Crysis 2 DirectX®11 plus High Res Textures

jemm

Distinguished
ASUS P6T | CPU i7 920 | CM Hyper 212+ | GPU HD 5870 | Patriot Viper 12GB 1600MHz @ 1333MHz | HD WD 1TB Sata II | DVD Pionner Dual Layer | Corsair 850W | Aerocool BX500 | AOC H428Pw 42\\\" + LG W2353V 23\\\" | W7 64 Bits | HT-C350 Sangung

jemm

Distinguished
The film was made before the AMD Catalyst Control Center / AMD Vision Engine Control Center 11.8 Driver, which improves performance up to 10% in Crysis 2 DirectX 11 version for both non-Anti-Aliasing, and application enabled Anti-Aliasing cases [plus up to 30% when AMD's Morphological Anti-Aliasing (MLAA) is enabled] on the AMD Radeon™ HD 6000 and AMD Radeon HD 5000 series of products.

Nonetheless, there might be a problem in some of my hardware, my mobo is dead now, and I am trying RMA it.

jemm

Distinguished
Seems your 5870 does'nt like that game maybe due to the lack of tesselation prowess of the 5800 archtecture.

What is "tesselation prowess"?

Anyway, I always tought the HD (not SSD) was responsible for any "lag" as it has to write all that has been recording (the film itself) with Fraps.

Alex The PC Gamer

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2007
Not sure how much of a performance hit you take when recording (say in FRAPS) but that might be one (of multiple issues). Disregard this comment if you've used a capture card. Also, why not republish your video with new drivers???

Tesselation is the process of increasing number of polygons an object has as designed by the graphic arts using software. One of the effects is to increase details and realism of textures. The Radeon HD 5xxx series cannot do it as efficiently as the Radeon HD 6xxx (and up coming Radeon HD 7xxx series); so it takes a bigger performance hit.

Get another 5870 and you'll be fine lol. Running a pair of 5850s myself and Crysis 2 at Ultra/DX11 is pretty much pegged at 60fps, dips to the 50s sometimes. Haven't played in a few months though. That said, recording induces a lot of issues so you can't really run as smoothly. I think it's a combination of things. I tried saving to SSD instead of HDD and didn't really see a change. For the most part, it seems like it's CPU bound by the FRAPS recording process.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_M68W6xHs0

jemm

Distinguished

I might do that at some point, I had a major issue on my motherboard, and it got RMAed. I am waiting for it now.

jemm

Distinguished

Yes, I just realised that ´tesselation prowess´was a typo.

jemm

Distinguished

I have always tought about a CF, that´s why I´ve got a 850W PSU, however a 5870 costs around US$ 435 at my location. Few days ago I have opened this thread: ´Radeon HD5870: Does it worth a CF?´ http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/335724-33-radeon-hd5870-worth

casualcolors

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011

Crytek fails because a 5870 isn't sufficient to run the game in dx11 + hi-res textures + recording at 1080. Well I mean it's hard to argue with a rock solid stance like this.