¤Hooking_up_3_CD_drives..._need_

Jonathan

Hi there,
I posted one asking for some advice about 3 days ago asking how to hook up my 3 cd drives.
I followed everyone's advice.. and I still got problems.. need help.

3 CD drives..
ASUS CD-Rom
SONY CD-RW
SONY DVD-Rom

Case supports 4 drives, power is sufficient (all the drives have power but computer won't run with them all and recognize them).. IDE cables are fine, jumpers are fine.
Right now all I have is the Pri. Master as the HDD (obviously) and the Sec. Pri and Sec. Slave are the CD drives. All CD drives work, I can hook up any 2 I want in the Secondary.
My problem is hooking the 3rd one up to the Pri. Slave. I tried having the drive as slave (and HDD) as master, at the XP loading screen it will go for about 2 seconds then go to the blue screen and restart (it restarts so fast I can't even read the blue).

I set the Primary HDD and CD to cable select and it doesn't boot properly.. it won't detect the HDD and makes the CD the Pri. Master. (I also tried leaving the HDD master and the CD as Cable select and it does the same thing.. won't detect HDD and makes CD master).
Before I hook up a new drive I change the BIOS settings so I have everything right for that part... I need help...
Please don't mention about buying CD combos or something (someone mentioned that before).. its not that big of a deal whether I get the 3rd hooked up or not.. it'd just be nice.. (I keep the normal CD drive disconnected for now..)
Any help would be appreciated... if you need more info just ask lol.. thx in advance!

¤Jonathan¤

kawipoo

Have you tried changing the HDD to the secondary primary. I have run into a
few of these problems and it was a problem with the IDE controller.
"Jonathan" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi there,
> I posted one asking for some advice about 3 days ago asking how to hook up
my 3 cd drives.
> I followed everyone's advice.. and I still got problems.. need help.
>
> 3 CD drives..
> ASUS CD-Rom
> SONY CD-RW
> SONY DVD-Rom
>
> Case supports 4 drives, power is sufficient (all the drives have power but
computer won't run with them all and recognize them).. IDE cables are fine,
jumpers are fine.
> Right now all I have is the Pri. Master as the HDD (obviously) and the
Sec. Pri and Sec. Slave are the CD drives. All CD drives work, I can hook
up any 2 I want in the Secondary.
> My problem is hooking the 3rd one up to the Pri. Slave. I tried having
the drive as slave (and HDD) as master, at the XP loading screen it will go
for about 2 seconds then go to the blue screen and restart (it restarts so
fast I can't even read the blue).

> I set the Primary HDD and CD to cable select and it doesn't boot
properly.. it won't detect the HDD and makes the CD the Pri. Master. (I
also tried leaving the HDD master and the CD as Cable select and it does the
same thing.. won't detect HDD and makes CD master).
> Before I hook up a new drive I change the BIOS settings so I have
everything right for that part... I need help...
> Please don't mention about buying CD combos or something (someone
mentioned that before).. its not that big of a deal whether I get the 3rd
hooked up or not.. it'd just be nice.. (I keep the normal CD drive
disconnected for now..)
> Any help would be appreciated... if you need more info just ask lol.. thx
in advance!

> ¤Jonathan¤

Jonathan

sorry forgot something lol..
when I make the HDD and Pri. slave drive both as Cable Select.. BIOS does not recognize the drives.. but when the computer is booting up, it says
Primary Master HDD error
Pri. Slave ATAPI imcompatible
(the Sec. both work fine and boot)
¤Jonathan¤

Jonathan

Thx for all your help, I'll try them all...
(to John).. it makes sense that the CD drive in Pri. would slow down the HDD.. I never thought about that thou.. lol the HDD is about 2 years old.. so I don't know if that would concern your new 80 wire issue..
¤Jonathan¤

"Jonathan" wrote:

> Hi there,
> I posted one asking for some advice about 3 days ago asking how to hook up my 3 cd drives.
> I followed everyone's advice.. and I still got problems.. need help.
>
> 3 CD drives..
> ASUS CD-Rom
> SONY CD-RW
> SONY DVD-Rom
>
> Case supports 4 drives, power is sufficient (all the drives have power but computer won't run with them all and recognize them).. IDE cables are fine, jumpers are fine.
> Right now all I have is the Pri. Master as the HDD (obviously) and the Sec. Pri and Sec. Slave are the CD drives. All CD drives work, I can hook up any 2 I want in the Secondary.
> My problem is hooking the 3rd one up to the Pri. Slave. I tried having the drive as slave (and HDD) as master, at the XP loading screen it will go for about 2 seconds then go to the blue screen and restart (it restarts so fast I can't even read the blue).
>
> I set the Primary HDD and CD to cable select and it doesn't boot properly.. it won't detect the HDD and makes the CD the Pri. Master. (I also tried leaving the HDD master and the CD as Cable select and it does the same thing.. won't detect HDD and makes CD master).
> Before I hook up a new drive I change the BIOS settings so I have everything right for that part... I need help...
> Please don't mention about buying CD combos or something (someone mentioned that before).. its not that big of a deal whether I get the 3rd hooked up or not.. it'd just be nice.. (I keep the normal CD drive disconnected for now..)
> Any help would be appreciated... if you need more info just ask lol.. thx in advance!
>
> ¤Jonathan¤

Hello
As for the Sec. IDE it will hookup as normal.
For the Primary IDE you will need a 80 wire 40 pin IDE cable (the one with a
blue end) set the HDD as master, set the drive as slave, plug the blue end
into the MB the center connector will have to be plugged into the ROM drive,
the end connector will have to be plugged into the HDD.

--
Hope This Helps
Haus
"Jonathan" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi there,
> I posted one asking for some advice about 3 days ago asking how to hook up
my 3 cd drives.
> I followed everyone's advice.. and I still got problems.. need help.
>
> 3 CD drives..
> ASUS CD-Rom
> SONY CD-RW
> SONY DVD-Rom
>
> Case supports 4 drives, power is sufficient (all the drives have power but
computer won't run with them all and recognize them).. IDE cables are fine,
jumpers are fine.
> Right now all I have is the Pri. Master as the HDD (obviously) and the
Sec. Pri and Sec. Slave are the CD drives. All CD drives work, I can hook
up any 2 I want in the Secondary.
> My problem is hooking the 3rd one up to the Pri. Slave. I tried having
the drive as slave (and HDD) as master, at the XP loading screen it will go
for about 2 seconds then go to the blue screen and restart (it restarts so
fast I can't even read the blue).

> I set the Primary HDD and CD to cable select and it doesn't boot
properly.. it won't detect the HDD and makes the CD the Pri. Master. (I
also tried leaving the HDD master and the CD as Cable select and it does the
same thing.. won't detect HDD and makes CD master).
> Before I hook up a new drive I change the BIOS settings so I have
everything right for that part... I need help...
> Please don't mention about buying CD combos or something (someone
mentioned that before).. its not that big of a deal whether I get the 3rd
hooked up or not.. it'd just be nice.. (I keep the normal CD drive
disconnected for now..)
> Any help would be appreciated... if you need more info just ask lol.. thx
in advance!

> ¤Jonathan¤

Why so you want three cd drives. Its best to not have the hd paired up with
a cd drive since it will slow down the hd speed to that of the cd, or so I
have been told. Also the newer hard drives use a 80 wire ribbon cable that
may not be compatible with cd drives. Here is website to checkout.
http://www.pcguide.com/ref/hdd/if/ide/conf_Recommendations.htm

"Jonathan" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi there,
> I posted one asking for some advice about 3 days ago asking how to hook up
my 3 cd drives.
> I followed everyone's advice.. and I still got problems.. need help.
>
> 3 CD drives..
> ASUS CD-Rom
> SONY CD-RW
> SONY DVD-Rom
>
> Case supports 4 drives, power is sufficient (all the drives have power but
computer won't run with them all and recognize them).. IDE cables are fine,
jumpers are fine.
> Right now all I have is the Pri. Master as the HDD (obviously) and the
Sec. Pri and Sec. Slave are the CD drives. All CD drives work, I can hook
up any 2 I want in the Secondary.
> My problem is hooking the 3rd one up to the Pri. Slave. I tried having
the drive as slave (and HDD) as master, at the XP loading screen it will go
for about 2 seconds then go to the blue screen and restart (it restarts so
fast I can't even read the blue).

> I set the Primary HDD and CD to cable select and it doesn't boot
properly.. it won't detect the HDD and makes the CD the Pri. Master. (I
also tried leaving the HDD master and the CD as Cable select and it does the
same thing.. won't detect HDD and makes CD master).
> Before I hook up a new drive I change the BIOS settings so I have
everything right for that part... I need help...
> Please don't mention about buying CD combos or something (someone
mentioned that before).. its not that big of a deal whether I get the 3rd
hooked up or not.. it'd just be nice.. (I keep the normal CD drive
disconnected for now..)
> Any help would be appreciated... if you need more info just ask lol.. thx
in advance!

> ¤Jonathan¤

I bet you don't have adequate power and the system is
crashing when all those drives try to spin up.

"John Keithley" <JBKeithley@Nosuch.place> wrote in message
| Why so you want three cd drives. Its best to not have the
hd paired up with
| a cd drive since it will slow down the hd speed to that of
the cd, or so I
| have been told. Also the newer hard drives use a 80 wire
ribbon cable that
| may not be compatible with cd drives. Here is website to
checkout.

http://www.pcguide.com/ref/hdd/if/ide/conf_Recommendations.htm

| "Jonathan" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message
| > Hi there,
| > I posted one asking for some advice about 3 days ago
asking how to hook up
| my 3 cd drives.
| > I followed everyone's advice.. and I still got
problems.. need help.

| > 3 CD drives..
| > ASUS CD-Rom
| > SONY CD-RW
| > SONY DVD-Rom
| >
| > Case supports 4 drives, power is sufficient (all the
drives have power but
| computer won't run with them all and recognize them).. IDE
cables are fine,
| jumpers are fine.
| > Right now all I have is the Pri. Master as the HDD
(obviously) and the
| Sec. Pri and Sec. Slave are the CD drives. All CD drives
work, I can hook
| up any 2 I want in the Secondary.
| > My problem is hooking the 3rd one up to the Pri. Slave.
I tried having
| the drive as slave (and HDD) as master, at the XP loading
screen it will go
| for about 2 seconds then go to the blue screen and restart
(it restarts so
| fast I can't even read the blue).
| >
| > I set the Primary HDD and CD to cable select and it
doesn't boot
| properly.. it won't detect the HDD and makes the CD the
Pri. Master. (I
| also tried leaving the HDD master and the CD as Cable
select and it does the
| same thing.. won't detect HDD and makes CD master).
| > Before I hook up a new drive I change the BIOS settings
so I have
| everything right for that part... I need help...
| > Please don't mention about buying CD combos or something
(someone
| mentioned that before).. its not that big of a deal
whether I get the 3rd
| hooked up or not.. it'd just be nice.. (I keep the normal
CD drive
| disconnected for now..)
| > Any help would be appreciated... if you need more info
just ask lol.. thx
| in advance!
| >
| > ¤Jonathan¤

Age of the drive has nothing to do with it. If the drive is ATA-100 spec, it
needs an 80 wire cable to perform to its maximum potential.

--
Regards:

Richard Urban

aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :)

"Jonathan" <Jonathan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Thx for all your help, I'll try them all...
> (to John).. it makes sense that the CD drive in Pri. would slow down the
HDD.. I never thought about that thou.. lol the HDD is about 2 years old..
so I don't know if that would concern your new 80 wire issue..
> ¤Jonathan¤
>

> "Jonathan" wrote:
>
> > Hi there,
> > I posted one asking for some advice about 3 days ago asking how to hook
up my 3 cd drives.
> > I followed everyone's advice.. and I still got problems.. need help.
> >
> > 3 CD drives..
> > ASUS CD-Rom
> > SONY CD-RW
> > SONY DVD-Rom
> >
> > Case supports 4 drives, power is sufficient (all the drives have power
but computer won't run with them all and recognize them).. IDE cables are
fine, jumpers are fine.
> > Right now all I have is the Pri. Master as the HDD (obviously) and the
Sec. Pri and Sec. Slave are the CD drives. All CD drives work, I can hook
up any 2 I want in the Secondary.
> > My problem is hooking the 3rd one up to the Pri. Slave. I tried having
the drive as slave (and HDD) as master, at the XP loading screen it will go
for about 2 seconds then go to the blue screen and restart (it restarts so
fast I can't even read the blue).

> > I set the Primary HDD and CD to cable select and it doesn't boot
properly.. it won't detect the HDD and makes the CD the Pri. Master. (I
also tried leaving the HDD master and the CD as Cable select and it does the
same thing.. won't detect HDD and makes CD master).
> > Before I hook up a new drive I change the BIOS settings so I have
everything right for that part... I need help...
> > Please don't mention about buying CD combos or something (someone
mentioned that before).. its not that big of a deal whether I get the 3rd
hooked up or not.. it'd just be nice.. (I keep the normal CD drive
disconnected for now..)
> > Any help would be appreciated... if you need more info just ask lol..
thx in advance!

> > ¤Jonathan¤

bar

From reading your text, when in CS mode, the HDD is not recognised..yes?

This could imply that the HDD is on the wrong connector: have you placed the HDD on the closer connector to the IDE interface connection? This is the slave position. The end connection is the master connector.

"Jonathan" wrote:

> Hi there,
> I posted one asking for some advice about 3 days ago asking how to hook up my 3 cd drives.
> I followed everyone's advice.. and I still got problems.. need help.
>
> 3 CD drives..
> ASUS CD-Rom
> SONY CD-RW
> SONY DVD-Rom
>
> Case supports 4 drives, power is sufficient (all the drives have power but computer won't run with them all and recognize them).. IDE cables are fine, jumpers are fine.
> Right now all I have is the Pri. Master as the HDD (obviously) and the Sec. Pri and Sec. Slave are the CD drives. All CD drives work, I can hook up any 2 I want in the Secondary.
> My problem is hooking the 3rd one up to the Pri. Slave. I tried having the drive as slave (and HDD) as master, at the XP loading screen it will go for about 2 seconds then go to the blue screen and restart (it restarts so fast I can't even read the blue).
>
> I set the Primary HDD and CD to cable select and it doesn't boot properly.. it won't detect the HDD and makes the CD the Pri. Master. (I also tried leaving the HDD master and the CD as Cable select and it does the same thing.. won't detect HDD and makes CD master).
> Before I hook up a new drive I change the BIOS settings so I have everything right for that part... I need help...
> Please don't mention about buying CD combos or something (someone mentioned that before).. its not that big of a deal whether I get the 3rd hooked up or not.. it'd just be nice.. (I keep the normal CD drive disconnected for now..)
> Any help would be appreciated... if you need more info just ask lol.. thx in advance!
>
> ¤Jonathan¤

Some older hard drives had a jumper that needed to be set so as to tell the
IDE electronics of the hard drive that a slave drive is connected to the
same cable.

"Jonathan" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi there,
> I posted one asking for some advice about 3 days ago asking how to hook up
my 3 cd drives.
> I followed everyone's advice.. and I still got problems.. need help.
>
> 3 CD drives..
> ASUS CD-Rom
> SONY CD-RW
> SONY DVD-Rom
>
> Case supports 4 drives, power is sufficient (all the drives have power but
computer won't run with them all and recognize them).. IDE cables are fine,
jumpers are fine.
> Right now all I have is the Pri. Master as the HDD (obviously) and the
Sec. Pri and Sec. Slave are the CD drives. All CD drives work, I can hook
up any 2 I want in the Secondary.
> My problem is hooking the 3rd one up to the Pri. Slave. I tried having
the drive as slave (and HDD) as master, at the XP loading screen it will go
for about 2 seconds then go to the blue screen and restart (it restarts so
fast I can't even read the blue).

> I set the Primary HDD and CD to cable select and it doesn't boot
properly.. it won't detect the HDD and makes the CD the Pri. Master. (I
also tried leaving the HDD master and the CD as Cable select and it does the
same thing.. won't detect HDD and makes CD master).
> Before I hook up a new drive I change the BIOS settings so I have
everything right for that part... I need help...
> Please don't mention about buying CD combos or something (someone
mentioned that before).. its not that big of a deal whether I get the 3rd
hooked up or not.. it'd just be nice.. (I keep the normal CD drive
disconnected for now..)
> Any help would be appreciated... if you need more info just ask lol.. thx
in advance!

> ¤Jonathan¤

Jonathan

Nope, the HDD is not recognized in CS mode.. the HDD is in the middle one.. not the end one, simply because the CD is on top of the HDD.. actually I tried it at the end but it still wasn't recognized :eek: :( but thx for all your help..

"BAR" wrote:

> From reading your text, when in CS mode, the HDD is not recognised..yes?
>
> This could imply that the HDD is on the wrong connector: have you placed the HDD on the closer connector to the IDE interface connection? This is the slave position. The end connection is the master connector.
>
> "Jonathan" wrote:
>
> > Hi there,
> > I posted one asking for some advice about 3 days ago asking how to hook up my 3 cd drives.
> > I followed everyone's advice.. and I still got problems.. need help.
> >
> > 3 CD drives..
> > ASUS CD-Rom
> > SONY CD-RW
> > SONY DVD-Rom
> >
> > Case supports 4 drives, power is sufficient (all the drives have power but computer won't run with them all and recognize them).. IDE cables are fine, jumpers are fine.
> > Right now all I have is the Pri. Master as the HDD (obviously) and the Sec. Pri and Sec. Slave are the CD drives. All CD drives work, I can hook up any 2 I want in the Secondary.
> > My problem is hooking the 3rd one up to the Pri. Slave. I tried having the drive as slave (and HDD) as master, at the XP loading screen it will go for about 2 seconds then go to the blue screen and restart (it restarts so fast I can't even read the blue).
> >
> > I set the Primary HDD and CD to cable select and it doesn't boot properly.. it won't detect the HDD and makes the CD the Pri. Master. (I also tried leaving the HDD master and the CD as Cable select and it does the same thing.. won't detect HDD and makes CD master).
> > Before I hook up a new drive I change the BIOS settings so I have everything right for that part... I need help...
> > Please don't mention about buying CD combos or something (someone mentioned that before).. its not that big of a deal whether I get the 3rd hooked up or not.. it'd just be nice.. (I keep the normal CD drive disconnected for now..)
> > Any help would be appreciated... if you need more info just ask lol.. thx in advance!
> >
> > ¤Jonathan¤

If you are using cable select, the primary hard drive must be connected to
the end of the cable, not the middle.