GPO´s won´t work when time sync service is disabled?

Hi NG,

I have a big problem here:

In our network (w2003 dc´s, 2000/xp clients) runs a very old DB-System named
Ingres.
This System covers the strange fact that the clients connected to it need
very special
time settings.

For this, it is necessary to turn off the time sync service.

We did this using GPO´s and it worked well. The time sync service na the
clients was
set to deactivated.

NOW: When we wanted to set back the GPO-time-sync-setting to automatic we
wondered
that the GPO didn´t work on the clients were the time sync service was
deactivated.

We were even more confused as we noticed, that NO GPO at all worked anymore
when the time sync service is deactivated.

When we manually on the client set the time sync service back to automatic,
GPO´s will
again work well.

Isn´t there any possibility to let the GPO´s work even if the time service
is
eactivated?

best regards
Jörg

My guess is the time synch service is not keeping the client and DCs within
5 minutes of one another, which will break GPOs. As long as the time is
within 5 minutes, GPOs should work.

--
Derek Melber
BrainCore.Net
"Joerg Riether" <riether@nospamplease.de> wrote in message
> Hi NG,
>
> I have a big problem here:
>
> In our network (w2003 dc´s, 2000/xp clients) runs a very old DB-System
named
> Ingres.
> This System covers the strange fact that the clients connected to it need
> very special
> time settings.
>
> For this, it is necessary to turn off the time sync service.
>
> We did this using GPO´s and it worked well. The time sync service na the
> clients was
> set to deactivated.
>
> NOW: When we wanted to set back the GPO-time-sync-setting to automatic we
> wondered
> that the GPO didn´t work on the clients were the time sync service was
> deactivated.
>
> We were even more confused as we noticed, that NO GPO at all worked
anymore
> when the time sync service is deactivated.
>
> When we manually on the client set the time sync service back to
automatic,
> GPO´s will
> again work well.
>
> Isn´t there any possibility to let the GPO´s work even if the time service
> is
> eactivated?
>
> best regards
> Jörg

Hi Derek,

thank you.
Is there a way to set this 5-minute-level up to let´s say 30 Minutes (w2003
domain native mode)?

best regards
Jörg

"Derek Melber [MVP]" <derekm@braincore.net> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> My guess is the time synch service is not keeping the client and DCs
within
> 5 minutes of one another, which will break GPOs. As long as the time is
> within 5 minutes, GPOs should work.
>
> --
> Derek Melber
> BrainCore.Net
> derekm@braincore.net
> "Joerg Riether" <riether@nospamplease.de> wrote in message
> > Hi NG,
> >
> > I have a big problem here:
> >
> > In our network (w2003 dc´s, 2000/xp clients) runs a very old DB-System
> named
> > Ingres.
> > This System covers the strange fact that the clients connected to it
need
> > very special
> > time settings.
> >
> > For this, it is necessary to turn off the time sync service.
> >
> > We did this using GPO´s and it worked well. The time sync service na the
> > clients was
> > set to deactivated.
> >
> > NOW: When we wanted to set back the GPO-time-sync-setting to automatic
we
> > wondered
> > that the GPO didn´t work on the clients were the time sync service was
> > deactivated.
> >
> > We were even more confused as we noticed, that NO GPO at all worked
> anymore
> > when the time sync service is deactivated.
> >
> > When we manually on the client set the time sync service back to
> automatic,
> > GPO´s will
> > again work well.
> >
> > Isn´t there any possibility to let the GPO´s work even if the time
service
> > is
> > eactivated?
> >
> > best regards
> > Jörg

Time synch is critical not only for GPO's but other domain acitivity
including authorization. I would seriously look at this from an application
standpoint and not "break" your domain by unsynching it.