letter_ñ_,spanish_alphabet

September 29, 2004 7:27:02 PM

I have a Dell Inspiron 600,windows XP.When Ipress alt and 164 I get a tone
and no response..In my other computer,a windows millenium,I would the letter
ñ with that method..Please help me..Thank you
--
Make windows user friendly
Anonymous

You simply press Alt, and without releasing it, type the number corresponding
to the character you want using the "numeric pad" on the right side of the keyboard.

Accents and diacriticals in your computer
http://www.vanderbilt.edu/AnS/spanport/keyboard.html#xp

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

"monteiro41" wrote:

| I have a Dell Inspiron 600,windows XP.When Ipress alt and 164 I get a tone
| and no response..In my other computer,a windows millenium,I would the letter
| ñ with that method..Please help me..Thank you
| --
| Make windows user friendly
Anonymous
September 30, 2004 1:06:21 AM

monteiro41 wrote:
> I have a Dell Inspiron 600,windows XP.When Ipress alt and 164 I get a tone
> and no response..In my other computer,a windows millenium,I would the letter
> ñ with that method..Please help me..Thank you

Clueless Carey strikes again. Inspiron is a laptop. You need to enable
numlock before the alt+164 sequence.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
September 30, 2004 8:58:05 AM

Herb Fritatta wrote:
> Clueless Carey strikes again. Inspiron is a laptop. You need to
> enable numlock before the alt+164 sequence.

In your rush to harass Carey, you neglected to read the page that he pointed
to where it states, "Don't forget to check that this pad is activated (use
the NumLock key)!".

If you are going to try and provoke someone, you need to make sure that you
are correct, otherwise you reveal your glaring agenda and end up looking
like the clueless one. :)

--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP

I'm not trying to provoke anyone. Anyone with a brain who
spends time in these groups knows that Carey has a
habit of not reading posts before he responds, and giving
"solutions" that have nothing to do with the problem. In
this case, Carey neglected to observe that the OP's
computer was a laptop, and thus told him to use the keypad
on the righthand side of the keyboard. No link was
necessary. Before you jump to *defend* Carey, maybe you
need to explain his troubling pattern of nonsense
helping people as he does about maintaining his precious
MVP title, which is apparently maintained on the basis
of quantity and not quality.
Anonymous
September 30, 2004 2:54:40 PM

Herb Fritatta wrote:
> [...]

Just pointing out the fact that your post was in error and frivolous. It has
nothing to do with the response that Carey gave. Whether the information
about the Num Lock was in his post or in the link he provided, it was still
there.

You were really stretching on this post to make your meaningless point which
has nothing to do with this thread.
If you are intent on harassing or correcting someone, you need to make sure
that 'you' are completely correct before hitting that Send button,
otherwise, it simply makes you look foolish as well as obvious that this is
a personal attack and has nothing to do with your concern that the OP is
getting the correct information.

As far as what it takes to maintain the MVP title, Carey's record speaks for
itself.

Go to the following website:
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=lang_en&newwin...

Select the "Search only in microsoft.public.windowsxp.*" radio button and
type in the search keywords: "thank" "carey" (Including the quotation
marks) and see what you come up with (Note the number of results). This is
the important information, not your opinion.

--
Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP

hl=en&lr=lang_en&newwindow=1&group=microsoft.public.windows
xp

>Select the "Search only in microsoft.public.windowsxp.*"
radio button and
>type in the search keywords: "thank" "carey"
(Including the quotation
>marks) and see what you come up with (Note the number of
results). This is
>the important information, not your opinion.
>
>--
>Ronnie Vernon
>Microsoft MVP
>Windows Shell/User

My "meaningless point" provided the correct information to
the OP without having him needlessly follow a link! As far
as Carey is concerned, I agree completely that the record
speaks for itself. I will be happy, if you like, to post
a comprehensive list of posts wherein Carey posted
wrong information. I don't think that I would be able to
post a list nearly as long for any other MVP. The fact is
that Carey's posts are often the result of ignorance,
haste, or plain disregard for getting it right.
Anonymous
September 30, 2004 4:13:01 PM

As my posted informational link mentions:
"Don't forget to check that this pad is activated (use the NumLock key)!"

As for the accuracy of my posts, I believe them to be quite accurate
overall. A MVP award is based on sharing accurate information, though
no person can claim 100% accuracy with every post. Yes, I do make
errors occasionally, but not intentionally. Wish I never took that
speed-reading course in college and I also had better vision!

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

"Herb Fritatta" wrote:

| I'm not trying to provoke anyone. Anyone with a brain who
| spends time in these groups knows that Carey has a
| habit of not reading posts before he responds, and giving
| "solutions" that have nothing to do with the problem. In
| this case, Carey neglected to observe that the OP's
| computer was a laptop, and thus told him to use the keypad
| on the righthand side of the keyboard. No link was
| necessary. Before you jump to *defend* Carey, maybe you
| need to explain his troubling pattern of nonsense
| helping people as he does about maintaining his precious
| MVP title, which is apparently maintained on the basis
| of quantity and not quality.
Anonymous
September 30, 2004 4:13:02 PM

spx

It is painfully obvious that receiving and maintaining
MVP status is based on quantity and not quality. You are
living proof. There are MVPs who consistently provide
accurate and concise information and my hat is off to them.
But if I were one of them, I wouldn't want to belong to
a club that had you as a member. BTW, the link you provided
refers (as did your original response) to the numeric
keypad on a standard keyboard.
Anonymous
September 30, 2004 6:09:02 PM

Thank you Carey..,but I still have the problem..I pressed the Num Lk key to
enable it, but I still get the tone when I press any number key..?Any
suggestions?
Monteiro41

"Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

> You simply press Alt, and without releasing it, type the number corresponding
> to the character you want using the "numeric pad" on the right side of the keyboard.
>
> Accents and diacriticals in your computer
> http://www.vanderbilt.edu/AnS/spanport/keyboard.html#xp
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP - Shell/User
>
> Be Smart! Protect Your PC!
> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/defaul...

> "monteiro41" wrote:
>
> | I have a Dell Inspiron 600,windows XP.When Ipress alt and 164 I get a tone
> | and no response..In my other computer,a windows millenium,I would the letter
> | ñ with that method..Please help me..Thank you
> | --
> | Make windows user friendly

Anonymous
September 30, 2004 6:11:07 PM

Thank you Herb..I already replied to Carey that I still have the problem..I
still get the tone..I enabled the Num Lk key,the lock lit up..?Any
suggestions?
MOnteiro41

"Herb Fritatta" wrote:

> monteiro41 wrote:
> > I have a Dell Inspiron 600,windows XP.When Ipress alt and 164 I get a tone
> > and no response..In my other computer,a windows millenium,I would the letter
> > ñ with that method..Please help me..Thank you
>
> Clueless Carey strikes again. Inspiron is a laptop. You need to enable
> numlock before the alt+164 sequence.

September 30, 2004 6:44:04 PM

"Herb Fritatta" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0e6801c4a719$6829fe20$a301280a@phx.gbl...
> My "meaningless point" provided the correct information to
> the OP without having him needlessly follow a link! As far
> as Carey is concerned, I agree completely that the record
> speaks for itself. I will be happy, if you like, to post
> a comprehensive list of posts wherein Carey posted
> wrong information. I don't think that I would be able to
> post a list nearly as long for any other MVP. The fact is
> that Carey's posts are often the result of ignorance,
> haste, or plain disregard for getting it right.

I agree with this post!
Anonymous
September 30, 2004 7:06:11 PM

"monteiro41" <falsoperdiz@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>I have a Dell Inspiron 600,windows XP.When Ipress alt and 164 I get a tone
> and no response..In my other computer,a windows millenium,I would the
> letter
> ñ with that method..Please help me..Thank you
> --
> Make windows user friendly

The application you are using may make Windows friendly.

If your application supports unicode character insertion, you could use the
applications procedure for unicode insertion which does not require the
numeric keyboard. In Character Map, the ALT+ code is on the lower right, the
unicode is on the lower left.

If your are using Word 2003 {or other recent Word versions}, you could:

Use the unicode insertion
Use Insert Symbols
Use the keyboard shortcut, if any, provided in Insert Symbols {there is
one for your symbol}
Use Auto-Correct Options (under Tools) to define an replace with
sequence. You could, for example, define (n) be replace with your Spanish
letter.

Other applications, such as Word Perfect, should have similar choices.
Check Help for the application.

Don
Anonymous
September 30, 2004 9:09:09 PM

Use the 'Embedded Numeric Keypad' as illustrated here:
http://support.ap.dell.com/docs/systems/pcyp/computer.h...

Example:

Press: Fn + Alt + J + O + U = ñ

The Embedded Numeric Pad has blue numerals or characters
and is located in the right center area of your Inspiron keyboard.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

"monteiro41" wrote:

| Thank you Carey..,but I still have the problem..I pressed the Num Lk key to
| enable it, but I still get the tone when I press any number key..?Any
| suggestions?
| Monteiro41
Anonymous
September 30, 2004 9:10:24 PM

Use the 'Embedded Numeric Keypad' as illustrated here:
http://support.ap.dell.com/docs/systems/pcyp/computer.h...

Example:

Press: Fn + Alt + J + O + U = ñ

The Embedded Numeric Pad has blue numerals or characters
and is located in the right center area of your Inspiron keyboard.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP
Windows XP - Shell/User

Be Smart! Protect Your PC!
September 30, 2004 9:20:03 PM

Also, if you are typing in Microsoft Word, just use the
conventional keyboard and type the numbers 164, then
simultaneously press the Alt + X keys and you'll automatically
get ñ.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect Your PC!
September 30, 2004 10:27:24 PM

Or type ALT+0241 to get the ñ

"Carey Frisch [MVP]" <cnfrisch@nospamgmail.com> wrote in message news:elxpluzpEHA.1952@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> Also, if you are typing in Microsoft Word, just use the
> conventional keyboard and type the numbers 164, then
> simultaneously press the Alt + X keys and you'll automatically
> get ñ.
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP - Shell/User
>
> Be Smart! Protect Your PC!
> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/defaul...

Anonymous
October 1, 2004 5:04:05 PM

> Also, if you are typing in Microsoft Word, just use the
> conventional keyboard and type the numbers 164, then
> simultaneously press the Alt + X keys and you'll automatically
> get ñ.
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP - Shell/User
>
> Be Smart! Protect Your PC!
> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/defaul...

In Word ALT+X is for unicode insertion. The OP would need to use the unicode
{00F1} for that symbol.

Don
Anonymous
October 1, 2004 9:37:05 PM

The information provided in your last post worked.thank you..

"Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

> Use the 'Embedded Numeric Keypad' as illustrated here:
> http://support.ap.dell.com/docs/systems/pcyp/computer.h...
>
> Example:
>
> Press: Fn + Alt + J + O + U = ñ
>
> The Embedded Numeric Pad has blue numerals or characters
> and is located in the right center area of your Inspiron keyboard.
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP - Shell/User
>
> Be Smart! Protect Your PC!
> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/defaul...

Anonymous
October 1, 2004 9:41:01 PM

Thank you..I will try your info when I use word..

"Don MI <>" wrote:

> "monteiro41" <falsoperdiz@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> >I have a Dell Inspiron 600,windows XP.When Ipress alt and 164 I get a tone
> > and no response..In my other computer,a windows millenium,I would the
> > letter
> > ñ with that method..Please help me..Thank you
> > --
> > Make windows user friendly
>
> The application you are using may make Windows friendly.
>
> If your application supports unicode character insertion, you could use the
> applications procedure for unicode insertion which does not require the
> numeric keyboard. In Character Map, the ALT+ code is on the lower right, the
> unicode is on the lower left.
>
> If your are using Word 2003 {or other recent Word versions}, you could:
>
> Use the unicode insertion
> Use Insert Symbols
> Use the keyboard shortcut, if any, provided in Insert Symbols {there is
> one for your symbol}
> Use Auto-Correct Options (under Tools) to define an replace with
> sequence. You could, for example, define (n) be replace with your Spanish
> letter.
>
> Other applications, such as Word Perfect, should have similar choices.
> Check Help for the application.
>
> Don

Anonymous
October 1, 2004 11:40:42 PM

You're welcome! A little research finally paid-off!
Thank-you for the feedback!

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP