Recover deleted pictures from computer after restore

Sharona1947

Honorable
Nov 19, 2012
Hello,
First my pictures "disappeared" from my folder on desktop and also from pictures folder on hard drive. Then when I thought my computer had a virus, I took it to Geek Squad to have it fixed - they had to do a complete restore. I thought I had successfully backed up the pictures, etc. but hadn't. Am I out of luck as far as the old pictures?

not necessarily.

you could try a hard drive recovery software to scan your hard drive for files. as long as you have not overwritten the data yet there is a fair chance you can salvage some of your files. keep in mind that a disk scan can take 8-15 hours or perhaps more depending on the software used and size of the hard drive.

honestly i had zero luck with the demo versions of pay software and had the best results with a free open source program. if you download a software called testdisk which also acts as a recovery program it comes with a program named photo----something.... i just can not seem to remember the entire name. both are ran through dos prompt and i found the second one (photo....) to be easier to use.

you could use a hard drive recovery service as well if the data is priceless but be prepared to empty your entire wallet on it. using testdisk/photo... is a free option.

TRENDING THREADS