Intel® Core i7 3820 Processor good for serious gaming?

johndud

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2011
is this processor good for serious gaming? i dont want to have to buy another for a few years

Intel® Core™ i7 3820 Processor (4x 3.60GHz/10MB L3 Cache)

johndud

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2011
Why get an i5 for gaming? is it just the cheaper? i was deciding between this Intel® Core™ i7 3930K Processor (6x 3.20GHz/12MB L3 Cache) and the original processor i posted, i just dont want to have to buy a processor for a long time, i really only do gaming but hopefully i will get into video editing

iamcacao

Honorable
Aug 7, 2012

If you're not on a budget just get the 3930k (it's what I have and believe me, it's awesome), sure people say it's overkill but if you have the money for it and you will be getting into video editing, just go for it! It will definitely make it more future proof than an i5.

I decided to add a more detailed answer.
For gaming the i5s are as good as they get especially when overclocked while. The i7s on the 1055 platform ie 3770K are as good for gaming but cost more and are better for video editing. The 2011 i7s come in 4 and 6 core versions the 3820 you mentioned has no benefit really over the 3770K especially if you overclock the 3770K while the 6 core 3930K has 6 cores and though this has only a small benefit in a few games it helps hugely when video editing. The full story is even longer but basically the i5s are far better for value the i7 3770K is better only for video editing, the 3820 is not as good as the 3770K for much and the 3930K is the best you can get but you pay for it. If money is no object get the 3830K but if all you want if no not have to buy a new CPU for longer this alone does not justify the cast and don't get the 3820 whatever.

johndud

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2011

So i should just get this processor? and if i overclock it, it will be better than 3820? they do have it at ibuypower, thats where im buying from

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2372989&sku=I69-3770K&SRCCODE=WEBGOOCPU&cm_mmc_o=mH4CjC7BBTkwCjCECjCE&gclid=CLmDmvy-3bECFcHsKgodqHUA9w

Its as good as the 3820 without overclocking and you can overclock it to much better. Its a CPU you will not regret buying but I will not recommend it to much without knowing what GPU you will pair it with, because if you are planning to get a $200 GPU I would say get the i5 and a better GPU for sure.

save a little cash and get the 670 if you get a good 1 you can match and beat the 680 in some games. also just get the i5 sandy if you want to oc. the 2500k will be enough or the similar perfoming i5 ivy.
you can potentially spend a lot of money on components you will hardly ever use. if you dont plan on tri sli or crossfiring then get a motherboard with 1 or 2 pci-e x16/x8 slots. not 1 with 3 or 4.
if all your gonna do is game get 8 gigs of ram in 2x4 gigs to take advantage of dual channel mode... getting 4x2 gigs will cause system stability and ram not to show up because if its over a certain speed then you can only use 1 stick per channel.

put the money you save into a larger faster ssd. your system and you will really thank me for that tidbit...

johndud

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2011
So this is what im looking at: http://www.ibuypower.com/Store/Special-A

Case
Thermaltake Armor Revo Full Tower Gaming Case - Black
Case Lighting
None
iBUYPOWER Labs - Noise Reduction
None
iBUYPOWER Labs - Internal Expansion
None
Processor
Intel® Core™ i7-3770K Processor (4x 3.50GHz/8MB L3 Cache) - Intel Core i7-3770K w/
iBUYPOWER PowerDrive
None
Processor Cooling
Corsair Hydro Series H60 Liquid CPU Cooling System - ARC Dual Silent High Performance Fan Upgrade (Push-Pull Airflow)
Memory
8 GB [2 GB X4] DDR3-1600 Memory Module - Corsair or Major Brand
Video Card
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670 - 2GB - EVGA FTW - Core: 1084MHz - Single Card
Video Card Brand
Major Brand Powered by AMD or NVIDIA
Motherboard
ASUS P8Z77-V LK -- 2x PCI-E 3.0 x16, 4x USB 3.0
Intel Smart Response Technology
None
Power Supply
800 Watt - Standard
Primary Hard Drive
1 TB HARD DRIVE -- 32M Cache, 7200 RPM, 6.0Gb/s - Single Drive**Free Upgrade to 2TB SATA 6.0Gb/s Single Drive**
Data Hard Drive
None
Optical Drive
24X Dual Format/Double Layer DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW Drive - Black
2nd Optical Drive
None
Flash Media Reader / Writer
12-In-1 Internal Flash Media Card Reader/Writer - Black
Meter Display
NZXT Sentry 2 Touch Screen Fan Controller & Temperature Display
USB Expansion
None
Sound Card
3D Premium Surround Sound Onboard
Network Card
Intel Pro 10/100/1000 Network Card
Operating System
None- Pre-formatted Hard Drive Only
Keyboard
iBUYPOWER Standard Gaming Keyboard
Mouse
iBUYPOWER Standard Gaming Mouse - Blood Red
Monitor
None
2nd Monitor
None
Speaker System
None
Video Camera
None
Case Engraving Service
None
Warranty
3 Year Standard Warranty Service
Rush Service
Rush Service Fee (not shipping fee) - No Rush Service, Estimate Ship Out in 5~10 Business Days
Advanced Build Options
1 x Professional wiring for all cables inside the system tower Achieve exceptional airflow in your chassis
Advanced Build Options
1 x Basic Pro Wiring
Free Stuff
1 x [BTS Sale] - $20 Instant OFF on all NVIDIA GeForce Series Video Cards
Advanced Build Options
1 x iBUYPOWER Specialized Advanced Packaging System Protect your investment during transportation!
Advanced Build Options
1 x Tuniq TX-2 High Performance Thermal Compound The best interface between your CPU and the heatsinks

But why should i get a SSD? And if i choose a no operating system, only preformatted HD only will it even have basic windows 7? im keeping the HD from my old computer to put in my new one, so do i even need to buy an operating system? and if i dont how will i make it so when i first run the computer it will load up my HD???

ps: sorry im a noob, ive only ever installed a psu and a gpu, and ive never bought a computer that wasnt ready to use out of the box. btw the cost is at $1585.00

digdog

Honorable
Mar 8, 2012
drop the H60 and get a coolermaster EVO212
drop the card reader, fan controller.
drop the 800w psu and get a 600w.
drop the 3770k and get a 3570k
buy a crucial m4 128gb SSD

btw, i put this pc together for a friend yesterday and it came to about £700 (about $1k)

A SSD will speed up loading time massively but will not help gaming performance, its very nice to have but not needed. If you don't get windows it will not come with windows and you will need to buy a copy before you can do anything. The build looks good except I don't trust a power supply described as standard and suggest you get an Antec or Corsair one.

johndud

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2011

So your saying i cant just install the harddrive im using right now and use that windows? and use new HD just for a backup storage?? i dont want to have to buy a new windows copy, i hardly ever even use most apps, ill probly get the different psu if i dont get windows. And are you saying get an SSD cache or just a SSD in place of the HD, im trying to stay under $1600.00, i mainly just game, but if my comp will handle it i want to get into making videos for youtube with my buddys

@DigDog they dont have any of that hardware on ibuypower except for the psu and cpu, and i also want to get into video editing thats why i want to get the better processor