to get a outsi..

Hello,

when sending it starts to dialing then replys with a message saying the
"line is busy". What could be wrong?

I'm working with a (new) laptop where I must dial 0 to access an outside
line.

My modem is Intel 537EA. Driver 2.1.84.106

There are no problems

-with internet-connections

-to fax, when I not have to dial 0 before.

And I have had never problems with this constellation (dial 0 to get a
outside line) with my computers before over a couple of years.

But there I didn´t use Win XP fax.

Thanks for response

G.Martin

If it dials incorrectly, you haven't set up your dialing rules correctly. If
it doesn't even start to dial, you probably have a modem incompatibility.
Unfortunately, Windows XP Fax has proven to be incompatible with many common
modems and drivers, particularly older ones, even if the manufacturers claim
they are "compatible" with Windows XP. Modem incompatibility is not apparent
during installation or the initial setup. It only becomes apparent when you
first try to send or receive a fax. The Fax Service will dial or will answer
an incoming fax but then fail with any of a number of unhelpful error
messages such as "Line is busy," "There is no answer," or "Reception error."
There will be nothing in Event Viewer to give a clue as to where the problem
might lie. These errors have been nearly impossible to track down. To do so
requires enabling both PSS and debug logging of fax transmissions, both of
which require fairly extensive registry changes. For the time being, the
best advice is to attempt to use XP Fax only if you have a modem that is
listed on the Windows XP Hardware Compatibility List and using the latest
drivers.

--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]