Last response: in News comments
Anonymous
March 21, 2012 11:13:55 AM

Blast from the past....

"You are holding it wrong!"

Score
March 21, 2012 11:25:37 AM

Quote:
Now we also know that it runs a whopping 10 degrees hotter than the last iteration of Apple's tablet.

Yeah, 10 degrees!! Burns units to be alerted. :-O

Quote:
Now, 10 degrees Fahrenheit is negligible

Yeah, only a measly 10 degrees. You wouldn't even notice. There's no story here.

Quote:
a whopping 10 degrees hotter

No, you're right. This is major!

Quote:
10 degrees Fahrenheit is negligible

Aaaggh. Make your mind up. :-S
Score
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
March 21, 2012 11:25:57 AM

well...at least it'll make a nice handwarmer during winter...

too bad it's spring going into summer...

wonder if there's going to be problems later down the road when there is heat buildup when using various cases with rising temperatures due to weather?
Score
March 21, 2012 11:37:17 AM

Ummm, the article forgot to mention this:

Users who snapped up the just-released slate are reportedly experiencing an abnormal amount of heat being produced by the device, causing some units to shut down and display the message: “iPad needs to cool down before you can use it”
Score
March 21, 2012 11:48:38 AM

It might only be 10 degrees, but keep in mind that with a system running hotter, it'll be more prone to overheating and shutting down... especially with summer creeping closer.
Score
March 21, 2012 11:50:43 AM

What you say doesn't matter. The people that buy this over-priced junk are spoon-fed their thoughts through Apple.
Score
March 21, 2012 11:56:04 AM

"It just works", though apparently not when it's transformed into a toaster.

Though it was obviously coming, just cranking up the tdp of the chip and making everything bigger with no actual component improvement is going to cause that.

This Ipad is shocking, even compared to Apple's usual tricks.
Score
March 21, 2012 12:17:01 PM

without signifigant node shrinks the mroe powerful we want our handheld and portable devices the closer we come to the point where passive cooling isn't going to cut it. that or add alot of copper or other highly conductive matrial to help passivly cool it resulting in a thicker device. dont' know how many people would want a fan on a phone, but on a tablelet as long as its quiet i would actuall want coling to make sure my device lasted
Score
March 21, 2012 12:24:53 PM

I would think it was because of the beefier batteries and those same batteries are still being charged atm......

Will take a few days for them to charge up from all the use.

^.^
Score
March 21, 2012 12:43:20 PM

I'm fairly sure someone is going to put a thick rubber protective case over the iPad 3, and then use it when the outside temperature is over 90 F.
Score
March 21, 2012 1:01:33 PM

Introducing the new iPad3*

*Warning : The iPad3 has been deemed unsafe for operationnal use under the 45th parallel.
Score
March 21, 2012 1:18:34 PM

From the WSJ: "Consumer Reports said the new iPad can get as hot as 116 degrees Fahrenheit while performing processor-intensive tasks such as playing videogames for an extended period while plugged in." That's getting up there. Owners might need to put it on a laptop cooling pad instead of directly on their lap.
Score
March 21, 2012 1:28:38 PM

What's this °F? lrn2 metric
Score
March 21, 2012 1:42:11 PM

This should be a HOT seller in winter and/or in Canada :-)
Score
March 21, 2012 1:44:35 PM

92.5 °F = 33.6 °C
82.9 °F = 28.3 °C
Score
March 21, 2012 1:49:29 PM

Someone should make a case for it to dissipate heat better and offer it to the customers who complain about it. Other than that, you are asking for Apple to issue an update to constrain the performance so these people may be happy. I own a MBP and trust me, it can easily jump to temperatures that do not feel comfortable to the touch, at all. My solution was to reapply thermal paste and it help significantly. In this case, it wouldn't be apparent.
Score
March 21, 2012 2:12:39 PM

This is a bunch of crapola, your skin temperature is about 33 °C or 91 °F. Running some oddball benchmark means zip. I like my 'new iPad and haven't noticed any differences. If that bothers anyone then you're a baby -- go away.

The reason it is slightly heavier and thicker is due to added battery size from additional drain by the 4-core GPU and added 4G LTE to keep the battery life the same.
Score
March 21, 2012 2:36:37 PM

jaquithThis is a bunch of crapola, your skin temperature is about 33 °C or 91 °F. Running some oddball benchmark means zip. I like my 'new iPad and haven't noticed any differences. If that bothers anyone then you're a baby -- go away.The reason it is slightly heavier and thicker is due to added battery size from additional drain by the 4-core GPU and added 4G LTE to keep the battery life the same.

I'd like for you to sit in a room that is heated at 91 °F. Trust me, it will not feel comfortable.
Score
March 21, 2012 2:44:32 PM

A Bad DayI'd like for you to sit in a room that is heated at 91 °F. Trust me, it will not feel comfortable.

Thats almost pushing the threshold for operating room temperature. Plus sitting in a 91º F room is uncomfortable already.
Score
Anonymous
March 21, 2012 2:49:43 PM

Its all part of the plan.

If anyone bothers to complain (most will not) apple will replace your ipad with a refurbished ipad. Then they will send your ipad to foxconn where 2 workers must spit shine every ipad return worldwide. The ipad then becomes a refurbished unit, to be sold at a minor discount or given to anyone who complains. If you are very lucky they might even wipe your data!
Score
March 21, 2012 2:51:02 PM

A Bad DayI'd like for you to sit in a room that is heated at 91 °F. Trust me, it will not feel comfortable.

If i sit in a room that is heated 33,6°C or 91°F I turn on the air conditioner and will feel confortable
Score
March 21, 2012 2:53:22 PM

Quote:
Since the iPad's launch four days ago, the tech industry is comparing every aspect of the device to its predecessor, the iPad 2. Aside from the obvious differences (the quad-core graphics, retina display, double the RAM, and massive battery), we've already learned that the iPad 3 is a little bit heavier and a little bit thicker than the iPad 2.

Wow, it took the tech industry four days to figure that one out? Funny, it took me all of 3 seconds...Anything with a larger battery is going to be heavier, and beefier components are going to run hotter (usually). How is this news?
Score
March 21, 2012 3:04:00 PM

New iPad Runs 10°F Hotter than iPad 2; Apple Says It's Cool............yeah until the battery gets hacked and the thermal protection gets turned off.
Score
March 21, 2012 3:09:51 PM

91 °F? That's night time temps where I live :p  I would be in heaven if that was as high as the temperature got here.
Score
March 21, 2012 3:11:15 PM

new ipad spec needs more power than its predecessor, does it means produce more heat? 10 F difference was not too good for AAPL, but perhaps for some/many or most people its was only minor matter, since it has all new retina display, more ram and better processor
Score
March 21, 2012 3:23:27 PM

If I were a potential iPad buyer right now, I'd day the iPad 2 is a superior device for the purpose for which it is designed.
IMO, the higher resolution is not all that noticeable at the distance you would normally hold the device at. The color saturation is really nice though.
However, as a media consumption device, lighter, cooler, and cheaper wins, considering the (again IMO) minor differences between the two. I've seen new iPad2s for as low as $360.

On the other hand, as an Apple stock holder, please buy the new one.

Sent from my Asus Transformer Prime TF201, rooted and overclocked with Virtuous Prime ROM.
Score
March 21, 2012 3:26:13 PM

At-least I know that if I ever get into a plane crash and land in arctic conditions my iPad will keep me warm and stop me from freezing to death. Also Jane just so you know if we by chance ever share this same fate together, I'll share the warmth of from the iPad with you.
Score
March 21, 2012 3:55:16 PM

shardeyThats almost pushing the threshold for operating room temperature. Plus sitting in a 91º F room is uncomfortable already.

In contrast if you're in the Tundra you'd welcome the +10º F! :) 

My PC gets 60º C~70º @ 4.8GHz when I benchmark and drops down to 35º C in NORMAL operation.

Folks come in two (2) flavors: Love Apple products (iPhone, iPad, etc) Hate Apple (IMO wish they had iPhone, iPad, etc). Apple envy. If you like your Android then good for you, my wife and friends have them as well, and most folks have more problems -- their choice.

I don't go to the Samsung or whatever flavor reviews and know them. Proof is in the SALES, if Apple were so bad then I guarantee there wouldn't be the HUGE following.
Score
March 21, 2012 4:15:25 PM

kentlowt91 °F? That's night time temps where I live I would be in heaven if that was as high as the temperature got here.

As a spoiled Midwestern, 91 °F would be sufficient to keep me awake, drenched in sweat.
Score
March 21, 2012 4:19:47 PM

Apple has decided to market the extra heat from the IPad3 as "Thermal Acquiescence" and it will be similar to it's "Retina Display" and Apple will claim it is the only one with thee new patented "Thermal Acquiescence " design in their products.
Score
March 21, 2012 4:30:46 PM

10F hotter and it even doesn't even browse faster. OMG =P
Score
March 21, 2012 6:24:56 PM

92.5 degrees fahrenheit isn't that bad, but any increase in temperature will reduce the lifespan of the Lithium Ion battery.
Score
March 21, 2012 6:58:05 PM

It gets hotter when u play games, but when u do anything else it is normal temp.

Am I wrong here?
Score
March 21, 2012 7:20:01 PM

long term skin and tissue exposure to elevated temperatures can & will cause lasting nerve and tissue injury:

* i.e. damage your testicles --> http://www.peoplesdaily-online.com/news/healthy-living/...

*i.e. look up laptop induced dermatits

and it's uncomfortable in your lap for extended periods... in other words apple might be smart to fix this in their next fanboy device.
Score
March 21, 2012 8:32:12 PM

jaquithIn contrast if you're in the Tundra you'd welcome the +10º F! My PC gets 60º C~70º @ 4.8GHz when I benchmark and drops down to 35º C in NORMAL operation. Folks come in two (2) flavors: Love Apple products (iPhone, iPad, etc) Hate Apple (IMO wish they had iPhone, iPad, etc). Apple envy. If you like your Android then good for you, my wife and friends have them as well, and most folks have more problems -- their choice. I don't go to the Samsung or whatever flavor reviews and know them. Proof is in the SALES, if Apple were so bad then I guarantee there wouldn't be the HUGE following.

They're citing the temperature of device case, not the SoC. The temperature of the SoC will undoubtedly be much higher.
Score
March 21, 2012 8:57:23 PM

Well it all makes sense. More pixels added = more GPU power needed = More RAM needed = more battery power needed = more heat generated. 10 degrees is a fair sized jump but its the price you pay for higher performance. Now if there was only a way to convert that heat into energy! Self charging iPad would be insane! heh
Score
March 21, 2012 9:08:03 PM

gwwernerFrom the WSJ: "Consumer Reports said the new iPad can get as hot as 116 degrees Fahrenheit while performing processor-intensive tasks such as playing videogames for an extended period while plugged in." That's getting up there. Owners might need to put it on a laptop cooling pad instead of directly on their lap.

Wow, 116 degrees is extremely hot, that's almost 47ºC. This will certainly make the device uncomfortable to hold for longer periods. And this is with a mild spring ambient temperature, I can only imagine what temperatures will the iPad reach in the summer.

But it's strange why this happens. My PS Vita is always cold, I never noticed it overheating and I played on it a lot longer than 45 min. I mention the Vita because it's SoC is not that dissimilar from the one on the iPad. Both have the same GPU, the SGX543MP4+ and both have a ARM Cortex-A9 MPCore CPU. The SGX543MP4+ has a standard clock speed of 200MHz, but in the Vita it can reach as high as 400MHz according to the needs. I don't know the clock Apple uses for their GPU. The biggest difference difference is that the ARM Cortex-A9 MPCore used on the iPad 3 has 2 cores clocked at 1GHz and in the Vita has 4 cores clocked at 2GHz.
Score
March 21, 2012 9:13:41 PM

Stop playing processor intensive games on your iPad, that what your gaming consoles are for. Use your iPad for looking a websites, Youtube, facetime, movies, etc. and stuff that was meant for the iPad. The most intensive thing your iPad should have to do is run a 1080p video, it does that fine barely any noticeable heat. Compared to my laptop while watching 1080p, the heat is non existent.
Score
March 21, 2012 9:19:49 PM

d8v1dStop playing processor intensive games on your iPad, that what your gaming consoles are for. Use your iPad for looking a websites, Youtube, facetime, movies, etc. and stuff that was meant for the iPad. The most intensive thing your iPad should have to do is run a 1080p video, it does that fine barely any noticeable heat. Compared to my laptop while watching 1080p, the heat is non existent.

Then what's the point in the new iPad?
Score
March 21, 2012 10:40:30 PM

neon871New iPad Runs 10°F Hotter than iPad 2; Apple Says It's Cool............yeah until the battery gets hacked and the thermal protection gets turned off.

Oh please god make this happen
Score
March 21, 2012 11:20:09 PM

FOR FAK SAKE, Americunts, learn METRIC.

For the rest of the world:
ipad3 33.6 °C
ipad2 28.3 °C
*Americunts won't understand.
Score
March 22, 2012 12:10:27 AM

10°F Hotter is not a serious business but 10°F Hotter with 10% shorter battery life is a SERIOUS FLAW!
Score
March 22, 2012 12:19:16 AM

So why don't we call it "the hot iPad" instead of the new one ?
I mean ... they left us the choice of its name, didn't they ?
Score
March 22, 2012 1:00:11 AM

I can't complain about my 3rd gen iPad temps. I don't find it at all uncomfortable, even while its charging. The CPU in my MBP OTOH gets hot enough to boil water on occasion.
Score
March 22, 2012 1:16:35 AM

In other news... an iPad owner who bought a iPad2 who then bought an iPad3 can't wait till an iPad4 who also says iPads are the best who doesn't realize if it's so good why did you already give up your iPad or iPad2.

Stupid ass device, purdy soon it will be another laptop......
Score
March 22, 2012 1:29:22 AM

I'd love to hear Woz's thoughts about this!!!!
Score
March 22, 2012 4:07:25 AM

neon871New iPad Runs 10°F Hotter than iPad 2; Apple Says It's Cool............yeah until the battery gets hacked and the thermal protection gets turned off.

This would be like blaming samsung for taking your galaxy s3 and throwing it on the ground and demanding a replacement on the basis that it's flawed...
Score
March 22, 2012 9:39:24 AM

In celsium this only 5 degrees. not much
Score
March 22, 2012 9:51:15 AM

but being hot is cool, didn't you ever go to high school?
Score
!